- Text Size +

That pool party had been a special activity on a Sunday. Five days later he went to the youth group again, and said very little to anyone all night. Eventually he went outside and sat on the back steps of the Four Ways Hall.

 

After a while, Jenny Wilmer came out and sat beside him.

“You’ve been quiet tonight, Lewis.”

“I don’t like coming any more. The girls all think I’m a midget that nobody should like.”

“That’s right, they do, but I’m starting to advertise the group more widely. There’ll be more girls to meet, and more friends like Torin. You took each other’s actions at the pool party very well, and now you’re both friends. Apart from that, I’M glad you’re coming.”

 

“But you wouldn’t want to … really like a guy my size, would you?” he asked.

“Your size is no discouragement to me,” she said, “I’m just older. I started dating someone I met at university. I have thought about you, especially the day I asked you along to the group in Swain Gardens. I chose him only because he was my age, and it was easy to see a lot of him at uni. It doesn’t mean you’re any less of a gentleman or any less handsome. You’ll find someone nice, and hopefully soon. I’ll help you if I can.”

She kissed his cheek.

It was the first time anyone had done that. How ironic that the third beautiful girl who seemed to reciprocate his feelings was both unavailable and yet the only one who had enabled him to know what the touch of a girl’s lips felt like. It would encourage him to resume a pattern of looking for the best in people which he’d all but abandoned lately.

 

And that was what Jenny had planned.

 

It soon became apparent to Jenny, that the girls who had snubbed him were attracted to guys who made a significantly negative impression on Jenny herself. Joanna Cootes brought her boyfriend to the youth group one night. At the end of the night, Jenny asked them if he’d enjoyed the youth group. His descriptive response included a four letter word. Marjorie fell for an older man who led her into behaviour, which brought on premature parenting tasks and a sudden move to another country to escape the legal ramifications if his behaviour should be brought to the attention of the police. Only Megan Murphett  had chosen a pleasant boy in the youth group who had been friendly and welcoming to Lewis at the beginning of the year, when he’d been a new member.

 

In October 1997, Jenny had organised a youth group wide games night, which would utilize both the Four Ways Hall and the grounds outside. Lewis almost didn’t attend. He thought of the fact that the night would draw more attention than ever to the disadvantages of his size on Earth Double. How could he make any impression at all, when even the year seven girls and boys could run faster and jump higher than he could?