- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Extremely Short Story.  

Misty worked at a dental office in just northwest of Clayton, NC.   It was just about closing time and her long jet black hair went halfway down her back tied in a pony tail felt sticky to the touch as the heat drug on in late summer.   She had heard about the experiment gone wrong down in Phoenix earlier that year and ever since there had been cases of people on the news that had just randomly shrunk.  

 

The tv droned on with yet another case and that’s when Misty noticed her co-worker Kelly walk in and plopping herself down on the chair to the right of her.  She let out a sigh and went to work on the computer.  

 

“Long day?” Misty asked.

“Yes, Im ready for the weekend.” Kelly replied. 

 

Misty turned back to her work station and continued working for another ½ hour working on sorting medical files. 

 

Misty finally said, “I’m taking off for the Labor Day weekend.  Ill text you when the grill party is?” as she turned and grabbed her purse.  

 

“Yea sounds great! I’ll clean up here before I leave as well.” Kelly replied also getting up. 

 

Kelly had already disappeared into the back of the office when Misty had gotten no further than turning and taking a step towards the door to the waiting room when she felt sick to her stomach, and then a swirling feeling down to the ground.  

 

Misty looked around as her sick feeling faded away.   The hardwood floor of the office seemed to go on forever.  The cracks had grown to the size where she hand to take huge steps to get across.  

 

Misty felt a rumble on the floor that was rhythmic.   Kelly appeared in the hallway behind the front desk.  Her black reebok princess shoes slapping the hardwood floor as she walked.  Her curly red hair was tied back and her dark blue scrubs highlighted her features perfectly for being a 5’6” tall.   But now she was massive. 

 

She stopped at a small door in the hallway and pulled out the broom and dust pan.  

 

“Noooooo!!!!!!!!!   Kelly!!!!!!!!!!  I’m Still Here!!!!” Misty Screamed. 

 

Kelly walked into the front desk area and put the broom down and started sweeping.   She got under the chairs and the computers and started to gather all of the dust into the center.  She heard nothing.  The only thing she heard was a bus rolling to a stop outside of the dentist office and to that she thought how slow it was. 

 

Kelly knew that Misty had a car but was not sure if she had it for today yet so she thought “Misty must have a long ride ahead of her.”.   Kelly had no idea she was being a danger to her co-worker The last thing on her mind were the news stories about people shrinking.  Plus Kelly thought it was ridiculous that people who shrunk were getting so much attention so even if she did come across anyone 1-2 inches she was not a kind person.  

 

Misty started running towards under her chair when she saw Kelly with the broom.   She stopped dead in her tracks when the broom slammed down into the ground in front of her.   She closed her eyes and tried to dive out of the way.  However, the broom drug her and released her after about a second.   She got up again the then started running towards the hallway.  However, Kelly’s massive size 10 black reebok princess shoe slammed down in front of her, knocking her to the ground as Kelly went to the different part of the room.   Misty soon found herself in the middle of the dust pile. 

 

“Kelly!!!!  Down here!!!” Misty yelled as it appeared Kelly was done.   It looked like Kelly looked at her.  But that was not the case. 

 

Misty waved her arms this time.  “Kelly!!!!   Kelly!!!!!! “  she screamed with all of her might.  No matter how much she screamed Kelly did not react like she heard her.  Unbeknownst to Misty, she had shrunk much smaller than any other people.   She shrunk to a 1/16th of an ich tall and she was far too small to be heard by Kelly.  

 

Kelly grabbed the dust pan and swept the dust into the dustpan.  Misty stumbled backwards as she watched the broom come speeding toward her. As she stumbled backwards, she found that she tumbled onto the dust pan and soon found herself covered in dust.   She screamed.   It felt like an amusement park ride but worse.   Kelly took the dust pan to the trash can that was by the back door and dumped the dust pan.  

 

Misty fell and landed in an old discarded Kleenex and was looking up.   She heard the closet door close and then Kelly appeared above her.  She tried to move but she had no time as the bag began to close.  Kelly was too quick.  

 

Kelly tied the bag and dropped it in the dumpster out back and walked back into the office.   She grabbed her purse and keys and locked up the dental office.   She looked forward to seeing Misty for the bbq over the long weekend.   Little did she know she had just thrown out her best friend and co-worker with the trash   

Chapter End Notes:

Please let me know your thoughts!   Comments, what I can do better.   Any suggestions for future stories would be greatly appreciated.   Hope you enjoyed it.