- Text Size +

“Great going. Let’s go!” he said, quietly into her ear, so that the pilot would not hear, “Head quickly past Circular Quay, cross the Harbour and make your way past all the beaches until you get to Roseville Bridge. The bushwalks in that area would take ages for the police to get to, and nobody’s likely to be on them during a weekday.”

 

“I admire your local geographic knowledge,” she said, and strode rapidly through Wynyard, Circular Quay, into the water and then began to run.

Her giant stomach was never underwater, as she ran through the harbour in no time. Two ferries had quickly steered to avoid her before she’d cleared the city area, and at her size, she reached the East Lindfield bush area and sat down in the shallow water after only fifteen minutes.

 

“That’s exhausted me all the more,” she said, “I’m so hungry now! But I’m grateful for all you’ve done for me. Let me give you another kiss before I swallow you.”

 

“I’d love that very much,” he said.

 

“I felt you leaning against my belly and giving me your little kiss before too. You’ve been very sweet to offer me a quick end to my sudden increased hunger pains.”

 

“Well I can’t function as a masked hero anymore anyway. They’ll have a Small Pints Bulletin out on me too, since I deliberately aided in your escape. At least this way, I go out in a food cause.”

 

“It’s better this way,” she said, “I wouldn’t have had the chance to tell you how fantastic you tasted before.”

 

“What do you think you’ll do after this? They’ll all be after you now.”

 

“I don’t know,” she said.

 

“If you can lie low, quite literally lie down here until nightfall, and then make your way out of the city and into the large bushy areas like Kuringai National Park, you might be able to avoid being hunted by the police indefinitely.”

 

“I guess that could work,” she said, “I just don’t know what I’ll do for food, unless any stray animals or bushwalkers come by.”

 

“Have you had kangaroo meat from the supermarket?”

 

“Yes, it’s not bad.”

 

“If you could find a way to start fires, your giant hands should be able to catch plenty of kangaroos out there easily enough. Then you just have to skin them and cook them. You could eat a whole one or more for every meal.”

 

“You’re still thinking of my needs, when I’m about to …”

 

“I want to give you as many helpful ideas as I can, since I won’t be here to help you after…”

 

“After I’ve eaten you. I almost wish I had a kangaroo on hand now, but even if I did, I just can’t forget how nice you tasted before.”

 

“I understand, and I’m ready and prepared.”

 

“Not fully prepared,” she said, “I’m sure my stomach acids will be able to digest your clothes, but there’s no need for this.”

 

She pulled off his mask and looked closely at him.