- Text Size +

 “I just realized I’m going to have to explain this to my parents,” said Lewis, “I’ll have to truthfully say I fell backwards on the stairs, after someone slipped and bumped into me. They won’t see any reason to act on that. I can’t tell them that a girl bully from a parallel earth did the slipping and bumping on purpose.”

The rest of the night went without incident, as well as the following week’s youth group. On the Saturday evening came the formal. As soon as he’d done his homework, he raced off to Swain Gardens Single to meet Melendy, who had practiced the journey enough to come from her own world unassisted.

Lewis was taken aback by the sight of Melendy, as he walked through the gardens towards the wall, where she stood, 9 foot 10 inches tall and wearing a beautiful feminine formal dress. As he drew closer, he looked up into her eyes with unrestrained admiration.

He walked her to the station, and caught the train to his school’s suburb of Wollstonecraft, and up to the school. The couple caught a lot of attention, as Lewis introduced her to his class friends and others in year 10. As she was too tall to sit comfortably on a chair, nobody minded when she used the window ledge and helped him up to sit beside her.

In time, he invited her to dance, and felt elated at having her in his arms. He had her back at Swain Gardens Single by 10pm. The lamps lit up the pathways, and then he thought of something else.

“It’s the first time I’ve seen these gardens in either earth at night,” he said, “I’m so happy to be doing it with you.”

He stretched up, but could only kiss her forearm. Even her neck was simply out of his reach. Melendy smiled and lifted him up onto the one foot wall. He put his arms around her and managed to reach the base of her neck, and kissed it.

He still couldn’t reach her lips.

“Don’t stop. I’ve been waiting for weeks,” she said.

“I have, also. I was just thinking that your earth’s Swain Gardens wall would be just the right height for …”

“I understand,” she said, smiling with amorous intentions. He walked her over to the position in the bush and held out his hand.

“Beautiful giant young ladies first,” he said.

“And handsome young cute small boys best be quick to follow,” said Melendy with a sweet laugh.

Soon he was positioned in her arms on the two foot high (or one of Melendy’s world’s measurement of feet high) wall in Swain Gardens Double.

He looked into her face. Melendy giggled a little, at the happy realisation that he could now be in a position to kiss her in the more common way. She was still taller, but he could reach. She tilted her head downward a little. He tilted his upwards, and touched her lips. Her double sized arms were all but enveloping him.

Whatever other troubles lay ahead, whatever ridicule their relationship might still face on either world, whatever secrets might be discovered later, there would be nothing that could ever take away from the joy that they both felt at that moment.

The kiss went on for more than three minutes.

“Oh I love you so much,” she said, when they finally drew back for air, and her arms hugged him even tighter, “I can’t wait to invite you to my own year 10 formal.”

“I feel like I’ve loved you all year,” said Lewis.