- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Done as a commission! 

The two young girls were a stark contrast to one another as they made their way down the busy landing of the newly constructed railway, both with a shock of light blonde hair that bordered on platinum in hue, sticking out from the sooty surroundings of the London city like a pair of lit matches.
“Honestly, Audrey, I do so hate to repeat myself - but if you had simply dressed a little more plainly, we might not be in such a hurry to the station!” Sofia said with a well-meaning huff, carrying her luggage in one hand as she walked ahead of her younger sister, the former clad in a sensible pair of trousers and a simple vest, each elegantly tailored and well-made, but - as she had very accurately put it earlier, quite plain.

Struggling to keep up just behind her in a pair of rather daring heeled boots, complete with lace and brocade along the tongue where the laces threaded, was a younger girl, pulling along a chaotically arranged tower of finely embroidered leather suitcases with silver trim along the corners. “You may very well be right, dear sister - however-” she grunted a little as she lugged the teetering mass of suitcases above a small gap in the boards - “One of us ought to take the care to present the class that the Ashton family has come to be known for, don’t you think?” She says, idly fiddling with one of the ringlet curls she had so painstakingly styled this morning. “I still don’t see why we couldn’t bring along at least one manservant - short trip or not, I am used to certain comforts as a lady, don’t you know?”

Sofia rolled her eyes, reaching back to take the cart from her sister’s gloved hand - which, of course, was equally frilled with lace and finery as the rest of her outfit - a fine dress with tasteful embellishments in silver along the hemline and the collar, a dusky lavender that stuck out like a sore thumb against the industrial surroundings of the train station. “We’d hardly need a manservant for a two-day trip, sister dearest - if you had not seen fit to bring half of your wardrobe along.” Sofia fires back, the younger sister playfully batting at her shoulder with one hand.

“Don’t come crying to me if the train inspector mistakes you for a dashing young lad standing next to moi, the pinnacle of ladylike elegance and charm!” Audrey takes the moment to take a small curtsy, which Sofia cannot help but snicker at. “Goodness gracious, however would I manage to measure up to your brightly shining star?” The elder sister quips, and picks up her pace as she takes the cart further down the walkway. “Why, It might be just as difficult as keeping pace with your luggage in that ball gown you decided to wear on the train!” She snickered, and Audrey gathered up her skirts in her hands and struggled to keep pace with her stride, delicately hopping over the creaking oak boards in her fine leather boots with great care, yelling after her older sister. “Come now, I didn’t mean it, Sofi! You know you’re just as lovely even if you dress like a stablehand now and again!” She giggled playfully, the two of them rounding the corner to meet their train - the crowd around them growing more busy and bustling as they proceeded towards the stop. As Audrey managed to reunite with her, she leaned on her older sister for support, a little breathless from the jaunt to catch up with her longer-legged sibling unfettered by skirts and finery.

“You know I just had to bring it all! What if we get to Debenham’s and they ask to see a pinafore? I’d look like a right dullard if I said, ‘Oh we have such a lovely one, only I have left it at home with the others!’ And of course, you just know that would be the make or break for them, you just watch!” Audrey says, wagging her silken gloved finger side to side. Sofia can’t help but laugh. “Oh, you worry too much! You got it from Mother, I know that much - our designs are lovely, and your stitching is simply unmatched! They will either see that, or we will take our patterns to someone who does!” Sofia says, with a little more confidence than perhaps she felt.

“Oh, I wish I had your confidence - but Clark & Debenham, Sofi! Just think! It’s not a boutique outside of the draper’s, not some monthly contract with the local tailor’s guild - every girl south of the Thames would be begging their sweetheart for one of our dresses!” She beamed, eyes wide with a daydreaming glaze. Sofi smiles down at her younger sister, ruffling her hair with one hand, much to her chagrin.

“You little devil! You know very well I spent quite near an hour on that styling, you brute!” Audrey huffs in half-jest, checking her sister with her hip into the luggage cart. As Sofia scrambles to keep the parcels from falling off, her eyes catch a figure - a young little girl, clutching a rag doll to her chest, her dark hair cut short and rather messy, walking between the legs of the hurrying passengers, looking quite lost.

“Audrey, hold on a moment - does that little girl seem to be with anyone? Over there, in the rolled hem dress?” Sofi says, a little concern audible in her voice. Audrey stops her righteous tirade to lean over and take a glance as well. “Oh, poor thing - she looks scared half to death!” Audrey pouts, grabbing her sister’s arm in both of her finely gloved hands. “Let’s help her! Oh, she can even ride in our car! It’s exactly what mother would have done, and don’t you try to tell me she wouldn’t!” Audrey says, her eyes set in a fiery glare of determination. Sofia pauses for a moment before relenting. “But, the trip, I - No, no, you’re quite right. We can help her find whoever it is she’s looking for, at the very least.” Sofia smiles down at her sister, Audrey clinging to her arm.