- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So this is a commissioned serial story which the commissioner has expressed interest in updating 1-2 times weekly, the expected length is 15 chapters.

“First impressions are vital for establishing the course of the relationship you will have with your male, ideally you want him thinking of you when he’s alone later in the evening…”

Finding Your Inner Goddess: A Guide to Romancing Earth Males

...

Steven listened to the clack of the commuter train along the electric rails, trying to keep a calm face as he looked up at the shining halcyon metropolis of New York. It had mostly been rebuilt in its old style, or so they said, the gleaming art-deco towers scraping the heavens as spacecraft whirred in perfectly coordinated flight around them like bees from a sterling silver hive. This city wasn’t built for human accommodation though, while plenty of earth’s natives stilled lived in New York, the gigantic skyscrapers had been remodeled and rebuilt for a larger denizen.

“First time in a Green Zone?” a woman’s voice called from across the subway car. While their seats were sized for humans, the rest of the car was wider than any earthly equivalent, nearly thirty yards across and making it so the two had to raise their voices to speak.

He turned to give her a friendly smile, “Yeah, the scale is… impressive.”

The woman, in her thirties and with curly brown hair, chuckled, getting up and walking across the vast car to where he was, “Yes, it can be,” she said, grinning as she took in the gleaming spires. “My name’s Andrea, I take this train every day, so I guess it doesn’t mean much to me anymore.”

“Steven,” he said, extending his hand.

“You might want to get ready; the next stop is one of theirs ,” Andrea said. “Have you ever seen a Stelan in real life?”

“Once,” he said slowly, “there was a wedding back in my hometown, the bride was Stelan. I didn’t go, but I saw her carrying her new husband out of the church where they held it.”

“Did she let him stay at his full size?” the woman smirked.

“I think so,” he said, raising an eyebrow, “She was already twenty feet tall, why would she want him any smaller?”

The woman chuckled, “You really should have read up on Stelans before moving to a green zone. Yeah, we’re about the size of their planet’s males, but they’ve got a lot of weird cultural hangups around their mates being smaller, and they’ve got the tech to make it happen.” She glanced out the window again as the immense train rolled into the stop, the one where the Stelans themselves would be, “I’m sure you’ll see what I mean pretty quick.”

The doors hissed open, and Steven found himself staring up in awe at the crowd of gold skinned women, chattering idly amongst themselves. Most of them were around twenty feet in height, and the clacking of their work shoes against the steel floor of the train was like a stampede as they boarded. While the train had ample seating for humans, most of it was Stelan by necessity. Still, he noticed that several of them, deliberately diverted once they saw him and Andrea, grinning as they reached for the handrails instead of sitting in one of the seats.

“Oooh, who’s your friend Andy?” one cooed, a golden skinned blonde in a grey office skirt. Steven gulped as his eyes trailed down her long, well-toned legs, covered in a thin sheen of pantyhose that finally ended in a dark leather office pump heel that was easily as long as his torso.

“This is Steven,” she said with a smirk, “it’s his first time in a Green Zone, so be nice ladies.”

“I’m Carella,” the woman giggled, playfully lifting her pantyhose clad foot out of her office shoe a moment, letting the stale vinegary smell of the shoe’s interior waft out towards him slightly. He found himself leaning in slightly, blinking in confusion as he found he almost craved. “Do you like the shoes?” she smirked, sliding her foot easily back into it.

“I uh…” he cleared his throat, “T-They’re very nice.” They were impossibly nice, he found he couldn’t look away from them, admiring the slight sheen of the leather under the fluorescent subway lighting. Since when did you care about women’s shoes? He asked himself, blinking.

“Okay Carella,” Andrea chuckled, “ease off a little, it’s his first day in the big city.”

Carella gave a fake pout, “I’m just introducing myself, maybe I could show him around later?”

“I-I’ll think about it,” Steven said, his throat suddenly dry.

“Seriously Carella,” Andrea smirked, “he’s going to be on the train every day, you’ll get plenty of shots at him.”

“Okay, I’ll see you on the trip home Steven,” she said in a low voice. Her heels clacked as she and the two other golden giants walked back towards the Stelan seating section.

