- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 Don't forget to leave a review of you like the story

Author's Chapter Notes:

Things at Summer Pine High are about to get a whole lot bigger, as shy student Mathew Hillman confronts his worst nightmare - hosting a towering mythic giantesses.

Mathew Hillman awoke slowly, blinking his eyes against the morning sunlight streaming in through the small dormitory window. With a yawn, he stretched his arms over his head, wincing slightly as his back cracked. The lumpy mattress had done him no favors, as usual. One day he hoped to be able to afford something better than these rock-hard beds the school provided. But such luxuries were distant dreams for now.


Swinging his legs over the side of the bed, Mathew sat up and tried to shake the remaining grogginess from his head. Today was not a day to be tired or unfocused. As he went through his morning routine, his mind kept returning to the significance of what lay ahead.


Today was the day. The day everything would change for their little school. Mathew splashed some water on his face and regarded his reflection in the dingy mirror above the sink. His bright blue eyes stared back at him, filled with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. He ran a hand through his shaggy brown hair in an attempt to smooth it down. At 16 years old, Mathew was tall and lanky, hitting a growth spurt last year that left his uniform perpetually looking one size too small. Most days he rushed through getting ready, eager to escape the confines of the cramped dorm room. But today he took his time, knowing he’d rather delay the inevitable.


Once he finally deemed his appearance presentable enough, Mathew slung his backpack over one shoulder and headed downstairs. The halls were already bustling with activity as his fellow classmates emerged from their rooms, yawning and rubbing bleary eyes. A few of them shot Mathew nervous glances as he joined the chattering crowd making their way to the cafeteria for breakfast. No one seemed eager to discuss the giant elephant in the room. Or rather, the giantess who would soon be joining them.


The line for food stretched nearly out the door, moving at a crawl. Mathew tapped his foot impatiently, stomach rumbling. He needed coffee and food if he was going to get through this day. The air was filled with anxiety and uncertainty that grated on his nerves. Finally retrieving some lukewarm eggs and burnt toast, Mathew scanned the crowded tables until he spotted a familiar blond head.


“Eric!” he called out, winding his way over to his best friend.


Eric Greene glanced up and waved him over. “Hey man. Ready for the big day?”


Mathew snorted, setting his tray down across from him. “Sure, if by ready you mean feeling like I’m gonna hurl at any moment.”


Eric grinned sympathetically. With his tousled blond hair, sparkling green eyes and athletic frame, Eric was one of the more popular guys in their class. He and Mathew had been close friends since grade school despite their vastly different social standing. Mathew knew Eric was asked all the time why he hung out with an average kid like him, but Eric would just laugh and sling an arm around Mathew’s shoulders, saying true friends don’t care about things like popularity.


Mathew appreciated more than he could say having a loyal friend like Eric in this place. They’d leaned on each other through all the twists and turns of adolescence. And now they would enter this strange new phase together at Summer Pine High.


“Yeah, I’m pretty freaked out too,” Eric admitted through a mouthful of cereal. “I mean, we all knew this was coming someday. But it still feels so crazy, you know? Are we really gonna have a giantess in our school?”


Mathew shuddered at the thought. “I’m trying not to think about it too much. Otherwise I start feeling like the room is shrinking.”


Ever since the fateful announcement last month that their little boarding school would be selected for the exchange program this year, a cloud of apprehension had fallen over the campus. Students whispered nervously in the halls about what it would be like when the giantess arrived. Having a mythical creature from another realm suddenly in their midst was jarring, to say the least. Mathew almost wished they could return to the days when giants were just legends – terrifying beings from another world who occasionally snatched humans that strayed too far into their mountains.


But twenty years ago, everything had changed. Portals between the human world and the giants’ realm had mysteriously opened up in various locations around the globe. For the first time, contact became possible between the two races. It quickly became apparent the giants saw little value in establishing positive relations. Why should they care about creatures so far beneath them?


