- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This was a story requested by an individual on Eta's Portal known as Kyngsama.

It was a bright and sunny day in Inazuma, a pleasant change from when the skies and ocean were full of thunderstorms. A pair of experienced travelers were walking up the mountain, to the Grand Narukami Shrine. Aether and Paimon, individuals who had brought a positive change to the isolationist island nation known as Inazuma. Although, the mood between the two of them was not entirely a pleasant one. As they were a bit despondent that after their efforts, the Fatui had obtained a third gnosis for the Tsarita. They may have won several small battles, saving nations in the process, but they felt as if they were nearing a plot at a more global and nefarious scale. They had helped Venti, the vagrant Anemo Archon of Mondstadt known as Barbatos, save his friend. A dragon that was terrorizing Mondstadt, that was dubbed Stormterror, but was Dvalin, who was manipulated by the Fatui to attack Mondstadt. La Signora had struck Venti when he was not prepared stealing his gnosis. That danger was eclipsed by the terror Aether and Paimon were presented by the death of Rex Lapis, the Geo Archon. They had to fight one of the harbingers, Childe, directly before they had to then join forces with the Adepti and Liyue soldiers headed by Ningguang to thwart Osial, a leviathan that had fought Rex Lapis before. The real kick in the stomach was when they found out that Zhongli, the funeral director that they had worked with to prepare for Rex Lapis funeral was working with the Fatui to stage this entire incident to prove the strength of Liyue. That was not even the biggest reveal, Zhongli was the dead archon Rex Lapis all along. The icing on the cake was that in exchange for their cooperation, he had given them his gnosis. What really put them in a depressed mood was the most recent gnosis, which was their fault. They were nearly taken down by Scaramouche if it weren’t for Yae Miko’s intervention. She traded their lives for Ei, the Electro Archon’s, gnosis. Something that they didn’t find out until the entire mess of the Resistance versus Ei’s forces had finished. They sighed, as they were probably going to see the Guuji at the shrine today.

 

Not to say that their journey was bloody battle after battle. Especially during the time that they were recuperating after facing Ei in her Plane of Euthymia. They ended up helping Thoma with developing a housekeeping course for the people of Inazuma. Avoiding an “assassination” from Sayu, and then helping her avoid her caretaker. Going out with Ei to show her how Inazuma has changed since she had secluded herself in search for eternity. Assisting Kokomi in post-war negotiation with Kujou Sara. Helping the naive Itto in escaping persecution. They helped Gorou face his fears and stand off against Yae Miko, which ended in failure. Everything seemed to return to her eventually. Regardless, it was a nice breath of fresh air. Kind of like when they helped Yoimiya with her firework display and went with Ayaka to the cultural festival.

 

The reason they were heading to the Grand Narukami Shrine, despite Aether still recovering from his injuries, was because they were going to Sumeru to meet the Dendro Archon, to find more clues to the whereabouts of Aether’s sister. Thus, they decided to bid adieu to Inazuma in the typical Inazuman fashion. Writing a farewell fortune and drop it off at the shrine. Something that they both thought was another money scheme handled by that sly fox. 

 

In a typical “speak of the devil” fashion. Yae Miko’s ears wagged awake. She had been well rested since she had reconciliatory with Ei. Happy that the war had ended, at least for now, and excited to see how she could best enjoy this day, in an ever-changing Inazuma. She slipped off her sleeping attire with a yawn, her perky breasts raising up as she stretched her arms above her head. Yae’s tails appeared above the crevice of her ass as her shapely rear and tails shake. Disappearing as quickly as they appeared. Yae had put on the fabric that composed her top, followed by the lower part of a kimono that wrapped around her midsection. Yae Miko had then put on her sleeves that went up to the middle of her upper arms. Her clothes had the same white, red, and black color design, which she clipped each with a bronze colored emblem with a purple symbol typically associated with the Electro vision. It was then onto haircare. Yae spent the next ten minutes making sure her head of hair was orderly, wrapping a hair tie near the end, before putting on her bronze headpiece. She walked towards the sliding door as she put an earring of similar design to her emblems on each ear. Yae walked a certain distance from her private quarters before locating strapped heel sandals and putting them on. A lengthy morning, but there was a certain amount of pomp and decorum that must be maintained in her position. Albeit she does such tasks alone instead of having her shrine maidens attend to her, as she sometimes prefers the solitude. Yae’s ears twitched hearing footsteps that she did not expect to be on her grounds. 