There was a low buzz, and Steven’s eye caught a small boxy contraption, about the size of his thumb with a pair of whirring helicopter blades. The pollination drones were supposedly automated devices meant to care for Stelan plant life transmitted to earth, which otherwise couldn’t survive the blue planet’s climate. In the subway it was obviously out of its normal zone of operations, and after a few moments it hovered to the ground in Carella’s path, a small red light on the top blinking.

She saw it, but instead of moving to avoid it slowed her stride, glancing back at Steven and making eye contact as her grin broadened. He watched, spellbound, as the sole of the giant heel came down on the small drone, causing a crunching sound as the plastic and metal components collapsed, slowly smearing across the steel subway floor. Carella paused, and he could swear she ground her foot over it a moment, grinning as she watched his reaction.

“Oops,” Carella smiled, lifting her foot and looking at the pile of shattered plastic and the small blue pool of cooling fluid, “I guess it must have flown in here by mistake…” She sighed dramatically, “I’m sure I’ll get a city fine for that… Oh well, take care Steven!”

He nodded numbly, taking a deep breath and trying to steady himself, what was that? He wondered.

“Feeling all right?” Andrea asked, smirking smugly at his flustered state. “Stelan women can have a pretty overwhelming effect on earth men, something about pheromones and magnetic brain fields or something, I tried to watch a documentary about it but I fell asleep.”

“A-Are they all going to affect me like that?” He asked, licking his lips nervously.

“Most of them, yeah,” Andrea said with a sad smile, “They can tell you’re unclaimed too, like a sixth sense or something.”

“Unclaimed?”

“Stelans bond with males after a while, it’s a kind of mental link and they can tell you don’t have one,” she explained, “Half the reason so many of them want to work on Earth is because they’re hoping to snag a human male for themselves, it’s also why they’re not allowed to leave the green zones, their government doesn’t want them poaching all of earth’s men. Gotta leave a few for us human gals to keep the numbers up.”

“Well thank god for small favors,” Steven muttered, shaking his head, “Does that happen to you too?”

Andrea just chuckled, “Well in theory it could , if there was a Stelan that wanted me and I wanted her, but so far that hasn’t happened, most of them prefer guys, and so do I, mostly.” She glanced over at the Stelan seating section again, “Human women kind of freak them out, since we’re the same size as their males and all.”

“Right,” Steven breathed out slowly, “well at least I rented in a humans-only apartment complex…”

“Where are you working at, anyway?” Andrea asked curiously.

“Central Stelan Robotics,” he said with a smile, “I’m starting at their headquarters today.”

“Oh my god,” Andrea said excitedly, “You’re that Steven? You’re never going to believe it, we’re coworkers! I’m Sula Cret’s personal assistant!”

He started at the name of the manager he was supposed to report to, “No kidding?” He grinned, “Is it a friendly workplace?”

“Oh yeah,” she said, a twinkle in her eye, “I think your new coworkers are going to love you…”

Allura was giddy with excitement, practically dancing as she walked through the lobby of Central Stelan Robotics for her first day of work. After years of trying, she’d finally been hired by a company with offices on Earth. It was a major economic hub of course, while most of the planet was relatively primitive and sparsely populated compared to the Stelan Imperium’s other planets, the abundance of Stelan compatible males was a resource that put mineral resources or industrial genius to shame.

Accordingly, it was a very hard planet to immigrate to from the rest of the Imperium, the Stelan government had enacted strict controls on their nascent protectorate after first contact with the planet had resulted in a disastrous unintentional invasion as hordes of Stelan citizens had stormed Earth, shrinking and abducting large swathes of the population. The military had gotten things under control thankfully, and many of the humans were reluctantly returned, shaken, but unharmed.

After that Earth’s status as a protectorate had been quickly established, along with the first Green Zones, those parts of the planet where Stelans were permitted to reside, along with the humans themselves of course.

There goes one! She thought excitedly, watching a human in a business suit waiting for a Stelan sized elevator. She bit her lip, slowly walking towards him, Remember what Finding Your Inner Goddess says, you ARE a goddess to the male, you both just need to realize it! The small hum in the pit of her stomach as she got close confirmed that the male was unbonded, free to be claimed. She decided to start her first day of work off on the right foot, in several senses.

“Hey,” she said in a sultry voice, causing the bald human to look up at her in surprise, “I’m looking for the Central Stelan Robotics office, maybe I could go up with you and you could show me where it is?”