When emissaries attempted to foster goodwill by proposing an exchange program between schools, they were laughed off as absurd. But over the years, global governments had carefully negotiated terms with the recalcitrant giants. There was a touch of fear behind the push for cooperation – if the giants decided to invade the human world, the consequences would be catastrophic. And so the exchange program had been established. Each year a school was selected to host a giantess and send a human student to the giants’ school in return.


No one knew much about what happened on the other side. Rumors circulated about the poor human exchange students meeting sticky ends. None had ever returned alive. Meanwhile hosting a giantess came with its own unique set of challenges and risks. Their school would be the latest to take its chances.


“I wonder what she’ll be like,” Eric mused, staring thoughtfully at the ceiling. “They’re supposed to be like a hundred feet tall or something crazy like that, right?”


“Yeah, around that size.” Mathew shuddered, picturing a creature that was colossal lumbering through his school’s halls. “I just hope she’s not mean, you know? The last thing we need is some bully giantess tormenting us.”


They exchanged an uneasy look. Both had heard the horror stories. Schools having to build giant bomb shelters in case of temper tantrums. Stories of giant feet crushing desks and even students by accident. Nothing but grim tales of misfortune from past exchange attempts.


Mathew sighed, pushing his tray away, appetite suddenly vanished. “Guess we’ll find out soon enough. We should get to class.”


The two bussed their dishes and headed out into the courtyard. The rugged peaks of the Sierras rose in the distance past neat rows of pine trees, but Mathew took no comfort from the familiar view today. A giant now inhabited those mountains. And soon one would live among them too.


The morning passed by in a haze. Teachers stumbled through lessons, clearly as distracted as the students by what was coming. No one bothered taking notes or answering questions. The only thing on everyone's mind was the quickly approaching assembly that afternoon.


At lunch, Mathew picked at his food, too anxious to do more than nibble at his sandwich. All around him students talked in hushed voices about their hopes and fears. Every mention of the giantess sent a fresh wave of nerves swirling through his stomach.


Finally, after the longest day in recent memory, the bell rang signaling the start of the assembly. Slowly the chattering students filtered out into the courtyard, subdued and uneasy. As Mathew took his place amidst his silently fidgeting classmates, Principal Collins stepped up to the podium looking more somber than Mathew had ever seen her.


After adjusting the microphone, she spoke, her voice echoing across the crowd. “Students, I know you are all deeply concerned about the monumental changes coming to our school. Starting tomorrow, we will be hosting a giantess here for six months as part of the governmental exchange program.”


She paused, as if to give them a moment to digest her words. Mathew shifted on his feet, palms sweating. Saying it out loud somehow made it more real.


“I understand many of you are fearful of this new reality,” the principal continued heavily. “Believe me, I share those concerns. But the selection process is random and beyond our control. All we can do is make the best of this opportunity to bridge the divide between our worlds.”


Mathew saw a few students roll their eyes in skepticism. He had to admit, he felt the same way. How could they possibly bridge anything with a hostile creature that saw them as beneath notice?


“I want you all to welcome our new student with open minds and hearts,” Mrs. Collins went on, her tone almost pleading. “With effort on both sides, perhaps we can find common ground.”


It was clear she was trying to convince herself as much as the students. Mathew wished he could share her optimism that this exchange would be anything other than a disaster.


The principal changed tracks, her expression growing somber once more. “As you all know, the exchange goes both ways. And so today we will also be selecting one human student to send to the giants’ school.”


A collective intake of breath swept over the assembled students. Mathew’s mouth went dry. In all the anxiety over the giantess, he had nearly forgotten about the poor soul who would be sent away in return. His palms began to sweat as he thought of the gruesome rumors about past human exchange students. None had ever come back to tell the tale.


“I wish there was another way,” Mrs. Collins continued, voice heavy with emotion. “But we must abide by the terms set forth. Let us keep our departing student in our hearts, with the hope they may defy the odds and return to us one day.”


Mathew's stomach churned with dread. He would not want to be in that student's shoes for anything. Waiting for selection was its own special kind of torture. He saw other students clutching each other's hands, silently praying.


Principal Collins cleared her throat, squaring her shoulders as if bracing herself. “Now, I will explain the selection process. We believe this will give everyone the most fair chance possible.”


