- Text Size +

“I’d do anything to avoid getting the suspension.”

 

“What I have in mind wouldn’t hurt at all, but you wouldn’t be able to continue on in the way you’re used to.”

 

He was curious now.

 

“How would that be?” he asked.

 

“I’ve invented a way to shrink you to tiny size.”

 

That could mean that she meant to keep him as her personal possession after doing it. That could be enjoyable. Besides, he doubted whether she was serious about having found a way to do this. Playing along with her game would be fun, and would certainly be far better than being suspended by the headmaster.

 

“That might be better,” he said, “Would you keep me with you?”

 

“That’s the part you’ll need to think about, Milo. In a way I will keep you with me. My intention would be to gobble you whole for a delicious meal.”

 

He went silent.

 

“Do you think you’d rather have the suspension after all?” she asked, after 30 seconds of silence.

 

“No, I think I’d actually like your idea more. I think you’re beautiful, Miss Waters. That’s why I behave for you.”

 

“I’m flattered. Do we have an agreement then?”

 

“Yes, Miss Waters.”

 

“Good. I’ll convince the principal you’re ready to turn over a new leaf.”

 

“And then one day I’ll be no bigger than a leaf. How much time would you want to give me as a full sized person, before you start on this?”

 

“We’ve still a few weeks until the first term holidays. We can talk about it in privacy. I want to keep this between you and me. No talking about it with other students or teachers.”

 

She kissed his cheek.

 

The next day he went to talk to her after school again.

 

“I was awake a lot thinking about things last night,” he said.

 

“Did you enjoy your thoughts?” asked Miss Waters.

 

“Yes. I’m just wondering how you would enjoy doing something like that to one of the boys in your class. It doesn’t seem like the sort of thing a caring teacher would do.”

 

“Don’t allow yourself to think that way, Milo. Once I’ve shrunken you, I will eat you all up, and I won’t have any apprehensions because of our student-teacher relationship. I have a rare appetite for doing this. Yet you agreed to it, knowing the suspension would not have such permanent affects. What motivated you to choose my plan for you over the principal’s?”

 

“It’s your mouth, Miss Waters. It’s so beautiful.”

 

“I suppose I’d like to turn around the usual protective kind aspects of being a teacher, and become like a mythical giantess, feasting on my student, knowing that I live on happily, and he doesn’t, being aware that the unfairness of the situation is working in my favour.”

 

“And you don’t feel guilty about it?”

 

“No more than you felt guilty about all the things you did to the other teachers. It will be as much fun for me, much more actually. Cats enjoy similar dealings with mice, although you needn’t fear the physical pain that the mice face. I’d like to understand more about your motives though, Milo. You told me that I’m beautiful. But I’m not really clear on how this is of any benefit to a boy being eaten. I’m not going to gobble you down for several weeks. I’d like to gain a better understanding of you before then.”