- Text Size +

NEWS AT NINE:
Good morning everyone, and welcome to News at Nine. My name is Simon Richer, giving you all the relevant news of Distropolis. This morning the DPS has reported that Matthew Kane, dubbed by the people as the Gryphon, has confessed to his crimes and has been sent to Melbourne Prison. Kane was a suspect of drug trade, murder, and organized crime for the past ten years, and was finally apprehended by Officer Cindy Mitchells. Today I have a guest, reporter of Distropolis Daily Alana Parker, who would like to share her thoughts on this. Thank you for coming Ms. Parker.
“Thank you for having me.”
So you believe that there is something fishy about the Gryphon’s confession, correct?
“Yes, I do. People like him, the whole reason they have so much power is because they never falter. They are stubborn. They would use every single fragment of their resources to stay in power. So why, after ten years, was a simple officer able to get him to confess? And why did he plead for a lifetime sentence? Isn’t that strange?”
Why do you think that is?
“I think there are many possibilities. Perhaps Mitchells is working with the Gryphon, and this is a grand plan to fool the justice system. That makes the most sense to me. Or maybe Mitchells’s methods of interrogation were extreme, so extreme that even a man like Matthew Kane crumbled in it. If this is the case, maybe the interrogation itself is unethical. Either way, I believe Mitchells should be thoroughly investigated. I am thankful that the Gryphon is put away, but not if it's just replaced with something worse.”


Commissioner Hope looked up as his office door opened.
“Uh, you wanted to speak with me?” said a shy voice.
“Ah, Phealan,” Hope nodded, “Come in, take a seat.” Thomas Phealan quietly entered the commissioner’s office and sat down in the chair across from him. There was a TV on the wall, and the people on it were talking about the Gryphon.
“Watch,” Hope said.
“I believe Mitchells should be throughly investigated. I am thankful that the Gryphon is put away, but not if it’s just replaced with something worse.” The commissioner turned off the TV.
“Officer Mitchells,” Thomas muttered.
“You’ve had the chance to meet her, correct?” Hope asked. Thomas nodded.
“And did she show you what happened to James Grundy?” Thomas nodded again, this time slower.
“You’re a smart kid,” Hope said, “You know what happened to him.”
“He was shrunk,” Thomas stated, “And crushed to death. And it might be Officer Mitchells.”
“Forensics have shown that Grundy orgasmed directly before his death, multiple times.”
“Crushing, possibility of shrinking, and sexual implications,” Thomas nodded, “All signs point at one direction. But Commissioner, with all due respect, I think you’re wrong.”
“Is that so?” Hope lifted his eyebrows.
“She’s just…not acting like a killer would. I think there’s something else at play here.” Hearing this, Hope nodded in approval.
“I thought you would say that,” he said, “I don’t think she did it either. That’s why I put you two on this case. Her—well—I’m hoping her desperation to prove her innocence is enough to drive her to the solution. And you, you’re smarter than half the idiots on the force.”
“I don’t know what to do Commissioner,” Thomas looked away and at the blank TV.
“About what?” Hope asked.
“I’m scared. Of her.”
“And you act like that’s a bad thing?”