Mathew held his breath. Here it came.


“Selection will be based on academic performance.”


Mathew blinked in surprise, exchanging a bewildered look with Eric. Academic performance? There were murmurs of confusion among the other students as well. They had expected random selection. This was something totally new.


Mrs. Collins raised her hands to quiet the rising clamor. “I know this is unexpected. Please, let me explain the rationale.” The courtyard gradually fell silent again.


“Instead of random chance, the teachers and I believe evaluating students’ efforts in the classroom is ultimately the most equitable approach. Tomorrow you will all take a comprehensive exam covering all subjects you’ve studied this year. The student with the lowest overall score will be selected for the exchange.”


Stunned reactions rippled through the gathered crowd. Mathew's mind reeled. A test? His fate would come down to a single test? Panicked questions raced through his thoughts. What if it was material he didn't know well? What if he froze up from the pressure?


Eric leaned over with wide eyes. “Dude, this is crazy,” he whispered. “We’re gonna live or die based on some school exam?”


Mathew just shook his head, at a loss for words. His grades had always been painfully average. The idea of his survival depending on one test score made his heart drop into his shoes. He watched as friends comforted friends, teammates clutched each other in solidarity. He had no idea what to think.


Up at the podium, Mrs. Collins held her hands out pleadingly. “Please, students, I implore you to look at this as a fair chance for everyone. The teachers are working diligently to prepare a comprehensive exam that will test the knowledge you have all gained this year. We want everyone to have an equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.”


Her words did little to dispel the malaise hanging over the courtyard. No one liked having their destiny subject to the whims of a school test. But the principal's stern expression made it clear the decision was final.


After a few more tense reminders about proper behavior when the giantess arrived, Mrs. Collins dismissed them. The usual excited chatter was muted as the students wandered off in a daze, pondering their grim task tomorrow.


Mathew walked with Eric back towards the dorms, feeling shell-shocked. “This sucks, man,” Eric said, shaking his head. “I mean I get decent grades and all, but if I mess up one test...” He trailed off, the unspoken words hanging heavy between them. Mathew knew Eric was thinking about those who struggled more in school. What chance did they stand now?


They passed gathered clusters of students, huddled together and speaking in anxious whispers about the daunting challenge ahead. Mathew spotted Nina, one of the top ranked students, offering tutoring to anyone who wanted it. She caught his eye, giving him a small encouraging smile. Swallowing back the lump in his throat, Mathew tried to return it.


Nina had always been kind to him, even when she was far outpacing him on exams. With her pixie-cut black hair and bright eyes, she was the picture of a teacher’s pet. But her sweet and selfless nature made it impossible to resent her for it. Mathew waved half-heartedly back as he and Eric continued on towards the dorms. He could feel her concerned gaze and the eyes of all his classmates following him. The teachers had surely made the choice with good intentions, but Mathew doubted this would go over well.


“Hey, want to study together tonight?” Eric asked as they paused outside Mathew's room. “Maybe it’ll help having someone else there.”


Mathew chewed his lip uncertainty. “I don’t know man. I’m kinda shit at this stuff, you know that.” He gestured hopelessly at his bookbag like it was a leaden weight. “Not sure a few hours of staring at words I don’t get is gonna help much.”


Eric clapped him on the shoulder. “Come on, don’t sell yourself short. It can’t hurt to try.” Seeing Mathew's doubtful look, he tried again. “Look, we’ll order pizza, I’ll bring the drinks, we can quiz each other and complain about what bullshit this is. Might as well go through it together, right?”


Mathew managed a small smile at that. Maybe Eric was right that misery loves company. “Alright sure, sounds better than sitting here stressing alone all night.”


Eric grinned and gave him a playful shove towards his room. “Atta boy. I’ll come grab you in a few hours then. Try not to obsess too much till then.” With a wave, he headed off down the hall towards his own dorm.


Mathew watched him go, wishing he could borrow some of his friend’s confidence. Eric had always been better at rolling with the punches. Letting out a long breath, Mathew pushed open his door and went inside.