“Uh… well you see,” the man blushed and stammered as she loomed over him, and she teasingly tapped her foot against the shining black tile of the lobby, letting the * tap tap tap* punctuate the silence.

“Richard, is she bothering you?” Another woman called behind her. Allura turned to see another Stelan, a few feet taller than her, and giving her a withering gaze. “Richard works with me, ” she snapped.

“H-He’s unbonded,” Allura protested.

“For now,” the other Stelan chuckled. She moved her hand over the human, the ring on her finger flashing a moment as the shrinking device activated.

A moment later the human, Richard, was blinking up at the two giant gold skinned women, who had now become truly titanic to him. With a smug smirk the other Stelan leaned down, plucking up her human between two fingers and lifting him up to the massive valley of her cleavage where a gold chain waited for him.

“Just hold your little hands up Richard,” she giggled, clicking the small human into place on her necklace. Once her human was safely in place between the pair of gold mountains. She glared at Allura again, “Don’t get near my male again!” The elevator dinged, and the woman stepped inside, each clacking footstep of her heels a cry of victory as she turned, giving Allura a smug grin as the doors closed.

Competition might be more intense than I thought, she growled to herself, hitting the elevator button again. She looked back at the lobby, seeing the other human men filing in as the workday began. The distant sensation of a nearby unclaimed male was still present, though from this distance she couldn’t tell which ones were sending out the signal.

“Going up?” a woman’s voice called from down by her knees. She glanced down to see a human woman, along with a human man, an unclaimed human man. He was a handsome one, younger, with a fit body and a mop of brown hair that practically begged to be ruffled.

“Yeah!” Allura said excitedly, “I’m going to the Central Stelan Robotics floor!”

“Oh, you must be the other new hire today,” Andrea said with a grin, boarding the elevator behind the towering goddess. “Allura right? This here’s Steven, he’s the other newbie.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” Steven said, forcing himself to look the golden woman in the eyes. They were a soft green, twinkling as she brushed her caramel brown hair back over her ear playfully.

As the elevator slowly ascended, he found himself sneaking looks at the massive Stelan woman. Like the women on the subway she was wearing a professional looking skirt, with a top that was just low enough to expose a bit of her ample cleavage. Letting his eyes trail downward he cursed as he felt himself getting flustered at the sight of her thick legs, the noticeable curvature of her behind… and finally he gave in and looked down at her feet, where a golden charm anklet hung just above her stylish black office pumps.

“Do you like it?” Allura asked softly, causing his head to snap upward in surprise.

“I uh-“

“It’s a human compatible one,” she said with a wink, “if you wanted to be part of it…”

He just cleared his throat, forcing himself to stare at the elevator doors until they dinged open.

“Follow me you two,” Andrea said, smirking as she took the lead. If she had anything to say about the interaction of the newest employees, she kept it to herself.

The office was mostly Stelans, and the women eagerly grinned and greeted him, leaning over the tops of story high desks as the trio walked through the cleared center of the open floor.

“You two are both working in the supplier relations department,” Andrea said, stopping in front of a large door. She tapped a small button at human level, and it hissed open. Inside was another spacious office, though unlike the ones in the open floor outside it was better furnished, with elegant wooden desks that towered over him, along with another in his own size on the far wall, putting his back against a floor to ceiling window that gave an excellent view of the silver metropolis outside.

“Ah, my new coworkers,” A stern woman’s voice called. Steven looked up to see a Stelan woman standing up, this one with dark black hair that contrasted against her vibrant skin as she walked around the desk, the slow *clack* of her heels sending a slight shiver up his spine as she came into view. She was thinner than Allura, with less curvature to her body and a slightly more conservative dress. Still, like all Stelans he’d met so far, she was stunning, and the smallest smile came over her mouth as she introduced herself. “Caridia Duran,” she said, extending a hand and shaking Allura’s. She gazed down at Steven and smirked, playfully bending at the knees, “And you must be Steven,” she said sweetly.

“Nice to meet you,” he said, extending his own hand.

Caridia giggled at her massive hand enveloped his, “I can’t wait to see how you do around here,” she said, standing back up and putting her hands on her hips. She seemed to enjoy looking down at him, “I know you’re cute, but if you can’t pull your weight in this business? You’ll be gone!” She stomped her foot for emphasis, “just like that!” She fought a giggle at how Steven flinched at the action.

