- Text Size +
The early morning light blinded Ryan. He hadn't been able to sleep all night, he was having a hard time getting used to the new environment. After dinner the night before, Sharon had taken out an old hamster cage, which had become Ryan's new room. It was dusty and appeared to be made of cheap plastic, but a few old newspapers on the floor, a coffee cup filled with water, and Amber's T-shirt as a bed had made the place much cozier. His "room" was on the desk, next to the bed, from which Ryan could see in its entirety the face of the giant sleeping girl. Evidently she was used to waking up much later than he was. Indeed, if you weren't in a shop, there wasn't much reason to wake up at dawn in the summer. Ryan heard the door slam, it was Sharon, probably on her way to work.
He stood for a few minutes staring at Amber. She wasn't a beautiful girl, but she was pretty. She had a few small pimples, but overall she had a pretty face. Finally, she too mumbled something and then opened her eyes.
"Were you watching me sleep, weirdo?" She stammered.
"No, I was just…"
"I'm kidding, dumbass." She said, and a yawn followed.
Amber sat up on the bed. She was wearing blue pajamas, while Ryan had slept in his underwear, the same ones that the shop where he was up to twenty-four hours earlier had provided him.
"Well, in any case, good morning." he said.
She yawned again and stretched her arms. Her honey-colored hair was messy and tousled, while Ryan's short, wavy hair seemed to be in perfect order. She noticed this and reacted with a silent grimace, then asked:
"Has Sharon gone to work yet?"
"I think so."
"That means we'll have to cook our own breakfast. Have you ever cooked?" She asked.
"Never." He said.
This, indeed, was a lie. Ryan had cooked many times, but he had never cooked with a stove, nor had he ever handled a microwave oven, which would have been as big as a house to him. The times he'd cooked, he'd done it using small hearths, cooking insect meat with herbs to enhance the flavor. There were still many vivid memories he had of climbing bushes to pick berries or anything else you could eat. Many Tinies lived in urban or suburban areas, where it's easier to eat leftovers that giants left in the trash, but he'd always lived a simpler, more out-of-danger lifestyle.
"Uh...Okay." She said, standing up and putting on some slippers.
She opened Ryan's cage and lifted him up between her thumb and forefinger. Her fingers were warm, while his body was cold to her touch. She placed him on her left palm, and watched him for a few seconds. With her right hand she squeezed his arm between two of her huge fingers, causing him, involuntarily, a slight pain.
"I bet if you weren’t that tiny you'd be able to lift me up and carry me down the stairs." she said, noting his trained physique.
Evidently the life of a tiny required much more effort than the life of any giant. Despite this, only the finger of a giantess like her would have been stronger than his arms and legs combined. In a way it was unfair. His body had become so by being constantly used and exercised through great effort, while she had a similar strength of nature, without the slightest effort.
"If I were a giant I'd be taller than you, but I'm not." he said.
"It's for the best. I bet a human would be pretty uncomfortable in a cage like yours." she joked.
The way she referred to him annoyed him. The giants used to refer to themselves as humans, implying that the tinies were something else, possibly inferior. Not to spread discord, Ryan ignored it.
The two went downstairs, and once they got to the kitchen, Amber set Ryan down on the counter. Amber poked around in the fridge for a while, then pulled out a carton of milk and started making breakfast for her. She ate, while a hungry Ryan looked at her pleadingly. The night before her Sharon she had fed him a tiny piece of lasagna, the size of the tip of a pencil, but that was enough to fill him. Now though, he felt like he hadn't eaten in days, yet, for some reason, he felt awkward about begging Amber openly. She pretended to ignore him, but only when she was done did she leave a couple of breakfast cereals in front of him. He walked over to breakfast, but a wall of flesh blocked his way. She amber had held his hand in front of her, and as he looked up at her, she saw her grin unapologetically.
"What's the magic word?" she asked.
"Please." He said, tickled by the idea of eating something.
"No. You have to say the complete sentence."
"Please, Amber, can I eat?" He complied.
"I don't know. Can you?"
"Come on, please."
"Agree." She said clearing the way for him and watching him greedily bite into a couple of corn flakes.
"You know, I was thinking we should go for a walk in the woods today, okay?" she asked.
"Okay, fine."
Ryan didn't have time to finish eating when she was already going to the bedroom to get dressed. He remained standing on the counter in his underwear. Sharon told him the night before that the next day she would buy him some new clothes, but right now she hadn't had time to do it yet, and his old clothes were starting to smell. For these reasons, Ryan was surprised when Amber returned carrying a tiny people t-shirt and jeans. They were quite large on him, but he preferred not to ask where she had gotten them. She was dressed in a midriff-baring white T-shirt and khakis.
"Are you ready for an adventure in the woods with your friend Amber?" She said placing her black sneaker on a chair and bringing her face closer to Ryan.