His tiny room held nothing more than the basics – a sagging twin bed, a scuffed wooden desk and dresser, and a few faded nature posters he’d taped up in an attempt to liven up the dull beige walls. After changing into comfortable clothes, Mathew sat down heavily on his creaky mattress. He tried to ignore the way it sank beneath him, exacerbating the sinking feeling in his gut.


Dragging his bookbag over, he pulled out the heavy textbooks and notepads crammed inside. Where should he even start? His notes from class were disorganized scribbles at best, full of doodles and days where he’d just zoned out, unable to focus. Literature concepts, algebra formulas, historical dates – everything jumbled together in his mind, slipping away when he tried to grasp them.


The only subject he excelled at was art, which he pursued as a hobby in his scarce free time. Mathew sighed as he flipped through messy pages of sketches rather than academic material. If only doodling was the key to success tomorrow, he’d have no issue. Though he doubted a charcoal still life would save him from the giants.


Glancing at the clock, he saw a few hours remaining until Eric would arrive. Resigned to his fate, Mathew retrieved a pencil from his backpack and attempted to impose some order on his chaotic notes. But within minutes, his eyelids grew heavy, the words blurring on the page. Maybe if he just rested his eyes for a moment...


The next thing Mathew knew, he was jerking awake to a loud banging on his door. Blinking groggily, he swiped at the drool dampening his cheek. The room was now dark, his pitiful study materials still spread out untouched before him.


“Yo, you're alive in there?” came Eric's muffled voice. More obnoxious knocking followed.


“Yeah, yeah, coming,” Mathew yelled back hoarsely. He lurched to his feet, joints creaking in protest. Fumbling for the lightswitch, he blinked against the harsh fluorescent glare as Eric let himself in.


“Did you seriously fall asleep?” Eric laughed, taking in Mathew's wild bedhead and bleary expression. “Some motivated study buddy you are.”


Mathew ran a hand through his hair and grimaced. “Shit, sorry man. I guess I was more wiped than I realized.”


Eric shrugged good-naturedly, setting two boxes of pizza and a six-pack of sodas on Mathew's desk. “No worries. That’s why I’m here to get your ass in gear.” He grabbed a slice and settled cross-legged on Mathew's bed. “Now let's see what we’re working with here.”


Together they tackled the mountainous study materials. Eric walked him patiently through algebra formulas and English essay structure while they plowed through pizza. Mathew struggled through historical dates and science definitions, his head soon aching with information overload. But having Eric there cracking jokes and jostling his shoulder to get his attention when he zoned out made the tedious work bearable.


A few hours later, Mathew collapsed dramatically backwards across his bed. “Ugh, I can’t cram anything else into my brain,” he groaned, pressing the heels of his palms against his eyes. “It’s all turning into mush.”


Eric chuckled, grabbing another slice of cold pizza from the dwindling leftovers. “Alright, I guess we’ve tortured you enough for one night. I should head out anyway before the power-tripping RA bitches at us.” Gathering the empty cans and cardboard boxes, he bundled up their trash and peered thoughtfully at Mathew. “You gonna be okay, man?”


Mathew kept his forearm flung over his eyes, heaving a deep sigh. “Honestly? No idea. Just trying not to imagine getting stomped into a smear tomorrow if my essay skills aren’t up to par.”


Mathew felt Eric's hand squeeze his shoulder bracingly. "Hey, don't think like that," his friend said firmly. "We're all in this shitty situation together. But moping and stressing yourself to death over some test isn't gonna help."


Removing his arm, Mathew looked up to see Eric regarding him intently. "I know it's scary not having control over what happens," Eric continued. "But you studied harder tonight than I've ever seen. All you can do now is get some rest and walk in there tomorrow with your head held high."


Despite his swirling anxiety, Mathew managed a small grateful smile. "Thanks man. Don't know what I'd do without you here to talk sense into me."


Eric grinned and ruffled Mathew's hair playfully. "Probably hide under your covers all night eating junk food and feeling sorry for yourself." His smile turned serious once more. "But for real, you got this. Just try your best and leave the rest up to fate. Not much else we can do."


