- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 3 - Pub Night

Amber closed the clasp of her necklace and swung the pendant around to lay in front.  Her Black dress had a closed front and the pendent sat  pretty and perky  on the taught fabric of her chest. Amber flipped her hair an examiner herself in the mirror.  She was pleased wit herself. 

As Amber reached for a pair of pumps, Pal came out of the bathroom toothbrush in mouth. "Where are we going again?"


"Pub Trivia," Amber said. She opened up a jewelry box on her dressed and scrounged for earrings to match. Something... green.


"I meant which place," Paul said. Disappearing to spit out into the bathroom sink. 


"Finnigan's," Amber said. She took the Red Shrink My Spouse card from the dresser to reexamine the rules. It's between Pilot Drive and Queensland road.


Paul reentered the bedroom, donning a shirt and buttoning it up. He and Amber hadn't gone anywhere in a while. It felt nice put the effort in to look good. "I don't think we've ever been there."


Amber Nodded, still looking at the Netflix Card "It says here that they want us to work together. First we competed and now we need to cooperate." Amber flipped over the card and envelope. There was nothing on the back. "I suppose they want us to fight in front of the camera."


"Fight?" Paul asked. "Why do you say that?"


Amber rolled her eyes, "Come on Paul, that's their whole purpose. For the TV SHOW!" Amber stepped closer to Paul offering him a necktie. "They need Drama for ratings... this is why  Vanessa  asks us questions on camera - so we embarrass ourselves."


Paul smiled at Amber, "I think you'd have to try pretty hard to embarrass yourself in front of me."


Amber smiled back and the two embraced each other. Paul kissed her forehead and lifted his chin to rest it atop her hair. 


"Just don't ask me any sports questions, because I've got nothing."


Amber considered how well she could handle that type of heavy lifting.


_ _ _


It was several rounds into Trivia night. 4 rounds of obscure questions, and 3 rounds of drinks. Amber's martini glass stood next to Paul's Pint of Beer. Hers was nearly empty his quite full. 


The bar was noisy with Patron, the clatters of glasses, and the loud voice of the Emcee. The Trivia Game Master stood in front of the backwall, a large projector beside him.


As expected, the couple did poorly on Sports. Amber did know who the highest paid Baseball player was - Mike Trout - but by her own admission this was only because, "He's sorta hot."

Still their score wasn't piss poor. 


In their own Corner sat Vanessa and Roger. The Camera focused on the perfect couple. Roger had one eye closed and one eye glued to the lens. Vanessa listened to Paul and Amber thru a headset. 


The Emcee clicked his remote and the projector brought up a new slide. "Alright ladies and Gentlemen, it's time for Literature. Let's find out who's well read."


Paul and Amber perked up. These seemed like the time to cinch the prize.


"The Island of Numenor, given as a gift to the heroic men of Middle Earth is also known by which name."


Everyone waited uneasy for their options. Paul held tightly to his golf pencil and scorecard.


"A - Aman." 


Paul and Amber locked eyes before shaking their heads.


"B - Arthedain"


Amber raised a finger to her mouth in consideration.


"C - Andor"


Paul scribbled B on the scorecard. Amber looked at him with shock.


"What are you doing? The answer is C," she said.


"No it is not."


"Yes, it is!" Amber said a little louder.


“Amber,” Paul said with strained patience. “Endor is from Star Wars, that is not the answer.”


“ANDOR!” Amber said, correcting him. “You misheard him.”


Paul gestured for her to lower her voice. Vanessa and Roger were looking on with keen interest. 


“Next question,” The Emcee Continued. "Mary Shelly's Frankenstein is an early example of science fiction - what is its full title? Please fill in the blank..."


Paul started writing this next answer - he had it with 100% Confidence. 


Amber looked at him, "You need to change the other answer."


"Amber" Paul sighed, "The Edain were the men who helped the Elves against Morgoth. Arthedain has to be named for them - Numenor & Numenorians - it just fits okay."


Paul reached for his Pint of beer. “You’re drunk,” he said.


"I know I'm right," Amber said.


Paul's glass was unsteady is his hand. He felt nervous - also the beer was heavy.


"Next slide please," the Emcee joked with himself. He clicks his remote and the 3rd question appeared. 


"Lewis Carrol, author of Alice in wonderland, included many jokes from his other area of expertise... He was an accomplished..."


"Do you know this one?" Paul asked. 


Amber wasn't looking at him. "Mathematician."


Paul copied her answer. 


"Your handwriting is so messy," Amber nitpicked.


"Questions 4," The Emcee announced.


"Do you want to write down the answers?" Paul asked. He didn't like that she was upset. He also still felt something else. Nerves. His legs were shaking on his stool. He let his foot slip from the rest and fall. He shoes swung in the open air.


"The Pencil," Amber said. Reaching out across the table. "What do you think for this one?"


"Which one?" Paul asked confused.


"Question 4." Amber said.


Paul hadn't heard the Emcee finish, "Whatever you think" he said.


"I've no idea," Amber shrugged. "I've never read Mark Twain."  


Paul looked around bewildered. He glanced over to the Projector "Mark Twain's real name is Samuel Clements, How did this Author come up with his pen name."


"River Boats," Paul Blurted. "He lived on the Missisippi..."


Amber looked at him sizing him up, doubt in her eyes. 


Paul looked over at Vanessa and Roger, still filming, still observing him. Vanessa's briefcase open in her lap.


"Its a water thing," Paul said to Amber. 


Amber tilted her head, now seeing the discomfort in her husbands, face. "Are you okay."


Paul glanced back to Vanessa and Roger again. "Amber, its happening - I'm shrinking."


Amber followed Paul's gaze, and then looked again at Paul. He was indeed smaller. 


"Why is this happening?" Paul asked.


"Final Question, Ladies and Gentlemen."


Amber got up and walked around the table. She stood up above him as he sat on the stool.


"William Shakespeare was born..." the Emcee continued. 


"I told you I was right," Amber said. 


"What?" Paul asked.


"Who was Shakespeare's wife, was it..."


Amber looked down at Paul on her perch. "We were supposed to work together, you ignored my answer and now their shrinking you for it."


"A - Susanna Hall"


Paul looked at Amber pleadingly. "How do we make it stop."


"B - Judith Quiney"


"I guess we have to collaborate again," Amber said.


"C - Anne Hathaway"


Paul took another drink from his pint. The glass felt unnatural in his hands.


"Change the Numenor answer," Paul said. 


Amber scribbled on the scorecard. "Only know that Shakespeare had a daughter named Judith," she said. "So I think Judith is a red herring."


Paul nodded with Amber. "His son in law was John Hall," Paul offered sheepishly. "I only know, because Shakespeare's Granddaughter was named Elizabeth..."


"So it must be Anne Hathaway." Amber said. As she filled out "C" on her answer sheet.


A waitress came by to collect their answers. Amber stood beside Paul, who sat still on his stool. He didn't feel his nerves anymore but he wished he could hide.


"I don't think you're getting any smaller," Amber said. She gave his back a little rub. 


"That's good," Paul said.


Against the backwall of the Pub the Emcee took his remote and Microphone again. The Projector moved to the next slide, "Congratulations," it read.


"We have our winners," the Emcee said, his voice filling the whole place and creating silence. "By only 1 single point, we have the Collins' - Paul and Amber come up and take your trophy!"


Amber took Paul's hand and led him across the pub to the stage. Paul could barely raise his head as he followed his wife. In her heels she seemed like she was high up on a pedestal. Head and Shoulders above him. 

Without them would she still be taller than him. It had only been a single screwed up day and now here he was. 

How much so?


Amber clopped along the wooded floor of the pub. She took a gift card from the Emcee and escorted Paul out of the bar. Polite applause followed them. So too did some finger pointing and whispers. 

 

 

 

In the far Corner Vanessa and Roger gave each other a thumbs up amongst the ruckus.

 

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.