- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

First chapter, now much to say really. Some characters will have references to characters drawn by artists that I like and use as reference

I looked out the train window at the passing scenery. It was full of beautiful farm fields and trees scattered throughout them. He couldn't remember the last time he had seen anything like this in person. It was probably back when he was a kid and didn't have to worry about things like rent, loans, and necessities. Ah, but it was no use worrying about that for now. A friend I made online a while back had gotten me an interview for farm work. Now, granted, I didn't know much about working on a farm, but I’d like to think I was able to adapt pretty quickly. I just hope that I will be able to stay at this job. The size-changing watch they had me buy was expensive and put my no-loans-for-life plan in disarray. Still, I hadn't had any luck finding employment elsewhere, and I was just glad my friend was putting in a good word for me.

The train screeched slowly to a halt and a voice indicated that they arrived at a station. I grabbed my belongings and stepped off into the station. I looked around, searching for a person with a sign. Luckily he didn’t have to look long as an elf holding a sign with his name on it was standing not too far from where he was. He walked over to the elf, who was a head or two taller than he was. “Are you James? I believe that you may have an interview with my boss”, he said. “Yes I’m James and yes I have an interview with your employer. Are you here to show me to the farm?”, I asked as the elf began to walk out of the station. “That is what I was instructed to do yes. I have a car waiting to take us there whenever you’re ready” they said, pointing to the vehicle. I nodded and said he was and joined him in the offroad car.

I was used to seeing elves around before, ever since the world-altering events that happened decades before he was born they were around. They, along with a myriad of other magical peoples and creatures came through rifts that opened throughout the world. With their help, his planet became a safer, cleaner place to live. The most interesting thing to come from the ability to change the size of objects and people through magic, science, and alchemy. I had experienced all three before and preferred the science-based method of shrinking. Something about the other methods gave me the chills for some reason.

The elf, who introduced himself as Martin, told me that he would help me acclimate to the farm if I got hired for the job. He explained that he helped deal with more of the smaller magical creatures such as pixies and fairies and such. He droned on for a few minutes until we arrived at one of the entrances to the farm. From what I could see it was a normal-looking farm for the most part. A few cows dotted around a field, workers off in the distance. What stood out the most so far was the massive farmhouse with some separate smaller houses “The big boss should be in the main house right now, waiting for your interview. Don’t worry about it too much, she’s pretty nice and usually finds a job for almost everyone who comes around for a job. If she does have any hesitations, just tell her that Martin got an alright vibe from you”, Martin said as we stopped.

I was let out of the vehicle and peered up at the house. It seemed like any other regular old house but just on a larger scale. Martin waved goodbye as he drove off to who knows where on the farm. As I walked up the steps of the house, the first thing that he chuckled at in a while was the size of the door. It had to be at least 16ft in height and 10ft wide. I couldn’t help but wonder how large the people who called this home were. I knocked on the door and waited for it to open. A pair of horns popped out from the door and a woman's face followed suit. “Oh what a cutie! Whatcha doin’ here today hon? Wantin’ a tour or are ya here on special business and such?”, she asked, fully opening the door. This towering woman had to be at least 12ft tall with a bust larger than I had ever seen. While I had never met one before, I recognized the species. She was a Holstaur, Minotauros, or as some referred to them a Cow Girl. “Um yes actually, I’m here on business. I have an interview with your boss today”, he stated.

“OOHH, well why didn’ ya say so hon? Come on in, Maria should be in her office right now waitin’ for ya. It’ll be right in front of ya at the end of this hall here. Good luck hon!”, she said, ushering me in and pointing me in the direction of the office. The halls loomed over me as I made my way to the end. On the door, it read “Maria Sukimi, GM of Maria’s Farm”. I knocked on the door hesitantly. Through it, he heard someone say “Please come in, the door is open”. So he stepped inside and low and behold, Maria was sitting behind a large desk, fitting her large frame. She had a pair of reading glasses on, looking over documents and other such papers. She ushered for me to take a seat in front of her which I did quietly setting my bags down as I did. She set down the papers in her hands, took off her glasses, and looked at me, smiling warmly. “Well, I was wondering what you’d look like whenever we talked. Sufficed to say, not too shabby”, she said resting her arms on her massive breasts.