“I think I can hold my own,” he said firmly, steeling himself and looking up at her. “Compared to my last job I think this will be a much less stressful work environment.”

“Oh?” Allura asked, moving to her enormous desk as he walked to her own, “what did you do before this?”

“Central Intelligence Agency,” he said with a nod. Let’s see if that buys me a little respect, he thought warily. While military conflict between human nations had been all but abolished once the planet had become a protectorate, the remaining nations of Earth still had their squabbles, squabbles that were now solved behind closed doors.

Caridia for her part did raise an eyebrow, “Interesting, that’s one of those organizations the Imperium is asking you humans to abolish, is it not?”

“I wouldn’t know,” Steven said with a shrug, “I was mostly dealing with the affairs of other humans until recently.”

Allura bit her lip, looking down at the male and trying to hide her excitement, He’s one of those “bad” ones? She felt herself growing wet at the thought of taming him, bonding with him, bringing him back to the Stelan homeworld with her, his shrunken form tucked obediently between her breasts as the rocket took off for the spaceport. She glanced down at her anklet, He definitely liked that… I’ll get more like it, she decided.

“I’ll let you all get settled in,” Andrea said with a smile, waving as she headed towards the oversized doorway.

Despite the overwhelming presence of his new Stelan office-mates, Steven quickly found himself falling into old routines. Despite the glamorous and infamous reputation of his former employer, most of his time as a spy had been spent behind a desk, with a rare few moments of excitement bookended by hours of research, emails, and teleconferences.

In spite of her attitude he was pleasantly surprised to find that Caridia was quick and professional in helping Allura and himself through the company’s onboarding process, helping them understand the primary suppliers in each of their major fields and what the major concerns with each was.

“And North Central Positronics is a human only company,” the towering alien explained, “but they have some of the best ceramics in the galaxy, our biggest problem with them is getting a good volume.”

“I see,” Steven said, nodding as he opened the charts she’d sent him.

There was a sudden knock at the door, and the three of them looked up as the massive entryway hissed open, revealing Andrea at the side of the tallest Stelan he’d yet encountered, at least twenty five feet tall, and with an almost elegant light pink suit that emphasized her curvaceous body as she strutted into the office, her tiny human assistant following behind her almost like a terrier.

“Good afternoon,” she said, beaming broadly, “I’m Sula Cret, manager of Earth Operations, Steven, Allura, I’m so excited to welcome you into our little family here! Is Caridia treating you okay?”

“She’s been very helpful,” Steven nodded.

“Good,” Sula said with a warm smile, “Oh and Steven? If you could meet me in my office, I’d like to discuss a few quick onboarding things, you know just smoothing over your Green Zone transition.”

He frowned, there shouldn’t be anything special about my paperwork, he thought suspiciously, but with a nod he got up, walking to the massive woman’s side. He could smell her faint perfume wafting down as she bent over, and he started with surprise as a pair of enormous hands cupped around his ribcage and under his arms, lifting him off the ground.

“H-Hey!” he stammered in protest.

“Hush darling,” Sula said, her heels clacking loudly across the floor as she hugged his form into her expansive breasts.

Steven blushed, feeling the soft globes pressing through her business suit. Each one was nearly the size of his entire body, and the smell of her rose scented perfume filled his nose as she delicately toyed with his hair, sending him into an odd sort of stunned calm as she carried him through the office. A few other Stelans noticed, pointing and whispering amongst themselves. The human employees noticed as well, but what confused Steven was how they looked at him with a mix of amusement and envy, even the other men.

What goes on in this workplace day to day!? He thought wildly as Sula’s office door hissed open.

If their own three desk office was nicely furnished, Sula’s own corner office suite was practically a palace. A marble fountain, nearly as tall as she was, was built into the wall, the water bubbling pleasantly as they entered. Her desk was real wood, redwood by the look of it, with bejeweled bronze penholders, a rose gold lined computer monitor that floated in mid-air using an anti-gravity stand, and even a minibar, holding expensive liquor bottles and cigars in Stelan size.

“Nice, isn’t it?” Sula giggled, placing him gently on the desk. She flicked her wrist, and the hovering computer monitor swung away, leaving the top of the desk free for him as she sat in the leather swivel chair across from him.