Mathew nodded, wishing he could share his friend's pragmatic outlook. With a final reassuring clap on the back, Eric gathered his things and slipped out into the hall. "See you tomorrow," he said. "We'll get through this crazy day like we have everything else - together."


"Yeah, see you tomorrow," Mathew echoed. He listened to Eric's footsteps retreating down the hall, taking with him the only shred of confidence Mathew had left.


Alone once more, Mathew fell back onto his lumpy mattress. He kept replaying Eric's pep talk in his mind but it did little to calm his rattled nerves. In less than 12 hours, his entire future would hinge on the results of a single test. And if history was any judge, the prospects were grim should he fail.


Tossing and turning on the rock-hard dorm bed, Mathew watched the minutes tick by on his clock. He knew he should try to get some rest, but whenever he closed his eyes, visions of monstrous schoolmates filled his mind. The distant mountains that once seemed so beautiful and majestic now took on a sinister cast. What horrors dwelled out there in the coming darkness?


Sometime past midnight, Mathew finally drifted off into a fitful sleep. But his dreams provided no respite. He stood paralyzed as colossal figures closed in around him, the ground shaking with their thundering footsteps. Sharp cliffs transformed into jagged teeth, opening wide to swallow him whole. And everywhere he turned, giant eyes glinted down at him, filled with disdain and hunger.


Morning arrived in the form of his blaring alarm, dispelling the nightmares. With a groan, Mathew flung an arm out to silence it. He lay still for a long moment, staring up at the cracks in the plaster ceiling and trying to gather his frayed courage. Today decided everything.


Mathew dressed in a mechanical haze, his uniform feeling even more constricting than normal. He barely tasted his toast and eggs in the knotted silence of the cafeteria. Students spoke in hushed whispers if at all, the impending test weighing heavy on everyone's minds. Those with top grades tried to discreetly offer tutoring and words of encouragement to their more struggling classmates. But fear and resignation still dominated most faces.


With leaden feet, Mathew made his way to class behind Eric. They filed silently into their seats, not even attempting small talk. At the front of the room, Mr. Edmunds shuffled through a stack of test packets, his expression grim. Mathew felt a pang of sorrow for his teachers being forced into this awful role.


As the final bell rang, Mr. Edmunds cleared his throat. "I know you are all understandably concerned about today's exam," he began, toying anxiously with his glasses. "Please know we instructors poured our hearts into making this assessment as fair as possible. I have the utmost faith in all of you."


His attempted smile looked more like a pained grimace. Mathew appreciated his teacher trying to ease their worries, but nothing could fully quell the dread coursing through him. This was a nightmare no encouraging words could dispel.


Mr. Edmunds passed out the test packets with reluctance. "You have two hours," he announced. "Afterwards, please sit quietly until everyone has finished. Good luck, students."


Mathew stared down at the sterile white pages before him. A tide of panic welled up in his chest before he forced it back down. He had no choice but to try now. Pencil shaking slightly, he began to read through the questions.


The test covered everything from complex math formulas to obscure historical events and vocabulary terms he'd never seen. Mathew took his time, trying to work through each section carefully. But many questions left him baffled, no matter how hard he wracked his brain. His history knowledge was little help with advanced calculus.


As the minutes ticked by, Mathew grew more and more discouraged. Other students had their heads bent intently over their papers, scribbling away. But all Mathew could do was leave entire sections blank, feeling hope slip away.


By the time Mr. Edmunds called for them to set their pencils down, Mathew's stomach was in knots. He glanced over at Eric who gave him a subtle thumbs up before his expression darkened upon seeing Mathew's grim face. Silently they handed their papers forward. The teachers had a long and unpleasant road of grading ahead.


The classroom was eerily silent as everyone waited for the dreaded results. Some students bowed their heads on their desks, while others stared straight ahead, lost in thought. Mathew sat motionless, listening to his pounding heartbeat and trying not to throw up. This was it. His future would be decided within the next few hours.


