- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi, my name is Astrid and I wrote this story. Actually, it's not new, but I'm trying to remake, this time in a better way, a story that I wrote over a year ago which had the same title. I sincerely hope you like it, and please don't get upset if I make some spelling mistakes, English is not my native language, instead, tell me and I'll correct it.
To properly enter the world in which this story is set, the reader should know some notion about the context. Tinies and giants are two variations of human being, which it would be wrong to call races, since they are genetically identical in everything, except for one gene. This recessive gene, if present in the subject's DNA, causes a drastic decrease in the amount of cells already observable during the early stages of embryonic development. Put simply, a part of the human population, about half, is small, reaching an average of three inches in height. It is not known why humans developed in this way, it is assumed that the tinies have had the evolutionary advantage of being less visible to predators and consuming less food while maintaining an intellect equal to that of giants. Over the course of human history, however, this gene has been anything but beneficial, indeed, it has led to a miserable life for most of the tinies, which since the most ancient civilizations were used as slaves or pets. Only from late antiquity onwards, thanks to the spread of a Christian morality, did philosophers begin to reflect on the rights of the tinies. However, it would be an illusion to argue that this may have led to an improvement in their social situation, the latter, in fact, only occurred in the contemporary age, and only for a minority of tinies able to demonstrate their contribution to society. Even today, a simple piece of paper is what divides tinies with rights and citizenship from others, considered legally almost like animals, and therefore devoid of real rights. Many tinies, for this reason, live in the woods, voluntarily exiled from the oppressive civilization of the giants. Others prefer to live hidden, but not so separate, hiding in uninhabited houses, dark alleys, cracks in the walls. Every giant knows that when they find a colony of tinies in their apartment, the best thing to do is to call a tinies catcher, who will donate a small fee and catch and take the tinies to the nearest "adoption center". Obviously, these people are very feared among the tiny people, like huge and inescapable monsters who take and steal people's freedom. From their point of view, it is a world of injustice, from the point of view of the giants, they are being civilized and helped. These "adoption centers" are nothing more than pet shops, specializing exclusively in tiny people.

One tiny among them was named Ryan. Who would have looked into his cage would have seen a boy of about sixteen, with wavy brown hair that fell on his forehead, two large eyes with an intense and expressive green color. After all, he didn't have much to say to the passing giants, he could only respond as they watched him, with the deepest gaze he was capable of. He liked to believe that with that look he was arguing with them, almost questioning their superiority over him, putting himself on the same level as them. Needless to say, the giants didn't actually understand anything from his gaze, other than that he wouldn't make a good pet, and, after all, he was fine with that. It was only one day, after a few weeks of captivity, that a girl entered the shop. He didn't notice her at first, as she could have been anyone. Ryan became aware of her only after he turned around and found her outside her cage, watching him with huge blue eyes. He was paralyzed for a few seconds, as if he suddenly didn't know how to react. Often the giants gave him a fleeting glance, but she was watching him intently, as if she were trying to talk to him through her eyes. How do you respond to such an intense and persistent gaze? Ryan stood still, looking down, like a doll left on the floor. The girl blinked as this tiny boy acted in such a weird way. The other tinies greeted trying to be bought, while others backed away in fear. His attitude made it impossible to understand what he wanted. The girl decided to take the initiative and tap the glass cage with her index finger. Ryan jumped, and as if he had been magically ignited by the click of his finger, he looked up. The two stared at each other, in their emerald green and ocean blue eyes. The girl, who was beginning to get impatient, tapped on the glass a few more times. What could this girl want from Ryan? All the giant customers, if ignored, usually went off to see some other cage. He took a few steps closer. She, putting her mouth close to the holes in the glass to breathe and said: "Hello little one. My name is Amber."
Little one? It wasn't an insult, but it wasn't a compliment either. He felt it as if she had just placed a floor above him, as if she wanted to remind him that she was a "big one", and he was a "little one". Ryan, however, knew that it was not a good idea to openly argue with a giant. He had heard, in the cages next to him, giants buying rude tiny, to take them home and do who knows what. Was killing a tiny legal? In theory not, but who would have found out? Who would have bothered to bury the body or find the murderer? Ryan thought the best idea was to be friendly. The sooner she answered, the sooner she would walk away.
"I'm Ryan." he answered in a tone that involuntarily sounded far from friendly.
"You know, Ryan, you look the same age as me. Maybe I could buy you."
Ryan's gaze became defiant. "You would never want to buy me. I'm bad tiny, I'm naughty, plus I'm younger than I look."
"Really? And why are you telling me these things? Don't you want to be bought?"
"I'm happy with what I have." Ryan answered with a shrug.
He was pretty sure he wasn't going to be bought, so he had no fears. Sure, he was a little annoyed to talk to this girl, who was disturbing him, but, on the other hand, he hadn't had a real conversation in months.
"You don't look happy to me."
"But I am, I assure you."
"I'm sure you'd be happy with me too. I'm a nice girl, and let's face it, I'm pretty good looking. Would you like to live with me? Would you like to be my tiny?"
«You're not exactly humble, aren't you?» Ryan thought.
Before he could answer, she was no longer in front of him. She didn't have time to breathe a sigh of relief before realizing she was talking to the cashier pointing at him. Only time would tell Ryan what happened next.