“Yes…” He gulped, the matronly alien woman was giving him a look like a cat seeing a canary, “What exactly did you want to see me for, Miss Cret? I don’t think there was any problems with my paperwork.”

“You can call me Sula,” she said dismissively, “I just wanted to have a word alone… I just wanted to know what you’re here to do, what you expect from your time in the Green Zone? I checked your file, you’ve never lived near Stelans.”

“Most of my business was with other humans,” he replied, “you might run the planet on paper, but outside of these places… We have our own affairs.”

He expected the statement to annoy or offend her, in fact he’d almost wanted it to, but she just chuckled, “So you’re one of those Free Earth types?”

“Not necessarily,” he said carefully, “but when I joined the agency years back, I did have a certain patriotism.”

“It’s funny to me that humans are still angry about things, after all of these years,” Sula said, glancing out the window.

“You conquered our planet,” Steven said, a hint of an edge to his voice.

“Oh, did we?” Sula asked nonchalantly, “all of our fashions, our entertainment, our government, it all caters to Earth tastes now,” she chuckled, looking down at her own suit, “I was just a little girl when we first found earth… but nobody would have been dressing like this, let me tell you!” She leaned in almost conspiratorially, “and between you and me… almost every woman in the Stelan senate is bonded to a human male, do you think they have no say in how our government is run? The way a lot of Stelans see it, Earth conquered the Imperium.”

“Bonded humans are little more than pets,” Steven said dismissively.

Sula raised an eyebrow, “Maybe you’ll find out for yourself one day,” she said, “many of the humans who work for Stelan companies end up bonding with a coworker at some point.”

“And then they get dragged off to your other worlds,” Steven guessed.

Sula shrugged, “Some… many Stelans find time on earth to be a sort of… transitional phase of their career, some fall in love and never leave.”

“Good for them I guess,” Steven muttered, “I’m here because Green Zone salaries are almost five times what you can find anywhere else. If I work here a few years, I’ll be able to retire back in the human governed areas. Until then I don’t think I’m looking to spend much time with… people here.”

“If you really want to do that, I’ll help you,” Sula said, startling him. She smiled sweetly at his reaction, “I’ll send you to your own little office suite, I’ll keep the girls from bothering you outside of work tasks, if you want, I can even give you the name of a good private car company to bring you to work. You could go your whole day with minimal Stelan contact if you wanted…” She grinned, waiting for his response.

“Why do I get the feeling that’s not what you recommend?” he replied, standing up on her desk, crossing his arms and staring at her as he tried to maintain his dignity.

“I think,” she said slowly, “that a man who moves to a Green Zone might have certain desires.” She slowly slid her feet out of her office pumps, leaning back and lifting her nyloned legs up and letting them rest on her desk next to Steven. The strong vinegary musk of feet that had spent all day in a pair of office shoes wafted over to him, overpowering the scent of her perfume and drawing his gaze as she playfully wiggled her toes through the sheer material.

“I don’t know what you mean,” he lied, looking away.

“It’s not something to be ashamed of,” Sula chuckled, “most earth-men develop an interest in women’s feet when spending time around Stelans. It’s simply how our biology interacts, I think.” Her foot slid across the wood, the massive appendage came nearly up to his chest as it softly pressed into him, the pungent big toe playfully pressing his chest, causing a rushing sound as the nylon rubbed against his shirt.

“I…” he gulped, fighting the urge to press his face into sole of her foot, “M-Maybe I’ve got a bit of a thing for-“

“Feet,” Sula said sharply. “Again, nothing to be ashamed of. My advice to you is to simply enjoy your time here, you don’t have to bond with anyone you don’t want to, in fact the whole process means you simply can’t. ” She playfully lifted the massive column of her leg over him, setting her other foot on the other side of him, leaving him surrounded by the playfully wiggling toes and the thick sweaty scent of the nylons.

“Enjoy my time?” he asked, blinking as he looked from the enormous feet, and back to his new boss. The whole day had been wild beyond his expectations, and now here he was with his superior telling him to… What exactly?

As he thought he found himself unconsciously sinking to his knees, grabbing the edge of her soft feet and slowly kneading them with his thumbs. The happy groan of the enormous woman was music to his ears, and without thinking he pressed his face down against the nylon clad toes, letting the scent wash over him as the digits playfully scrunched against his head, ruffling his hair and coating his face with the slightly grimy sweat.

