- Text Size +

"Will you be black or white?" asked Henry.

"Actually Henry, I was wondering if we could perhaps not play chess this morning" said Babette as he sat beside her earnestly looking into her eyes.

"Why not?" asked Henry shyly.

"Well it's just that we've been catching the same trains for a while now and gotten familiar with each other. I was hoping that maybe you would like to ask me to kiss you."

"Really? Rosa, I dreamed of a day like this! I would love you to kiss me. I think you are very beautiful."

She lowered her head and kissed his cheek, placing her arms around him.

 

*          *          *          *

 

For four years they dated happily, whenever they could manage to see each other alone, so that an adult lady would not have to explain to anyone why she was romancing a young boy.

 

*          *          *          *

 

One day he said "Rosa, can I postpone our date for this afternoon? I forgot I was going to a birthday party of a friend of mine who used to play cards with me."

"Sure. I understand. I guess Ginny would have invited me too if she'd known me" said Babette.

"Rosa how did you know it was Ginny? I've never mentioned her before."

"Are you sure?" asked Babette, realising that her recollection of her old friend had caused her to make a slip of the tongue.

"Yes I am sure. How do you explain it?" said Henry.

"Maybe I met her myself and she mentioned you" said Babette, and realised too late why he would not believe this. The ethics of what could be considered as lies and deception in her current situation was beginning to cause her considerable confusion.

"But you just said that Ginny didn't know you, or she would have invited you to her birthday party as well."
"I know. I cannot explain it."
"Rosa, how am I supposed to trust you if you keep a secret from me?"

"I love you. Isn't that enough?"
"Yes, but this way I will always doubt you in some things. I will not be able to fully enjoy our time together."
"Are you saying that you won't see me anymore?"

"No but I am just so confused. Why don't you trust me with the truth about how you knew it was Ginny?" he said sadly.

"Oh Henry I never meant to hurt you. I will tell you everything. You won't believe me unless we go to see your teacher Miss Beetlenelly, to show you though. She is a friend of mine."

 

*          *          *          *

 

Soon Miss Beetlenelly connected both Henry and Babette to the machine and exchanged their minds temporarily, and then swapped them back.

"There Henry. For a moment you were in this body looking back at your own" said Babette.

"It was weird. I can hardly believe it. Did you swap minds with Ginny for a while and keep some of her memory or something?"

"No. I will have to explain. Four years ago you fell in love with Rosa Ville while she played chess with you. She did not feel any romantic love for you. I met you at Ginny's house playing cards. I loved you, but Ginny told me you didn't love me. So I told Rosa about it all and did a deal with her to swap minds. I've been pretending to be Rosa ever since."
"You... You're Babette!"

"Yes, and that is how I knew Ginny. I have my original Babette memories, but I have Rosa’s adult body and skills."

"You did all that for me?"
"Yes. Are you ashamed of me?"