The grueling afternoon dragged on endlessly. Teachers slipped in and out of the classroom, faces drawn. Students jumped each time the door opened, expecting news. But again and again, they were left waiting in torturous suspense.


When Principal Collins finally entered, the room seemed to freeze. Mathew stared at her, unable to breathe. In her hands she carried a single sheet of paper with a name written on it. A name that belonged to the student now sacrificed in humanity's faltering bid for peace.


Mathew's lightheadedness worsened as the principal approached Mr. Edmunds, handing him the fateful results. His teacher accepted it like it was a live grenade liable to explode at any moment. Adjusting his glasses, Mr. Edmunds regarded the class sorrowfully before speaking the two words that would seal someone's destiny.


"Matthew Hillman."


Mathew felt the blood drain from his face. He sat frozen, certain he had misheard. But Mr. Edmunds' mournful gaze was fixed on him, as were all the other students' heads turning to stare. This couldn't be real. It had to be some kind of awful mistake.


"No..." he whispered in disbelief. He glanced desperately at Eric, hoping his friend would tell him this was all a bad dream. But Eric just looked back, stricken, all reassurances dying on his lips.


Mr. Edmunds cleared his throat gently. "Sorry I meant Mathew Hogwarts, if you would please gather your things and come with me."


Mathew's pounding heart skipped a beat. Hogwarts? Not him? His eyes darted to where Mathew Hogwarts sat white-faced, mouth agape in shock.


Mr. Edmunds gave an apologetic dip of his head. "My mistake, I read the wrong name. Let me start again." Adjusting his glasses, he regarded the class sorrowfully before speaking the two words that would seal someone's destiny.


"Matthew Hogwarts."


A collective gasp swept the room. All eyes turned to Matthew Hogwarts, who looked on the verge of fainting. Mathew Hillman felt lightheaded himself with relief. It wasn't him. He wasn't the one chosen.


Mathew Hogwarts stood on trembling legs, staring beseechingly at Mr. Edmunds. But their teacher just gestured helplessly for him to come forward. With slow, unsteady steps, Hogwarts made his way to the front of the silent room, looking like a prisoner headed to execution.


As Mathew Hogwarts was escorted from the classroom by the ashen-faced principal, a heavy gloom settled over everyone left behind. Low conversations broke out discussing Hogwarts' fate and their own narrow escape. Mathew sagged back in his seat, letting out a shaky breath. He couldn't imagine the terror his classmate now faced.


To help take their minds off the grim events, Mr. Edmunds passed back their graded tests. Mathew stared down at the red 55 circled at the top of the first page. Well, that explained why he had barely scraped by. But passing by one or two points was still passing when the alternative was getting sent to the giants.


He leaned over to see the 78 marked on Eric's paper. His studious friend had pulled through, but Mathew could tell by his drawn expression that Eric took no joy in his success. Not when it came at such a cost for poor Hogwarts.


Up ahead, Nina regarded her 100 score without any hint of pride for once. She nudged Hogwarts' abandoned test mournfully, as if any percentage could help him now. Nothing but luck had spared the rest of them today. And that luck had cruelly passed one of their own by.


Later at lunch, Mathew picked at his food, guilt nagging at him. That should have been him chosen, by all rights. Not Hogwarts who had always been kind despite his shy nature. It didn't seem just, but then again nothing about their situation was. All they could do was keep their heads down and hope to survive unscathed for another year.


As Mathew carried his half-eaten meal to the trash, he felt the bracelet around his wrist like a phantom weight. He had come so close to being marked. Next year, would it be his turn to face exile? There were no guarantees in this game of chance. But for today, he had emerged unscathed. Tomorrow was yet one more day to dread when it came.


Mathew dumped his uneaten food in the trash and headed outside, needing air. His head still spun with lingering dread and relief. As he wandered past stately pines, he couldn't stop replaying those horrific moments when he'd thought the ax had fallen on him. The sheer terror as his life flashed before his eyes...he never wanted to experience that again.


But he knew it was only a temporary reprieve. Every year brought a new round of deadly roulette. One day his luck would run out, just as it had for poor Hogwarts.