 

This would not be one of those days, as Yae basked in the warm Inazuma morning as she strolled outside. The foxy shrine maiden had expected the Grand Narukami Shrine to be vacant, as the typical visitors were still in a more festive mood with the civil war having reached a somewhat peaceful end. She was nonplussed at the sight of the traveler and his flying companion. Through her observation, she had noted they had purchased a couple of farewell fortunes. No doubt they had taken her advice and were heading to Sumeru next. A distance farther then they would have traversed so far just to get here. The next time that she would get to play…spend time with them would be far away. Thus, Yae Miko had decided how she was going to utilize her time today. Before the pair had even noticed her, Yae had swept up behind them and softly spoke into Aether’s ear.

 

“Now what is this I see? Would you happen to be at your last stop before departing Inazuma?” Aether and Paimon, still not used to mechanisms of this woman jumped back as she spoke.

 

“Isn’t there a better way for you to end your time here. Perhaps we could come to an arrangement. I happen to have a vacant opening this afternoon, and you happen to be on your way I presume. It would be remiss of me if I just let you go without a meal. In fact, I heard that there is a restaurant that is serving a new dish. This would be the perfect opportunity, an unknown dish before an arduous journey into the unknown” Yae brought the back of her hand to her chin. The other hand holding the respective elbow aloft. Planning to use this opportunity to get a meal from a restaurant she rarely frequented.

 

Aether, initially unwilling to pass his time. Before he could vocalize his displeasure, Paimon interjected.

 

“Really! Wow, thanks Yae. Come on Aether it’s food.”

 

Aether sighed. Despite being belligerent in his opposition of this activity, wanting to get one step closer to his sister, he relented. For all Paimon does or doesn’t do, she has always accompanied him through thick and thin. The least he could do was let her enjoy herself during these small moments.

 

“One of these days, she is going to be the death of me.”

 

“Now come on Aether, I would expect that you would be familiar with the etiquette one should have when out with a young woman like me.” Yae said as she tried to intertwine their arms. Aether forcing a nervous smile at Yae’s mischievous act, hoping that this would all blow over soon.

 

Yae, Paimon, and Aether descended the mountain and reached their destination by noon. It just so happened to be one of the first few places that they are at when they arrived in Inazuma. “Aether! How is it going” Kiminami Anna, the owner of Kiminami restaurant waved. She was one of Kamisato Ayaka’s few friends, someone who Aether taught how to make Pizza for the people of Inazuma. “I guess that she has found another dish to trial run.” Aether thought to himself as Anna gave a bow to Yae when she saw her.

 

“Oh, today is actually Inazuma Women’s Day, so we were only accepting female customers today, but I think we could make an exception for the hero that averted a senseless war.” Anna said as she led the three of them to the entrance. One that Aether had not seen before. The inside was much larger than he expected, with a variety of customer, they sat down on a table far away from the kitchen. Their waiter being another familiar face.

 

“Julie, what are you doing here?” Paimon asked the adventurer that was a part of the Gourmet Supremos. 

 

“Aether, glad to see you, Xudong, Parvaneh, and I are working here so we could immerse ourselves in the Inazuma culinary workspace experience. I’m helping with the tables and orders. Oh, hi miss, what would you like as well?” Julie turned to Yae, ready to take their order. Paimon pouting at Julie for unintentionally ignoring her.

 

“I’ll have the Rice Cake Soup.” Choosing a safe option. She would have some of Aether’s dish, if it wasn’t to her liking, she would have another cuisine to fall back on. After relaying her order to Julie, Yae Miko turned her attention to Paimon, deciding to regale her with the newest novel that she was working on getting published. As they became engrossed in the topic, Aether inquired about the new dish.

