- Text Size +

“But if he knew his creator was more powerful, then why did he take him on?” asked Captain Miniature.”

“Lucky always ignored reality. Now he’s trying to create his own reality,” said Evan, “Lucky wasn’t human. He was given the status of head of the Winged Watchmen. He managed to persuade a third of them to join him in his rebellion against Intelly. They became Lucky’s Legions and have done their best throughout the ages to corrupt the human people of Testamentia, to turn them against the Great Designer. Over thousands of years, he has been quite successful, but Intelly sent his own son into Testamentia’s capital city to set up an early group of devoted followers who became known as The Rescued of Ever-Source. They were hunted and pursued, some of them to the death, but their loyalty to the Great Designer could not be killed.”

“But Evan, why didn’t the Great Designer simply wipe out Lucky’s Legions along with their leader?” asked Larger Woman.

“He had given his word not to interfere with freedom of choice until everyone had been given the chance to choose either loyalty to him or loyalty to Lucky Fear,” said Gelist, “The contest for the willing hearts and souls of Testamentia’s people has gone on for two millennia since the formation of the Rescued of Ever-Source. Around seventy years ago, an influential man named Malice-Star Wood allowed himself to become possessed by one of Lucky’s Legions in order to dramatically increase the manipulation of the people towards evil. He took a woman named Holly as his bride and ally, and used their new subliminal control technology and screens they set up all over the planet, to bombard the people with hypnotic images over the last seventy years.”

“Why weren’t you hypnotized?” asked Captain Miniature.

“The original members of the Rescued of Ever-Source wrote a number of letters, which were soon after published in The New Anthology of Testamentia,” said Evan Gelist, “Anyone who reads a page or so from the letters, at least once a day, will gain knowledge and teaching to enable him to resist the influence of Lucky’s Legions no matter how frequently it is funnelled into plain view from the technology of Malice-Star and Holly Wood. A few like myself resisted, and I became one of their spokesmen, gaining help from the current day Rescued of Ever-Source to set up my own screens and send messages based accurately on the New Anthology of Testamentia. It was successful for some time, to the point that it began to worry Lucky Fear. He used his legions to possess more willing participants. They formed an evil alliance against me, and drove me from the planet and pursued me here. Their ship’s sensors can only home in on the engines of mine. So I switched them off and attempted to glide my ship in, but lost control and crashed, fortunately in the soft overly abundant foliage of your institute. Now I fear that they have nonetheless traced me to your city and will try to shut me down altogether.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Just in case the master pun spotter didn't get it (because I'm getting too laissez faire with my puns), Ever-Source = Ephesus.