- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Spoiler Warning:             Action Comics#242 (July 1958)

 

“You did it!” said Batwoman, “Even from Hatwoman’s insides, while Wonder Woman held her firmly.”

 

“There’s just one SMALL problem,” said Wonder Woman, “Even I can’t work out how to reverse engineer the antidote to the shrinking procedure. How are we going to get the Challengers, Cave Carson and the Posterior Five all back to normal size?”

 

“What about one of Rip Hunter’s time machines?” suggested Black Canary, recalling what the Atom had told her about them, “Then we can see if any technology exists in the future that could help us.”

 

“Yes. He might well have gotten one working reliably now!” said Wonder Woman, “Call Rip Hunter and arrange a rendezvous.”

 

“I’ll bind Hatwoman or Catwoman in my Batrope and take her to Commissioner Gordon, “said Bat-Girl.

 

 

Soon Rip Hunter, the other three JSA women and the ten shrunken boys and men were all in the time machine. They went only a year into the future each time, quickly looking for clues to a way to restore size. In 1958, they caught a new alien android villain named Brainiac who was using a shrinking ray on the entire city of Metropolis.

 

The JSA promptly attacked, but could not penetrate his force shield, until Black Canary’s sonic cry completely broke it down. Wonder Woman punched the android to pieces, just as Batwoman snatched his shrink gun from behind. She looked at its control settings, and flipped the switch into the reverse position. First she enlarged Metropolis back to normal size, and then used the weapon to restore Cave Carson, the Posterior Five and the Challengers of the Unknown.

 

“I feel more like the Challenger of the Unclothed after that last mission,” said Ace.

 

 

Rip Hunter took them all back to their own time, not that much earlier than 1958, as it had turned out. Doiby Dickles decided that he’d had enough time in the buff. He kept his mask, but renamed himself the Pants-On Stranger, and fought crime solo in Green Lantern’s honour.

 

The JSA women held a meeting with the other four members of the Posterior Five.

 

“You do realize now, that the Psycho Pirate was manipulating the Senate, just as Hatwoman had been manipulating us, since she never really reformed?” said Batwoman.

 

“Yes, we understand now,” said Sylvester Pemberton.

 

“Yet even under her influence, we all made specific choices of which of you boys we wanted to capture and eat,” said Bat-Girl.

 

“I think each of us chose the one we found most cute,” said Black Canary, “I’m sure I would have been happy as Larry if I’d just married a civilian and settled down in a flower shop or something, but speaking for myself, I hope you boys become our boyfriends.”

 

“I suppose a Robin is the natural partner of a Canary,” said Dick Grayson.

 

“And Wonder Woman and I do go well together,” said Sylvester Pemberton, who had admired the adorable amazon for years.

 

“I do like Bat-Girl,” said Sandy.

 

“I think you’re beautiful, Batwoman,” said Jimmy.

 

“There is one thing that would sweeten the deal,” said Sylvester Pemberton, “Since we aren’t going to continue as the Posterior Four (now that we’ve all found some romantic happiness to sublimate our grief for the absent JSA men). Since Psycho Pirate’s been stopped, and the ban on mystery men has been lifted, could we join the Justice Society of America?”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Brainiac first appeared in Action Comics #242 (July 1958), exactly 15 years after Brainwave shrank the JSA in the story “The Brainwave goes Beserk” in All-Star Comics#17 (July 1943).