- Text Size +

The following year, 1965, the television industry had benefited from the reboot that it had needed, and other shows were being picked up as well. The network executive offered to renew the Captain Miniature Show for a second season, but felt that it needed something else to give it an edge. He felt so strongly that the character should have a kangaroo sidekick and was able to get The Romper Zoo to lend them their only trained kangaroo.

Captain Miniature refused to take on an animal partner, during a meeting between himself, Dr O’Malley and the network executive Cyril Beady Miller.

“It’s an un-Australian attitude!” said Cyril, “Shows only last when they reinvent themselves. We can’t just skip over the opportunity the Zoo’s given us. Either the kangaroo comes, or your show goes.”

“We’ll have to go then,” said Dr O’Malley, “I fully sympathize with my star here. I just don’t like the ring of Captain Miniature and Captain Marsupial.”

“I trust you won’t ROO your decision then,” said Cyril, and showed them to the door.

Later, back at Anomaly Lab, Bryce Banta asked Ann O’Malley what they were going to do. Although he was the one with the powers, as a 15 year old, he was used to looking up to the 25 year old woman who had made them possible, and always sought and respected her advice.

“The best answer is to somehow prolong your life until some future decade when censorship won’t be an issue.”

“You could put me in your freezer in suspended animation, after I’ve reduced myself,” said Bryce.

“No. It might be a bit hard to explain when I’m married with kids,” said Ann, “We could have you smuggle yourself aboard a rocket ship and freeze in the cold depths of space for several decades.”

“It won’t work,” said Bryce, “Aussies never take the space program seriously. The Americans are way ahead of us. Why not invent a globe that suspends human animation and put me inside it for a long time?”

“I don’t know of any way to do it,” said Ann.

After a few days, she finally got an idea. Ann took blood samples from the most immature people she knew, and then used radiation to modify the properties of whatever it was in their blood that stopped them from growing up, so that it would go further and physically suspend the aging process. Then she bought a coffin and took it out deep into the bush behind West Roseville University. She placed him into the coffin, injected him with enough irradiated blood to put him under for 35 years, having promised she’d come back and awaken him in the year 2000.

In 1995, he was found and awoken ahead of schedule, by a 19 year old university student named Emma Nation. She thought he was cute, and listened to his whole story. He went to find Ann as Bryce Banta’s ‘son’ Bryce Banta Jr, but her laboratory was now managed by someone else who told him that she was 55 and married. They gave him her address, when he said that his ‘father’ needed to re-establish contact with Ann. His identity card for Anomaly Lab was still recognised. He went to find Ann, who was a little surprised at his having turned up five years earlier than planned.

Ann O’Malley had learned that censorship had eased a lot in the early 1990s. She was able to re-establish him on television, and gave him the cover identity of a boy who had reached school leaving age in 1994. He began dating Emma Nation as well.

It wasn’t long before he learned that Skye Larke was now operating under the public name of Red Moll, and had used her Equal Impunity Perfume to climb to the top of a prominent Australian city based newspaper company. Having heavily influenced Sydney, and the whole of Australia with feminism using her newspaper, she had made it even easier for herself to stay at the top of her ill acquired company. She was now 45.

One night she caught him going through her office at tiny size, and prepared to make another attempt to eat him. With his mask on, she had no idea that he hadn’t aged, but did wonder why he hadn’t appeared on television or anywhere else for 30 years. She told him she had never married, and gave enough clues to indicate that she was too much of a feminist to make a relationship last that long. She was currently seeing the latest in a long line of boyfriends.