- Text Size +

“What about when you couldn’t even hang around and be sociable in the games arcade?” asked Margaret.

“Well that was definitely because of the something else. It was hard enough going to your house warming party when you have a boyfriend, but then you went to the movies with us instead of him and wound me up even more afterwards. Ron Shirkin warned me not to sit near you in the cinema, because of Dan. I’ve been behind the eight ball ever since your template letters task took me by surprise, making a bigger and bigger fool of myself….,” said Pierre.

“Or a much smaller one at the moment,” she interrupted, smiling sympathetically.

He allowed himself a brief burst of laughter, and then continued.

“Every mistake I made in the office with you, I just dug myself deeper and deeper. I’ve been in love with you since day one, but couldn’t show it. Alene Sirley said that I annoy you, when she did my performance appraisal interview, just before they extended my probation period. When we went to Allen’s band concert, and you said to imagine you all in your underpants, I just kept thinking how nice you look in a long dress. I only left my own farewell party so soon, to get over the heartbreak and try to adjust to preparing for university.”

“I didn’t know you felt that way,” she said, lifting her head a little and moving it closer to him, “I’m sorry I broke your heart.”

Her full shapely red lower lip came down and pressed tightly but harmlessly against his entire face for well over half a minute. Then she withdrew it and rested her head on the pillow again.

“Well I don’t know where I stand, given that Dan’s still in the picture, but that was the most wonderful thing that’s ever happened to me,” said Pierre.

“You can stay the night here beside me, and I’ll decide about lunch after I wake up in the morning,” she said.

“So you might still be thinking of having me for lunch,” he said, “I never saw this coming the day we were having lunch at the canteen and you told us why you’re called Rabbit. I guess I’ll have to wait until the morning to see whether you decide to keep me or eat me.”

“I meant that when morning comes, I will decide whether to have you for lunch or for dinner. I hadn’t finalized that choice back when we started this discussion.”

“But you’ve got to give me a chance…I love you!”

“I don’t have to give you anything,” she said, leaning across with one arm, to turn off the bed lamp, “I have a good job, made better without any more of your nonsense in the office. I have an apartment, a boyfriend, and my full size intact. And tomorrow, I will have either the best lunch or the best dinner I’ve ever enjoyed in my life. Think about that!”

She lay there in silence, while he took in all that had happened that day alone, and then reflected back over everything that had happened since he’d first met her.