- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 3

Selena strolled through the tiny human village, towering above the tiny houses roof cottages nestled side by side along the road. Warm sunlight caressed her skin as a soft breeze whispered through her long golden hair. Far below, little humans gazed up at her in awe, some kneeling in reverence before their giant goddess. 


"Please, have mercy!" their reedy voices pleaded. Selena smiled benevolently down at the little guys, before lifting her feet up and.


"Selena! Hey, Selena!" A distant voice bellowed, intruding into her tranquil world. The idyllic scene began fragmenting around her.


"Wake up, sleepyhead!" The voice rang out again, even louder. With a groan, Selena reluctantly opened her eyes. Bright sunlight streamed through the classroom windows rather than the setting sun of her dreamscape. And instead of tiny houses, there were rows of gigantic wooden desks receding around her. Tiana's grinning face loomed overhead as Selena blinked groggily. 


"Come on, time for lunch!" her exuberant friend announced. 


Selena yawned and sat up, joints cracking. She must have dozed off sometime during 4th period. Probably not the best idea on today of all days, but Tiana's droning voice lecturing up at the front had lulled her into a stupor. 


"Ugh, what time is it?" Selena mumbled, brushing back her long golden locks. 


"Almost noon, girl," replied Tiana. "You slept through the whole lesson. Lucky Mr. Eldon didn't notice, or you'd be stuck in detention right now."


Selena grimaced. Normally she tried to stay on the teachers' good side. Falling asleep was so not like her. But like the rest of the school, her mind was preoccupied with the upcoming selection ceremony that afternoon. 


"What'd I miss?" Selena mumbled, gathering her textbooks scattered across the desk. 


"Just that the world was about to end. She exaggerated.


"What" Selena asked confused


"Just kidding, it's just plain old trigonometry,I'll fill you in later." Tiana slung her bulky patchwork bag over one shoulder. "Now come on, let's go fuel up in the cafeteria"


Selena had a blank stare, clearly not understanding the joke Tiana told


Tina exited the class, Selena followed Tiana out into the vaulted granite hallway. Only her friend could get so pumped about cafeteria food. But Tiana's enthusiasm was infectious, and Selena found her grogginess evaporating. This was no regular lunch period - today was the long-awaited selection when a young celeden would go into the human world to live the dream life.


In three hours, the "choosing ceremony" would take place in the school's massive arena. Selena gnawed her lip nervously, imagining hundreds of her school mates sitting in a single room waiting for some news


The cafeteria’s vaulted ceilings soared hundreds of feet overhead. Selena grabbed a wooden tray the size of a dance floor and joined the queue of students that snaked halfway across the room. Everyone seemed to be vibrating with an undercurrent of nervous excitement about the rapidly approaching event. 


Selena eyed the feast laid out along the buffet line. There were mountains of boundless food, enough to feed thousands of humans. Platters of roasted meats, heaps of vegetables loomed like colorful hills, and barrels of fresh fruit juice could quench a small town’s thirst. She took her time piling her plate high.


Tray loaded with nourishment, Selena scanned the crowded room for her friends. Amidst the sea of youthful giant faces, she quickly spotted Nina’s signature braided ponytail. Weaving through the packed tables and benches, Nina was the brains of their quartet. Her long black hair was, as always, neatly plaited down her back. Though not the most sociable, Nina's humor balanced out the group.


 Selena made her way over to the group. 


“Hey ladies,” she greeted, setting her overloaded tray down with a thunk. 


“There you are!” Nina exclaimed. “We were worried Tiana might have…."


“Oh shush, I wasn’t that boring,” Tiana protested through a mouthful of potato.  


Selena laughed as she slid onto the bench beside Mia. The shy giantess gave her a soft hello but seemed distracted poking at her food. 


“So,” Selena began lightly, “who else is freaking out about the ceremony?”


“Only all of us,” giggled Nina. The slender blonde clasped her hands together anxiously. “What if I get tongue-tied when I'm chosen?”


“Then try not to eat it,” Tiana quipped. She swallowed a chunk of meat half the size of a cow whole. 


Nina shot her a sour look. “Gee thanks, really helpful.”


"No problem," said Tiana with a sarcastic smile. "Though we all know I'm a show. No way they'll pass up these guns." She flexed her enormous bicep with a grin.


Nina gave a soft snort, nibbling on a bread roll the size of a compact car. "Yeah, because nothing says a perfect student than an aggressive brute, besides I don't think you'll even fit in the portal."


Tiana flicked a pea at her, which Nina dodged with a laugh. Though ribbing each other was part of their dynamic.


Mia stirred her soup aimlessly. “I don’t even know if I want to be picked,” she mumbled.


The others turned to her in surprise. “What do you mean?” Selena asked gently. As the second tallest in their group at 180 feet, Mia could cut an imposing figure, but her nature was the opposite of what he frame portrayed. Selena knew she was likely overwhelmed by the prospect of being sent halfway across the universe.  


Mia fiddled with her braid nervously. “I just...I don’t know if I’m ready for that kind of adventure what if they try to attack me?”


“Oh, honey.” Nina patted her shoulder statically. “Their technology hasn't advanced enough to evenake us bleed, rather it's the other way around, they would be the one trembling and scared of their pitiful Life.!”


Tiana nodded eagerly. “Yeah, and just think - hundreds of teeny people staring at you in awe!” She puffed out her chest. “I bet they’ll worship us like gods.”