Mathew sank down on a secluded bench beside the track field, head in hands. In the distance he could hear classmates laughing and playing, already putting the grim events behind them. But for him the close brush with mortality still lingered. He knew he should feel grateful, but survivor's guilt gnawed at him.


"Mind if I join you?"


Mathew glanced up to see Nina hovering uncertainly, books clutched to her chest. He nodded and scooted over on the worn wooden bench.


"How are you holding up?" she asked gently, tucking a lock of dark hair behind her ear. Her large brown eyes were full of concern.


Mathew just shook his head mutely. He didn't have words to describe the maelstrom inside him.


Nina seemed to understand his turmoil. "I know it's a lot to process," she said. "What happened to Hogwarts is awful. But try not to beat yourself up over test scores. It could have easily gone another way."


"Yeah, it could have been me sent off instead," Mathew said bitterly, dropping his gaze to his lap. "Not sure how I'm supposed to live with that."


"Oh, Mathew." Nina touched his shoulder softly. "Please don't torment yourself over factors beyond your control. All we can do is make the most of the time we have here."


Mathew knew she was right, but the guilt continued gnawing at him. He was reminded of their mortality while Hogwarts now faced the great unknown alone. It didn't seem right that he got to continue his daily school routines as if nothing had changed.


Nina gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze. "Want to take a walk? It's too nice a day to sit here stewing." Without waiting for an answer, she stood briskly and held out a hand.


With a small grin, Mathew let her pull him to his feet. Nina always seemed to know how to get him moving when he was lost in his own head. As they strolled past flower beds and sun-dappled trees, she filled the silence by chatting about classes and innocent topics that helped anchor Mathew back in the moment. Being near her caring spirit never failed to lift his mood.


By the time they circled back to the main building, Mathew felt more settled. The lingering shadows had receded for now. Nina's smile as they parted ways made his heart lift in a way he didn't dare examine too closely.


"See you tomorrow," she said with a playful nudge. "Try not to study yourself into oblivion tonight."


Mathew rubbed his neck ruefully. "No danger of that. I'm swearing off books for at least a week." At her laugh, he added sincerely, "Thanks for getting me out of my funk earlier. You're the best, Nina."


A pleased blush colored her cheeks. "What are friends for? Catch you later, Mathew." With a little wave, she headed off down the hall.


Back in his dorm room, Mathew set his bag down and flopped onto his creaky bed. Despite the emotional rollercoaster of the day, exhaustion quickly caught up with him. As his eyes drifted shut, his thoughts turned to Nina.


He pictured her sweet smile and the caring way she'd consoled him earlier. There was always such light around her, driving back any shadows. The memory of her hand resting gently on his shoulder made Mathew's face warm. He and Nina had been friends since grade school, but lately his feelings had begun shifting into new, confusing territory.


A knock at the door jolted Mathew from his drifting thoughts. Rubbing his eyes, he sat up to see Eric letting himself in.


"There you are, bro. I've been looking for you," Eric said, grabbing Mathew's desk chair and straddling it casually. "Had to escape the chaos of dinner. Everyone's buzzing about you-know-who."


Mathew's mood dimmed again at the reminder of Hogwarts' fate. In just 5 days, the poor guy would be sent through the portal to live among the giants. And that's when the giantess exchange student would arrive too. The very thought made Mathew shudder.


"Yeah, I needed some space to wrap my head around everything," he replied.


Eric nodded grimly. "Tell me about it. The whole school's on edge. In just a few days..." He trailed off uncomfortably.


In just a few days, their world would be turned upside down by the arrival of a colossal exchange student. It was a lot to come to terms with in such a short timeframe. Mathew could barely process that in less than a week, one of their own would be gone forever, and a towering giantess would be there in his place.


"Ah well, enough depressing shit for one day," Eric said abruptly, rummaging in his hoodie pocket...


What do you think about the first installment of the new story, tell me what you think, is it a good idea
Chapter End Notes:

What do you think of the first chapter of the story, lemme know by giving the chapter a review