- Text Size +

In 1951, the United States Senate called the Justice Society of America to attend a meeting to discuss how the team could best serve the country’s needs, with World War Two now six years past.

 

Senator King For-A-Day called the meeting to order, and addressed the Justice Society.

 

“We believe that the days of mystery men should be a thing of the past. Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman and Black Canary have clearly recognizable faces,” said For-A-Day, “But Atom, Starman, Dr Mid-Nite, Wildcat, Mr Terrific, Hourman, Green Lantern, Sandman and even your honourary member Batman all hide their faces behind masks. We would ask that you expose yourselves to this committee, so that the American people may fully have your trust and you will gain theirs.”

 

“We’ve served this country for years,” said Wildcat, “You want us to expose ourselves? Alright, team, about face!”

 

With that, all of the men in the Justice Society turned their backs to the Senate Committee, dropped their tights and mooned the committee.

 

“That does it,” said For-A-Day, “All male members of the Justice Society are forbidden to operate.”

 

“With respect, Sir, we didn’t show you our male members,” said Mr Terrific, “Only our cheeks.”

 

However, the defender of rear play was not to change their minds on that day. Every member of the senate supported King For-A-Day’s decision. They placed a ban on all Mystery MEN.

 

“Fine,” said Hourman, “You won’t be hearing from us again!”

 

All of the Justice Society’s men went to their rocket ship, and flew it to the planet Uranus, where men did not wear trousers. Using Green Lantern’s ring, they all learned the entire Uranusian language in a matter of minutes. They then became the planet’s only team of super heroes.

 

“So here we are, worlds away from our home planet, all because you had to BUTT in,” said the Atom.

 

“Aw can the gabbing and let’s get to work,” said Wildcat.

 

Back on earth, Wonder Woman and Black Canary were convinced that someone had been behind the sudden betrayal of the Senate’s belief in them. Wonder Woman went undercover as Diana Prince, while Black Canary began interrogating the underworld. In time, they learned that Senator For-A-Day was really the Psycho Pirate, and that he had been manipulating the minds and emotions of the other Senators, creating paranoia about the Justice Society, in order to disband it. Yeoman Diana Prince had Psycho Pirate arrested and removed from office.

 

Yet the Justice Society men still felt that the senate had let the backside down and refused to return to earth. With no men on the team, Wonder Woman and Black Canary threw a membership drive in the mid 1950s, and recruited Batwoman and her niece Bat-Girl (alias Kathy and Betty Kane), as well as the recently reformed Catwoman, who had added a bowler hat to her outfit and renamed herself Hatwoman to divest herself of her criminal past completely.  

 

To protest the way that their mentors and other men had been driven off the planet for merely dropping their tights, Robin (Batman’s sidekick), Sandy the Golden Boy (Sandman’s sidekick), Jimmy Olsen (Superman’s best friend), Star Spangled Kid (Stripesy’s partner) and Doiby Dickles (Green Lantern’s ally) formed the Posterior Five and began operating in public with no pants. Doiby and Jimmy added masks to hide their identities. Jimmy became known as Erratic Lad. Doiby Dickles had no ready soubriquet in his mind, but the others had noted the number of times his exposed posterior had broken wind and soon dubbed him the Rude Tornado.