Selena hid a smile as she bit into a turkey. Beneath her cocky bravado, Tiana clearly hoped to be the one chosen. At 205 feet tall with shoulders like a linebacker, her hulking friend cut the most imposing figure at school. 


"I don't know, I just don't like the idea of being stared at by those tiny things and feel like a creep" mia said


"Creep?, Selena gasped " 1st, there are the creeps for staring at some for no reason, besides you should bask in all the attention you'll be getting, I mean hundreds  of people staring at you , noticing your presence is a dream some people have you know".


"I don't think they will be staring for no reason, I'll be freaking huge compare to


Before Selena could say anything else, a deep voice bellowed across the cafeteria. 


“Mind if I join you ladies?”


She looked up to see Jerry approaching with his usual swagger. Mia’s younger brother was trailed by several of his awestruck friends. Jerry was already one of the biggest and most popular guys in school. He flashed his sister a dimpled grin as the group pulled up chairs. 


“Jerry,” Mia greeted flatly. 


“What’s up, big sis?” Jerry helped himself to a hunk of bread from Mia’s tray, ignoring her swat. “So, you ready for the big selection?”


Mia shrugged, poking at her soup once more. “I guess so.”


Jerry leaned back in his chair, lacing his hands casually behind his head. “You all know they’re gonna pick me, right? I mean, look at this million dollar smile.” He grinned brightly at the surrounding girls. “How could they say no to all this?”


Selena rolled her eyes as his friends hooted in agreement. Mia just scowled and went back to brooding over her food. 


Undaunted, Jerry snatched another roll off Mia’s tray, deftly avoiding her slap this time. “Yep, just imagine me hanging with those little dudes soon.” He and his friends laughed.


“You’re so full of it,” Nina said flatly. “They won’t pick you just because you have an overinflated ego.”


Jerry placed a hand over his heart, feeling offended. “You hurt  me! I’ll have you know I’m a model student. My dashing good looks are just a bonus.” He dodged the carrot Mia flung at him, cackling.  


“Come on, bro, leave them be,” one of his friends said. With a cheeky wave, Jerry allowed his entourage to tug him away.


“Ugh, I cannot wait until his voice changes,” Mia grumbled once he was gone. “Maybe it’ll deflate his big head.”


Selena smiled sympathetically. “I know he’s a lot to take. But try not to let him get under your skin.” She gave Mia’s arm a comforting squeeze. “This is your moment. Don’t let Jerry ruin it.”


Mia managed a small grateful smile in return. “You’re right. I should just focus on getting through this ceremony first.” She took a deep breath, sitting up straighter. “Then I can stress about everything else after.”


“There you go!” Nina cheered. “We’re all in this together. Let’s just try and have fun with it.”


Selena nodded firmly. “Agreed. We’ll get through today as a team.” Under the table, she crossed her fingers for good luck. No matter what happened in that arena, she knew her friends would face it side-by-side.  


After lunch, the giantesses parted ways to attend their various afternoon classes. But with the ominous ceremony looming, no one could focus on schoolwork. Selena stared blankly at the kernels of wisdom written on the chalkboard, leg jiggling anxiously beneath her desk. All around students whispered and passed notes, oblivious to the teacher’s halfhearted attempts to quiet them. The air buzzed with nervous excitement about the rapidly approaching selection.


When the final bell rang, Selena felt lightheaded with anticipation. This was it. The moment they’d all obsessed over for weeks. As she emerged into the crowded hallway with her classmates, Selena spotted Mia up ahead. The tall celden looked rather green, hands clenching and unclenching her books anxiously. 


Selena hurried over and looped their arms together. “Hey, you hanging in there?”


Mia gnawed her bottom lip, gazing fixedly ahead. “Trying to. I feel like I’m going to trip walking up when they call my name and make a total fool of myself.”  


“Aww, don’t worry about that!” Selena gave her arm a reassuring squeeze. “No one’s expecting grace and poise. We’re all nervous.”


Mia nodded, looking slightly less queasy. As they navigated through the chaotic rush towards the arena, Selena kept up a stream of cheerful small talk to distract her fretful friend. By the time they stepped into the soaring stadium, Mia’s shoulders had relaxed slightly. 


Row upon row of wooden benches circled the arena’s vast dirt floor. Selena craned her neck gazing up at the arched ceiling hundreds of feet overhead. She could already see giantesses crowded into the upper seats like a flock of colorful birds. Everyone's excited chatter echoed through the cavernous space, amplifying the electric mood.


“Selena! Mia! Up here!” 


Glancing up, Selena spotted Nina and Tiana waving them over enthusiastically. After carefully picking their way through the packed benches, she and Mia managed to squeeze in beside their friends. Selena sat with knees hugged to her chest, pulse racing. This was really happening.


“Can you believe this?” Nina gushed, practically bouncing in her seat. “We’re making history today!” 


On Mia’s other side, Tiana drummed her fingers on her knee impatiently. “When are they gonna get this show on the road?” 


As if in response, a booming voice suddenly projected from unseen speakers. “Welcome students! Please take your seats.”


A hush swiftly fell over the murmuring crowd. Heads swiveled towards the raised stage set into one curved wall of the arena. There the school administrators stood looking solemn, along with a collection of distinguished-looking alumni students, alumi was a neighboring highschool that was chosen last year. 


Principal Oswald stepped forward, his voice magically amplified. “As you all know, today is a momentous occasion for Ut Sarth Academy. The time has come to select  the student for our inter-world exchange program.”


Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter in less than a week