 

“Well, it is something that Xudong came up with recently. He sourced some odd ingredients from Dragonspine and is experiencing on it for a new dish. We are serving it here as a limited time offer to commemorate our collaboration with the Kiminami restaurant. Although, from what I heard in passing, Parvaneh was worried that Xudong had to handle it carefully. Or something dangerous could happen during the preparation, especially if you don’t have a vision or training. So, I guess you should be fine since you are pretty skilled in both. Oh, but I think it tastes really good.” Julie said with a bright smile on her face.

 

From the scant details that Julie had revealed, Aether had thought back to a story that Albedo had once mentioned during one of their trips in Dragonspine. 

Of a whimsical creature, that was the product of countless generations of harsh evolution on Dragonspine. That it was somehow able to shrink itself to protect itself from being eaten. A marvelous trait considering that it was somehow able to maintain both its organ functions and heat retention despite the significant change in stature within such a cold climate. What was even more miraculous of this evolutionary strategic plan, was that more recent variants had acquired a novel defense mechanism. Where if threatened, they would be able to confer the shrunken status onto its assailant. “I guess, with this new variant popping up, it would make sense that chefs would practice more caution if they cooked with it at all. Although, I guess that wouldn’t be enough of a reason for curious Liyue chefs like Xudong and Xiangling to use such a volatile ingredient in their meals. On that note, had Xiangling used such a creature in her meals?” Aether thought to himself as he placed the order for the new dish with a pensive stare. Julie heading back to the kitchen to relay the order. Paimon and Yae not hearing a single bit, discussing the details about the story of a sister lost in a strange land, having to overcome many adversities to save the land and find her brother. “Ugh, it sounds like Yae is trying to make a genderbend of me to make a quick mora, just like she had with Gorou.”

 

Yae had reached into her pockets, pretending to look for some spare mora, having noticed Aether looking at her for a minute, she decided to use this as an opportunity that she must have left her mora back at the shrine, despite having some mora stashed away in a hidden pocket. 

 

“How uncharacteristic of me, I must have left my mora back at my abode. It was such a sudden departure. Aether, could you help this young lady in need by footing the bill. I’ll make sure to remunerate you next time. Yae said with a faux pas tone of apology.

 

Aether was about to say something along the lines of how in-character this was of her before a loud crash had occurred in the kitchen. Aether’s tendency to put others before himself, led him to abandon the conversation and head to the kitchen. When he arrived, out of sight of Paimon and Yae, he saw a knife shrunken to a small size, Xudong gripping his hand in exaggerated agony as blood dripped down.

 

“No! How am I going to perfect my Inazuma experience now!” Xudong yelled. 

 

“How about by taking a week off to heal.” Parvaneh got up on a stool, preparing to abandon ship and avoid being shrunken. The attention of the Gourmet Supremos occupied, neither of them noticing that he had entered the kitchen, Aether had decided to apprehend the culprit himself. Xudong and Parvaneh both rushed out of the kitchen for their respective concerns, self-absorption, and self-concern. Aether had picked up a glass to catch the Dragonspine organism. The patrons and Julie gasped at the sight of the cooks leaving the kitchen and the loud noise that ensued once they had left to safer premises. The traveler used a handy glass to entrap the organism, a breath too late as Aether experienced a nauseating sensation as the world spun around him.

 

“Ugh.” Picking himself up after getting knocked out. Aether took assessment of his surroundings, nonplussed that he was shrunk to what must have been three inches, as he used the glass as a reference for his scale.

 

Thud.

 

THUD.

 

Aether’s attention was first drawn to the organism that was tapping at the edge of the glass. An organism that wasn’t looking at him as a looming shadow had reached over to swiftly lift the glass and place a napkin over it. Aether was shaken off his feet by the sudden movement of a giantess of an adventurer. The generally clumsy Julie having bested Aether in terms of swiftness but acquiring the caught organism without getting shrunk. Probably Aether’s second greatest failure today. His breath taken away by the ensuing shockwaves of the other Gourmet Supremos at the entrance of the kitchen.

 

“Wonderful job Julie!” Xudong said, his mind having already moved focused to that of the healing of his hand.

