- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is the story of a John, a man like any other, except for one thing, he was incredibly small.
He was so small, that living a normal life sometimes was complicated for him.
And believe me, he tried. He tried by all means to live a life like any other fellow but it wasn't that easy.
Let me tell you how a normal day was for him so you can understand the type of difficulties you can ran into when you are action figure sized.

John lived by himself, he had a regular sized house which was too big for him, but as he wanted to be able to invite people over, he needed a normal house.
However, inside his house he had a room adapted to his size.
The house had a regular size door that had a smaller door in the bottom. This was because the handle of the main door was too high for him too reach.
So he had his own little door within the main door. That's from where he came out every morning.
He lived in a city, and worked in the suburbs, so every morning he needed to take a bus to his job. The bus stop was three blocks away from his home, but it took him around 1 hour to walk these 3 blocks, yes, that's how small he was.
He was a software engineer who, in the company used a regular size computer but with a special keyboard-like interface adapted to his size.
Sometimes, neighbours who already knew him and happened to walked in the same direction, gave him 'a ride' to the bus stop to help him arrive earlier.

Author's Chapter Notes:
So, let's pick any regular day of his first year at work, for example, April 23rd, the day the company was doing this celebration for it's 10th anniversary.

That morning he came out of his house with his regular outfit (he liked to dress quite formal. with shoes, formal pants and a shirt, even though the company didn't require that).
After ten minues of walking and still on the first block, he noticed the footstep of a person coming from behind, very close to him, to his left, it sounded like women shoes walking at a slow pace. His own steps were more frequent, but also much shorter, so this woman was soon beside him, one more step of her and she already was ahead of him, then she stopped and turned towards him.
"Good morning, little John"
She had to look down to look at him, she was very close to him and was using some kitten heel shoes. He always noticed the kind of shoes people used, because it was the first thing he saw when someone stood that near. The shoes, the socks, the details of the foot and the ankle, all parts he knew very well from the people who stood in front of him.

However. She was so close that he had to take a few steps back in order to be able to look up at her face, although, by her voice he had already recognized her. "Good morning Mrs. Stapleton" Said John as loud as he could in order to be heard. Mrs Stapleton, was a 84 year old woman with whom he had talked in a few ocassions. She was now looking down and smiling kindly. "Do you need help this morning getting to the bus stop?" She said in a sweet voice.

The problem was that this woman was too old to just bend down and pick him up, he was way too far from her hands, down there at her feet.
But she already was prepared for this situation. She had found a small wool string in her house and she thought "this can be useful to help that little guy" so she carried it in her purse for that very purpose. "wait a minute" she said, and she took the string out and let one tip fall to the ground, so he could grab, "Please John, grab the string, i'm gonna lift you up, you will be safe" and she extended her arm so the lower tip of string came right in front of him.

It was the first time he was offered to hold to a string to be picked up, but after all, it would save him a big amount of time if she could carry him to the stop. So He grabbed the string tight with his two hands and raised his legs wrapping them around the string, as soon as he did, the old woman lifted the string and brought it closer to her, then she pulled the string up until she could grab little john with one of her hands. It was the first time she was grabbing him with her hand. At first she hesitated, she didn't know how to do it without pressing too hard or hurting him, so she positioned her fingers around his body and asked "May I?"
"Sure, just be careful please." replied John, who was, a little scared, he always was a little scared the first time he was going to be picked up by someone new, some people pressed too hard and made him hurt. But he had no choice but to trust. She closed her fist around him softly but without restraining his arms, so he could extend them over her enormous hand to hold on.

Before resuming the walk she took him up to the same height of her face, so she could have a better look at him, the truth is she always had seen him from above, and didn't know his face very well. She recognized him because of his particular size. Also, from that close distance it was easier to talk. "Oh, Hello Little john, It's nice to hold you in my hand so i can have a better look at you, are you ok? Am I pressing too hard?" Said she kindly and with a smile.
"No, no, it's ok, Mrs Stapleton. thank you for helping me" replied John, who was holding himself to her fingers with his arms.
"Aww, you look so cute" said she "but let me put you in my purse so I can carry you to your destination".
He nodded, and then she lowered him to her purse, she was carrying a very small one, but enough for John to fit, so she dropped him inside. Then he felt the string fall onto him. She put the lid and closed the purse, leaving him total darkness and total old lady purse smell.
He took the string from his head and put it aside.
She started to walk, so the purse starded to rock. He felt the steps and the soft swinging of the purse.

She didn't walk as fast as a young regular sized person, but much faster than he could ever dream to walk. So, after a few minutes, he felt the movements stop
Light came from above as she opened the lid of the purse and he saw her giant hand going inside, she softly wrapped his body with her fingers and lifted him.
Then with the other hand she took the string and unfolded it to the ground. bringing close to him the tip, so he could grab it.
"Hold tight John, we are going down!"
When was taken out, he noticed they were in the bus stop, and that there were four other people waiting for the bus. Mrs Stapleton was standing behind the last person (in John's city people formed queues to wait for the bus, even if they were very few people)
When the old woman spoke, the person who was right ahead of them subtly turned to look at them and then turned back. But it was enough for him to notice that it was a woman with chinese-like features around her fourties.

As the old woman lowered him, he had a good view on the body of the woman in front of him. He usually saw people from the ground, so when he had the chance to have other perspectives of people bodies it was something interesting for him. The chinese-like woman was wearing tight black jeans, a soft wool sweater and some flat delicate shoes.

After he reached the floor, very close to Mrs Stapleton shoes, he once again had to take few steps back to look at the old woman, she waved her hand and said "Good by Little John, have a good day"
"Good bye Mrs Stapleton, Thank you very much" shouted him with a voice that she could barely hear from up there.
Then she turned and walked away.

Now John was standing in the line waiting for the bus, with 4 other people ahead.
Seconds after Mrs Stapleton left he noticed a young woman with a little boy approaching the bus stop, looked like he was no longer going to be the last one in the queue.