- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

If you want to skip chapters 35-70, which were retooled from old stories no longer posted, THE NEW STUFF STARTS HERE (with new characters too, but many of the old will return soon enough).

The 1990s….

 

One Saturday, Henry Gray, a 12 year old student of Rural Dural Boys High, in Miss Lena Beetlenelly's class, was playing cards with his friend Ginny Burns at her house, when there came a knock at Ginny's front door.

"That will be my friend Babette. She's coming over today too" said Ginny.

She went to open the door.

"Hi Babette. Come in. This is Henry. He's 12, only a little younger than us."

"Pleased to meet you Henry" said Babette smiling politely as she sat down.

"We were playing cards" said Ginny, "Would you like to join in?"

Babette accepted, and they played several games together.

After a while Henry went to the kitchen, having asked if he could have a glass of water.

While he was out of the room, Babette said "Are you dating Henry?"

"No. We're just good friends."
"He is so handsome. Do you think you could find out if he likes me?"

"Sure. I'll ask him when you've gone home" said Ginny "However, I should warn you. I know he has a serious crush on a lady who plays chess with him on the train on the way to school in the mornings. I don't think she's aware of it or feels the same way towards him. She told him she's twenty-five."

 

*          *          *          *

 

"Henry, what did you think of Babette?" asked Ginny later.

"She was polite and friendly."

"Yes, but is she pretty enough to take your mind off that lady on the train?"

"Oh no! I'd never feel for Babette the way I feel for Rosa Ville!"

 

*          *          *          *

 

"It isn't fair" thought Babette "I simply must find out how Rosa feels about him to put my mind at rest over this. I shall follow Rosa off the train and make sure Henry doesn't see me. Ginny can tell me which train it is. I must ask Rosa Ville if she loves Henry or not."

 

*          *          *          *

 

On Monday morning Babette caught the same train, hiding up the back of the carriage watching Henry and Rosa playing chess. They were continuing the game that they had started on Friday morning, and had to postpone when the train arrived at Rosa's station.

Babette kept her hat on, so as to hide as much of her face as possible from recognition. When Rosa left the train, Babette followed her and walked beside her on the street's footpath, looking up at her.

"Excuse me Rosa."

"How did you know my name?"

"I'm Babette,  a friend of Henry's friend Ginny, and I am told by Ginny that Henry is in love with you."

"With me? Are you sure?"

"Yes. Ginny told me after Henry told her over and over again. Do you love him too?"

"He's just a highly intelligent chess partner for his age. I don't have a boyfriend, but I honestly don't see myself falling in love with a boy. I'm sorry Babette, but I may have to stop seeing your friend on the train if it only encourages these false hopes of his."