- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Not really a super team, just five villains recruited to work separately on the same job

Captain Miniature managed to use an intangibility power to escape from Red Moll, and soon confided first in Ann O’Malley and then in Emma Nation.

“I have to bring her down,” he said to Emma, “If I’d stopped her in 1965, things would be so much better here now.”

“I know,” said Emma, “I would still be able to stay at home and enjoy being a happy house wife. Now we’ve got loads of men out of work, as the feminist movement has enabled women to take most of the white collar jobs. They’re actually judging men for not having jobs now. I’m supposed to turn into that sort of woman too. I’ve seen my mother divorce my father, become fiercely independent and push away every nice guy who tries to get near her. She’s pressured me into doing the same thing, though she doesn’t know how much I’ve been inwardly resisting it, especially since I met you and learned what life was like in the ‘50s and ‘60s. Thank goodness I had the chance to pull you out of suspended animation and have you re-challenge the woman who caused all of this.”

With her new awareness of Captain Miniature’s apparent return from his 1965 retirement, Red Moll guessed that he had been in her office looking for the means to destroy her business empire. She had added the newspaper to her Innerbelly conglomerate of companies, and didn’t want Captain Miniature having the chance to get at her. She began surreptitiously hiring the local super villains to start crime waves, in order to keep Captain Miniature busy.

In the months ahead, Captain Miniature fought several of them, and brought them to justice. The first was the Puppy Master, who had found a way to control dogs after bathing them in his mind controlling Puppy Putty. The first few times he shrank, Captain Miniature only acquired powers that enabled him (at best) to battle the dogs physically. Since so many Sydney residents were completely ignoring the Dog Act’s leash laws, there were several unfenced free roaming dogs at Puppy Master’s disposal. Finally, Captain Miniature acquired the power of Canine Telepathy and was able to command the dogs to return to their homes and make no more trouble. He planted permanent hypnotic suggestions in their minds, that would override any future attempts that Puppy Master made to give them his own instructions.

The next villain to be taken on was Mortimer Guage, who had the power (although who knows how) to affect interest rates on home loans. Having set up his own dubious loan company, Mort Gage began bilking the citizens of Sydney, until Captain Miniature acquired the power of Trans-Financial Mediation, and ran Mort’s business into the ground.

The third crook in Red Moll’s employ was the Likeness Monster, a dangerous psychotic man who had the power to impersonate anyone by changing his appearance (known by 1995 as ‘morphing’). None of Captain Miniature’s tactics worked against him, until he got another dose of X-Ray vision. Though he couldn’t look through the Likeness Monster’s clothes, he could see through the camouflage power at work on his facial features. He was able to detect the man and point him out to the police.

The fourth was Albert Ross, who had the power of flight with the aid of a special back pack he’d built. When Captain Miniature got the flight power too, he was able to sabotage the device and force Albert to land.

The only other secret stooge available to Red Moll was Clarence Nette, who was able to use his brass musical instrument during his concerts at the Sydney Opera House, to somehow knock all the guests and staff unconscious for an hour, during which their money was later discovered to have gone missing. Again, Captain Miniature had to make several attempts, before an effective super power accompanied his shrinking: super deafness. With that, he was able to sneak inside Clarry Nette’s brass instrument, while the man had put it down to conduct one of his robberies, and rewire the device using Ann’s instructions, so that it fed back a signal that knocked the user out instead. He was soon taken in by the police as well.

At the end of each bout, he was able to return to normal size and the comfort of his friend and colleague Dr O’Malley, and the far more personal comfort of the lovely Emma Nation.