He grunted as her other foot pressed into his back, leaving him sandwiched between the two. The soft feeling of the sheer nylons against his body as she playfully rubbed her feet up and down caused him to fight a groan, and the sensuous earthy scent of her feet filled his nostrils as the pressure increased, causing his back to pop as the powerful feet had their way with him.

“Do you like this?” she asked playfully.

“Y-Yes,” he groaned, feeling his erection straining against his pants as she continued to toy with him. If she keeps rubbing her soles over me like this… He tensed, gritting his teeth as he fought to keep himself under control.

“Just let go,” Sula said sweetly, “call it stress relief.

Steven’s eyes shot open, and he gasped, inhaling the intoxicating vinegary aroma as he came in his pants, his body spasming wildly as he was pressed firmly between the nylon clad feet. Sula just grinned, slowing, but not stopping, the grinding motion of her feet against his body, delicately milking his orgasm out of him as his body went limp.

Sula separated her feet, letting him collapse, panting and with stained pants, to her desk. She looked on a moment, a smug smile on her face as she observed her work. Finally after a few moments of recovery, she decided to speak again.

“Was it enjoyable? Are you relaxed?”

He blinked, his workplace superior had just brought him to climax with her feet, part of him wanted to be offended… but another part of him, a more honest part, realized he wasn’t. He breathed out slowly, standing back up and grimacing at the stain on the front of his pants.

“It wasn’t bad,” he said slowly.

“I thought as much…” She smirked, “The connection between Stelan women and males is quite powerful…”

“You can sense what we want?” he asked curiously.

She shrugged, “In a way… rest assured your innermost thoughts are your own, but you’re not the first human male employee I’ve had.” She sighed, “I know it’s not what you’re used to, I try to guide my males through this as well as I can, but in the Green Zones relations are much freer.” She gave him a pensive look as she finally pulled her feet off the desk, “Again, say the word and I’ll do what I can to keep you away from us… if that is what you want.”

“No,” he said, steadying himself and chuckling softly, “I guess… I guess I wanted something different.”

“Good boy,” she cooed. “Like I said, enjoy it! If you don’t want to be bonded to a Stelan, that’s fine! I’m very into Males Liberation!”

“Oh, really?” he asked, chuckling as he looked down at his stained pants.

She bit her lip, “I mean uh… I’m sorry, the pheromone effect goes both ways, and-“

“Don’t worry about it,” he sighed, “Some people warned me that things would be… different here.” He looked at the door, “It’s the end of the workday anyway, can I stay here until everyone else leaves? I don’t want to go out through the office like this.”

Sula smirked, “I’ll sneak you out! Hold still!”

She lifted her hand to him, slowly dialing settings on a ruby red ring that rested on her finger. He recognized it from the man he’d seen shrunk at the elevators earlier, and a second later there was a flash of light. He blinked as he looked up in awe, Sula had gone from a mere giant to a mountainous feature on his horizon, giggling excitedly at his reduced stature.

“Don’t worry, shrunken objects are much more durable,” her voice boomed as she reached for him. He instinctively tried to flee, but her fingers easily pinched his ant sized body, lifting them like a construction crane over the mouth of  her dress shoe.

Steven flailed as he was dropped onto the soft earthy scented insole of his manager. He held up his hands in protest, but as the enormous foot pressed into the shoe he’d been dropped in he found himself pushed along the interior as the smell and soft flesh hit him together like a tsunami.

“There we go,” Sula breathed, tapping her heel against the floor and tumbling Steven’s tiny body into a nice safe spot beneath her toes. She scrunched them over him as she walked, hugging him from all sides and coating him with the oily grime of her feet at the end of a long workday. 

Sula waved to the other employees leaving as she headed to the elevator. She paused a moment, feeling the squirming man in her shoe, and then with a giggle headed for the stairs instead.

Steven gasped as the light and air returned to his world, along with Sula grinning down at him mischievously.

“Take this human to this address,” she said, handing the shoe off to another Stelan, “and regrow him when you get there.”

The Stelan cab driver smirked down at him, slowly placing the shoe which contained him on the passenger seat of the cab.

Steven lay on the soft insole, looking up at the sky as the smell of his new manager’s feet radiated out from the walls around him.

Hell of a first day, he thought, chuckling to himself