““Okay okay!” I screamed, “I confess! I am the crime lord Gryphon! Please make this stop.” She took me out from her tits, gave me a kiss with her big ass lips, grew me back, and arrested me. I guess she was a cop the whole time.”
The recording ended, and Thomas let out a breath. He was using one of the computers in the Distropolis Police Syndicate’s (DPS) public library, where most low-ranking officers came to research and analyze. Thomas rewinded the voice recording.
“grabbed me by my foot and dangled me in front of her face. I couldn’t do anything but ask her to let me go. I’ve never felt so humiliated in my life! This bitch, she licked me, my entire body. In one second my whole fucking body was just drenched in her spit.”
“You now,” Thomas heard a voice behind him, “I totally forgot that I licked him.” The young officer’s eyes widened and his entire body jumped. He turned his chair around to see Officer Mitchells standing right behind him with a paper cup in her hand and a smirk on her face.
“Officer Mitchells!” he exclaimed, “What are you doing here?!”
“Last I heard this is a public library,” the woman replied, “And to bring you this.” She set down the paper cup next to Thomas. It was coffee.
“Oh uh, thank you,” he thanked her.
“Lemme see what you’re working on, partner,” Cindy stated, and she pulled up a chair next to him. Thomas’s hand shot for the mouse, and he attempted to close the voice recording. However, as soon as he placed his hand on the mouse, Cindy put her hand on top of his. He looked up at her face, turning a little red.
“Awe, don’t be shy,” she giggled, “He assigned you to work with me of all people. It would be stupid to not do your research.”
“Right,” Thomas nervously nodded. Cindy’s hand guided his hand and the mouse away from the “close” button, and to “play”. Thomas clicked, and the voice recording resumed.
“She tells me to confess my crimes or some shit, and I’m like, “Hell no bitch, who the fuck do you think you are?””
“Awe man, he’s skipping over all the foreplay,” Cindy complained, “I put a lot of effort in that."
““I’m the girl that loves when people don’t cooperate, because I loooove to punish,” she says, which was pretty god damn intimidating.”
“Now that’s more like it,” Cindy nodded, crossing her arms.
“She…she then…she then lowered me down to her tits—“ Thomas closed the recording.
“Oh come on,” Cindy said, “It was just getting good.”
“Sorry,” Thomas shook his head, “It was just….”
“You feel awkward listening to this in front of me,” she nodded, “I guess that’s understandable.”
“You seem comfortable with this,” Thomas stated.
“Huh?”
“Like, me searching up on you, you being a murder suspect, the fact that you’re hiding the fact that you can shrink people, everyone’s scared shitless of you, it seems like you don’t care.”
“I mean, why should I?,” Cindy shrugged, “I’m not hiding anything you know. I’m just doing my job.” Thomas went onto a web browser and pulled up a video. It was a segment from the news this morning.
“Or maybe Mitchells’s methods of interrogation were extreme, so extreme that even a man like Matthew Kane crumbled in it. If this is the case, maybe the interrogation itself is unethical. Either way, I believe Mitchells should be thoroughly investigated.” Cindy did not react, as she had seen this already.
“People are starting to suspect things,” Thomas said, “That’s not good for the whole, you know, Grundy case.” Suddenly, Cindy put her hand on his shoulder.
“Tell me Thomas,” she said, “And look me in the eye. Do you think I killed Grundy?” Thomas’s body started to shiver, but he looked straight in Cindy’s green eyes.
“It’s always a possibility,” he stated nervously, “But no, I don’t think you killed him.”
“Then why are you looking into me so much? Why do you think I’ll be uncomfortable, huh?”
“Because, well,” Thomas took a deep breath, “I think you’re a good cop. Unorthodox but…effective. I want to have faith in the person that brought in the Gryphon. I want to help prove her innocence.” His eyes were very wide by this point. Cindy nodded and took her hand off his shoulder.
“Well, you can have faith,” she sighed, "But it doesn’t matter if no one else—”
“Wait a second,” Thomas interrupted.
“Oh?” Cindy started to grin, “Does the rookie have an idea?”
“You said you’re not hiding this, right?”
“No, why?”
“Because right now it looks like a secret, even if it's not. Everyone is left to theorize. The best way to get their trust is…is to publicize it yourself.”
“What?” Cindy raised her eyebrows, “What do you mean?”
“If someone else uncovers the truth from you,” Thomas explained, “It would look bad. It would look shady. But if you went out and exposed it yourself, that pushes a completely different image.” A large grin appeared on Cindy’s face.
“Thomas,” she said, “That’s a wonderful idea. Thank you.”
“I’m glad I could help,” Thomas slightly smiled. Cindy stood up.
“I’m gonna get to it right now,” she said, and she grabbed his hand, “Do you wanna help me?”

Chapter End Notes: