- Text Size +

Dear Diary,
Today I got one of the scariest orders from Commissioner Hope. They say the force is scary, but this is taking it to the next level. I have only been in the Distropolis Police Syndicate for a month, and I already know way too much about Officer Mitchells. People call her Candy Cane, and everyone is scared of her. Basically, she has powers like a superhero, and she can shrink people. It’s never been done to me, but I’ve seen it happen. I once went into the bathroom, and there she was in one of the stalls, sitting on a toilet seat. To my horror, it looked like Officer Bradley was shrunken to the size of a thumb, and she was sitting right on top of him. Then she saw me so I ran. It was too late. She knows I saw that. I know that she knows I saw that. I was wondering when she was going to come after me, but she never did. I’ve tried my best to avoid her, and I haven’t made eye contact with her or her friends in the past week. And now the Commissioner wants me to WORK WITH HER? HELP HER ON AN INVESTIGATION?? With all due respect Mr. Commissioner, what the hell is wrong with you? Not like I will actually tell him that. Tomorrow I have to actually talk to her. TO HER! I am not going to have a good night’s sleep.

“You look upset,” Rachel said, putting a store-bought coffee on Cindy’s desk.
“Thanks,” Cindy sighed, handing her friend a five dollar bill.
“So why is the immortal Candy Cane upset?” Rachel asked as she sipped her own coffee, “Did another guy bail on you?”
“Ugh no,” Cindy shook her head, “I can just kidnap him if I actually wanted him.”
“Right.”
“No, I’m pissed that Hope gave me a partner.”
“A partner? What, for the Grundy Case?”
“Exactly. Doesn’t he know that I can do this shit alone? In fact, I do this shit better alone.”
“Come on, a little help can’t hurt.”
“Rachel,” Cindy said as she looked her friend in the eye, “Do you remember the last time I had a partner?” Rachel nodded.
“Not everyone is gonna be like Bradley,” she assured, “You haven’t even met this guy yet, what are you so worried about?”
“Bradley showed that people aren’t good for me and, more importantly, I’m not good for people. I don’t need more people judging the way I do things. I already get enough from everyone’s looks.”
“Mitchells!” Hope yelled from across the room, “It’s time!” Cindy sighed and stood up, noticing that everyone was staring at her.
“I’m not as sweet as I look,” she smiled, putting a hand on her breast. Everyone, well at least most, looked away.

Dear Diary,
I am going to try my best to describe my first encounter with Officer Mitchells. I was really nervous while I was waiting in the meeting room, and I felt lightheaded. It was hard to focus on anything, but that all changed when she walked in. Much like every other time I had seen her, she was wearing her uniform in the most revealing and sexually charged way possible. The sad part is, it works. I could not keep my eyes off of her as she walked towards me. Her long legs that extended out of her inviting skirt and her large cleavage that she should probably show less of were among the many things I tried very hard not to stare at. I understand how dangerous this woman is, which is why I am ashamed of the way my brain naturally perceives her. She sat across from me, making me notice that we were both the same height. Maybe I was a little taller. She looked angry, even though we haven’t even talked yet. She must’ve been upset that I saw her doing whatever she was doing with Officer Bradley.
“Last time I had a partner,” she spoke as she crossed her arms, “I made him quit the force.” I gulped and looked away at the door.
“People are scared of me,” she said as she stood up, “Do you know why?” I nodded, glancing back and forth from the door. She walked around the table and towards me, and sat down next to me, between the door and I. I looked up at her face, which had gone from a stern look to a little smirk. I leaned back into my chair.
“Tell me,” she said, leaning in, “Are you scared of me?” She was very close to me. She smelled like sugar.
“Yes,” was the only reply I could come up with. Hearing this, her smirk became closer to a grin, and she let her hand out towards me.
“I’m Cindy Mitchells,” she smiled, “Nice to meet you.” I let out a deep breath, and I shook her hand.
“Thomas Phealan,” I replied, “Nice to meet you too.” Her hand was soft and warm, yet had a firm grip. At least it was the same size as mine. I think she noticed that I was shivering. She leaned in even closer, and I closed my eyes. She then let go of my hand, stood up, and laughed.
“Don’t get ahead of yourself Thomas,” she said, walking back to her original seat across the table. I took a deep breath.
“Sorry,” I said.
“Awe, don’t apologize,” she taunted, “You didn’t do anything wrong. Let’s talk about the case.” I nodded and glanced at the door.
“I don’t mind the staring too much,” she said, “But you should at least look at me when we’re talking.” Hearing this, I slowly turned back to look at her, trying my best to keep my eyes on her face. It was surprisingly easy, since her enchanting green eyes kept me locked in.
“The case,” I spoke hesitantly, “Tell me about it.”
“Yes sir,” she smiled, “James Grundy, 35 year old accountant, was found dead in one of the busiest residence streets in town.” She pulled out a picture from her breast pocket and put it on the table.
“Now you should look at the picture, not at me,” she suggested.
“Sorry,” I replied, immediately looking down. The image of the body was one of the strangest I’ve ever seen. The way his body was sprawled out, he must’ve been crushed between two large masses. But his body showed no bruises, so the best explanation for this must be…I looked back up at Officer Mitchells, but this time at her cleavage.
“Oh wow,” she said, as she started to gently stroke her right breast with her index finger, “You figured it out that fast?”
“Did you…kill him?” I asked, getting ready to spring out of my chair.
“No,” she replied, firmly putting her hand on the table. I looked back at her eyes.
“But that’s what it looks like, until I find the true killer.” I sighed and slowly nodded.
“So where do we start?” I asked. This is where she stood up and started to head towards the door.
“I’ll let you know if I need anything,” she said, and left the room. Just like that, I was back being by myself, still lightheaded. Officer Mitchells is scary, and she knows it. I’m scared of her, and she knows that too. But in all honesty, I’m not dreading working with her anymore. I hope I can help her catch this killer.

“You seem happier than I expected,” Rachel said. Her and Cindy were both on their lunch break.
“I wouldn’t say happy,” Cindy replied.
“So how was your, you know, new partner?”
“He was…better than Bradley.”
“Okay okay, that’s a start,” Rachel nodded, “What was he like?”
“He was sacred shitless of me,” Cindy laughed.
“Okay but that’s everyone.”
“Yes I know but, he was properly scared out of his god damn pants. He didn’t want to look at me, he was shaking the whole time, and he kept apologizing.”
“And this is a good thing?”
“Yes,” Cindy affirmed, “This guy, Thomas I think, I don’t have to treat him like a person. I mean I will but, you know what I mean? How do I say this, he’s less like a partner and more of a…toy. A cute little toy. Do I sound crazy?” Hearing this, Rachel sighed.
“Unfortunately,” she said, “I expected nothing more.”

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry for the slow start, I'm now prioritizing introducing the characters and establishing relationships. But don't worry, things will start ramping up very soon.