 

“Wait wasn’t there someone else here?” Parvaneh asked. Suspicious that Julie was able to catch such a dangerous organism without getting shrunk herself.

 

Parvaneh had begun to scour the floor with her eyes, suspecting that their true savior may have been shrunken in the process. 

 

Unfortunately, Aether’s head was pounding by the resounding reverberations of the Titan above him. Shaking on the floor due to the strength of their voices. His supine state making it impossible for Parvaneh to discern him from the wooden floor as her eyes frantically searched for an individual that Julie may have already smeared into the grooves of her boots. Parvaneh’s own feet shifting nervously in her sandals.

 

Parvaneh’s search interrupted as the Gourmet Supremos attention turned to Aether’s…emergency food…Paimon. Xudong, Parvaneh, and Julie not expecting her. The latter having missed Paimon when she was taking orders, resulting in Paimon not getting any food ordered.

 

“Hey Xudong Parvaneh, have you seen Aether? He suddenly ran off after Yae said that we should foot the bill.” Paimon said as Julie looked miffed at Paimon not greeting her.

 

At the arrival of Paimon, Aether had begun to dash and use his glider to pull himself up with the updraft of a stray breeze of wind. However, the wind at his small scale was much more capricious and he crashed back into the floor before he could ascend high enough to reach anyone’s view. Aether was now adjacent to Parvaneh’s sandal clad feet.

 

“Hmmm. I think that Aether might have left.” Julie guessed. 

 

Parvaneh who was now thinking that Aether may have been the one who shrunk decided not to panic Paimon first, despite her airhead disposition, Julie may have been right. So, Parvaneh had stepped out with Paimon to check with Anna.

 

After debating with himself, Aether had decided to climb up onto Parvaneh’s sandal.  The earthy musk hitting him, not letting himself be overwhelmed by the scent, strengthened by his diminutive size, Aether had prepared to hit the foot a couple of times to alert Parvaneh of his presence. He nearly stumbled off the sandal due to Parvaneh’s sudden movements. Aside from Parvaneh’s foot, which rooted Aether’s perspective, the environment had begun to blur. Aether dependent on the imposing muscular slab that Parvaneh would use to traverse Inazuma. When everything had suddenly stopped moving, Aether was suddenly thrown off the sandal due to his poor grip. Falling face down on the cold stone. As Parvaneh was faced with a growing crowd of patrons displeased with the lack of service.

 

This obstruction was not ameliorated by Xudong a little bit too loudly declaring that he was unable to cook. The anxious looks on the patrons’ face, reminded Parvaneh of a mob that the three of them once had to flee from.

 

“It seems that you are busy right now. Thanks anyway. I’ll go check with the other people around, I’m sure that I’ll find Aether.” Paimon said as she looked nervously around, not wanting to get caught up in this mess. 

 

Before Parvaneh could stop her, Paimon had already flown away to the opposite side of the restaurant, out of hearing distance. Faced with this dilemma, Parvaneh decided to cook the dishes while Xudong moped in the corner as Julie patted his back. She would relay her concerns to Anna, and they would search for the shrunken traveler when everything was slower. Unfortunately, Aether would not have known Parvaneh’s thoughts. Instead, his eyes were set on Yae and Paimon who he came with. A long distance lay before his diminutive stature. He picked up his glider and prepared to glide up in the sky and tumble to the floor to reach the two of them before they decided to depart without him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Parvaneh, inexperienced as she is attempted to juggle the catering of everyone dining in, at the bar, and those who ordered to have their food “to go”. Something that would have been nearly impossible by herself if it weren’t for the life-threatening cooking-related situations she was put through as a member of the group. The task at hand putting Aether’s state further and further out of her mind. Eventually, after an hour of cooking, she had gotten through a large order of Rice Cake Soup and the last of the limited event dish, as she was not going to attempt to prepare the ingredients herself after nearly getting shrunken herself. With the last order of the lunch rush, Parvaneh noticed a decrease in the number of orders, glad for the break. Julie promptly picked up the two dishes, heading to the table where the order was placed.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments are appreciated