- Text Size +

It’s a rainy night at The Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles. The rain pittered down on the rooftop, echoing across the rooms for all to hear. Well…for most to hear anyway. Two of the residents at the academy - Shuichi Saihara and Kaede Akamatsu - decided to spend their night in the library for research purposes. Halloween was coming soon, and the two of them had yet to decide on costumes to wear for the Halloween Gala that the student council was preparing. With only three days left, they needed to decide on something tonight so Tsumugi would have enough time to make their outfits. With the goal in mind, the two nodded as they split up to search the room littered with thousands of books.

 

Shuichi wasn’t having much luck on his part searching the west wing of the library. As the academy is a top-notch school for students with incredible talents, there aren’t many books around meant for leisurely purposes. “Let me see…”Shot Put for Beginners”, “How to Tie a Ropeway”, “The History of Seesaws”...none of these seem useful.” The detective said aloud to himself, rummaging through the bookcases. That was another thing making the task so difficult, all the books were unorganized. None of them were in alphabetical order, nor were they following a Dewey decimal system…or any system at all for that matter. But they could stay up all night searching for something anyways. There was a time limit, but a rather lax one.

 

Kaede was also struggling to seek out some answers. The books were covered in dust, meaning she would have to stop and brush the spines to be able to get a legible look at what they are about. She dribbled her fingers across the leather covers, as if she were playing a piano, until her tips stumbled across one book that was different from the rest. This book was completely white, and there wasn’t even a single speck of dust on it, like it was brand new. Curious as to what she discovered, Kaede pulled the book out from the case and glanced at the title.

 

“Episodes of an Underleveled Ultimate…what a weird title.” Kaede spoke to herself, inspecting the outside appearance some more. There was nothing written on the back, and the only words on it were those of the title. Not even an author was listed. Everything about this screamed suspicious. But thankfully, she had the Ultimate Detective on her side to solve this mystery. With the book in hand, she strolled over to where Shuichi was still searching and tapped him on the shoulder. “Hey Shuichi, I think I found something…”

 

Shuichi turned around, raising an eyebrow as this was the first sign of anything useful. He took the book out from Kaede’s hands and looked over it as well, noticing the same things she did earlier. “Do you think someone may have planted this for us?” He asked, pointing out just how obvious this is in the first place.

 

“No idea. But still, do you think we should read it? We may be able to brainstorm some costumes if we do.” Kaede asked, justifying her curiosity. Shuichi nodded and opened the book, turning to the first page filled with other words. He placed the book on the nearby table and took a seat, Kaede following behind and pulling up a chair to sit beside him. The two stayed silent as they read to themselves the contents revealed.