I must have had a confused look on my face as she chuckled a bit before standing up. She was even taller than the person who had let me in the house, standing at least 15ft tall! “Who do you think you’ve been talking to all this time? I may not have told you that I was a Holstaur or that I’d be interviewing you but I did mean it when I said we were friends”, she said as she sat on the front of her desk. I looked up at her, which was difficult considering that her breasts were somewhat in the way. “I do believe you when you said we were friends and I can understand why you didn’t want to say what you were at first. I know there’s still some stigma against everyone who came through all those years ago. If you’ll still have me, I’d like to try working here. I just want to know what I’ll be doing here”, I replied, feeling slightly more relaxed.

“Good, then follow me”, she said, grabbing me from my seat, holding me under her arm like a box, and kicking the door open. Maria waved to the other person who let me in as she walked out of the house, me in hand. “You’re gonna be the first human that has worked at my farm. For now, you'll just be in charge of giving tours to any guests that stop by. Lately, we've been having more and more humans wanting to see our farm here" she said as we walked to another area. "Does that mean you took what we talked about online into consideration then?", I asked, looking up at her. "Yes, I did as a matter of fact. Some worked out well and others could've worked better as I told you before but in the end, I appreciate the help. So here is our first stop”.

First were the smaller houses where most of the other employees were housed along with a tool shed. The introductions to the other employees were brief as Maria hurried us along to the next area. She showed off the Centaurs' and elves' housing next. With each location Maria showed off, the more she seemed to get excited. For some reason, she kept me held under her arm the entire time, carrying me around like luggage. It was fun if I was being honest. We pretty much wasted the whole day introducing me to the various residences. As the sun began to set, we arrived back at the main house sweaty but happy. I was happier than I'd been in a while I admit. We sat down at a dinner table and discussed what else I might be helping with.

"Did you get the watch I asked you to get?", she asked as she had me sign some papers. "Oh yeah, I did. That sucker was not cheap, let me tell you. It's in one of my bags", I replied. "Well it shouldn't be too much of a problem, you did click the link I sent you right?" "Um, no. I didn't get any link". Maria huffed and pulled out a phone, scrolling through it until she found what she was looking for. "Mmm. Looks like it was never sent. I've been meaning to get some better coverage. Oh well, just give me the info for the payments and I'll take care of it. Now go grab your stuff, I need to show you to your room", she finished as she stood up again. I snatched my things from where they were in her office. We then walked upstairs to the second floor, which was shorter than the ground floor so she had to crouch to get around.

Feeling confused for the third time today, Maria neglected to lead me to whichever door would be my room. Out of nowhere, she hip-checked a wall and a panel in the ceiling opened up, causing a ladder to fall straight down. "Your room is up here, I figured that it should give you enough space away from everyone for now", she said kneeling down. She must've wanted me to climb on top of her. So I did exactly that and she stood up, elevating me into the attic. It looked like a normal room with a few boxes, a desk, and a hammock for some reason. Maria couldn't show me around since it was impossible for her to get inside so her head just poked out of the hole while I looked around. "Yeah, this is perfect. Did you have someone clean it up before I arrived?", I asked as I sat in front of her. "Yup, had some of the smaller folk clean and move some things before you got here. You can move into another room as soon as one opens up or you can co- see if someone can build you your separate space", she explained. "Something to consider I guess. Hey mind letting me out for a sec?", I asked. 

She ducked out of the hole, allowing me to climb down. Once I was down I hopped up and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. "Thank you, seriously. I'd be in a much tougher spot if you hadn't given me a job. Thanks", I told her in a whisper before letting go. "Uh, um, moo… I mean, I'll get your… stuff in order", she stuttered before going back downstairs. I climbed the ladder back up and closed the hatch. Before turning in, I unpacked my things, making sure my new watch was charging before I hit the hay. The hammock was comfortable enough as I lay down. Soon enough I began to drift to sleep.


Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter. If anyone from the old RP groups doesn't want to see this story out in the world, let me know so we may talk about it