- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

NOTE! If you would like to see the accompanying art, go download the .PDF file I have on my DeviantART account, here http://emmagear.deviantart.com/art/Hell-or-High-Water-274484409

This version is text only. This warning will only be on this page. Either way, I hope you enjoy.

“Hey everybody looks like Tropical Storm Whitney is gonna be beating the hell out of our coastline any minute now so make sure you stay inside and keep safe with E-Z-Z-Z-Y FM! That's Ezzzy FM 105.00, I'm Mike St. Michaels, and it's time for the soothing sounds of George Michael, and that ever so Careless Whisper.”


 


The smooth sounds of sax filled the air, completely out of place as Ann sped down a dark, stormy road. The car she drove had certainly seen better days. Beat up, scratched, and all around worn down, it was a vehicle most would be embarrassed to own, much less drive.


 


Ann though, well, she was different. She was the type that would seize the moment, regardless of what it actually meant. Not one to think ahead, she bought the vehicle off a whim from a man with white powder on his upper lip for a pittance, and after spending the better part of an hour trying to start it, she managed to succeed and drive it around a bit, albeit very slowly.


 


Lots of work was needed. It's propulsion was less smooth driving, and more jerky sputtering. Still, the required work had been done. Outwardly it still looked like the literal piece of garbage it was initially, but hidden beneath the hood was an engine loud and powerful enough to frighten children. As the only outward bit of customization, she scraped off the, “REO SPEEDWAGON” decal, replacing it with a sticker saying, “FAST TURTLE”


 


And so the Fast Turtle sped down the streets this cold, blustery night. Weather conditions didn't seem to bother Ann, as she drove at speeds that would be dangerous even on clear sunny day. The near pitch-black night, heavy rains, slight fog, slick roads, and George Michael song did little to dissuade her from her decision.


 


The ocean. Ann's goal was to reach the ocean and try for some insane surfing. Hours earlier, Ann had been suffering from a headache, and hadn't been too careful in selecting her medication to relieve it. A simple mix-up in similar looking bottles, and Ann had taken two of what her roommate would only refer to as, “Goofballs”. They took effect quickly, and convinced Ann to gather her things together before she drove out of the town of Densmore, in which she resided, and to the shoreline.


 


The Fast Turtle drove sloppily through the wet sand, having reached the beach, and did not stop until it was partially submerged in the water. A leg popped out of the car, not through an open door, but the driver-side window. Ann had attempted a Dukes of Hazzard-style exit from her car, but found it was much more difficult to jump out of a car feet first, than it was to dropkick your way inside.


 


It took more than a minute, but Ann finally managed to escape her car, and crashed on the cold, wet sand with a soft thump. The bitter cold and harsh winds visible once outside the car would lead a normal person to have second thoughts about what they were about to do. To Ann's, “medicated” eyes however, the sun shone brightly overhead, while a rosy cheeked cloud blew wind in every direction happily.


 


Wind whipped around the water's edge violently, bringing with it dangerous looking waves that were washing over the hood of the Fast Turtle. Lightning flashed constantly, rain fell at an incredible rate, and the low rumble of thunder seemed to never fully disappear.


 


Still, Ann paid it no mind, her focus on the surfboard attached to the top of the Fast Turtle. Her excitement reached new levels as she yanked it back roughly, finally dislodging it, losing her balance in the process, and falling into the sand once more. She lay back, holding the surfboard in her arms, and smiled at the clear blue sky as a beautiful rainbow arced overhead.


 


The storm continued its path of destruction onward, leaving Ann on the sand to mutter about rainbows in the dark. Had the storm been any more severe Ann could have been in serious danger right there, lying on the sand, but she paid the world around her no mind.


 


With a happy shout, she flipped back up onto two feet, and gulped the salty air deeply through her green colored lips. Holding her hand up to her forehead, she shielded her eyes from the sun she was imagining, and looked out over the clear ocean. Despite the powerful winds, her complementing lime green hair managed to stay tied, save for some bangs she let flop onto her face. Patting her bare stomach off, she was glad she thought ahead to wearing a light tank top that she had cut the bottom half off of to stay cool. The deep blue tank top matched her pants and boots, though she quickly kicked those off, paying no mind to where they landed as she made her way to the clear glassy water.


 


Horrific waves, almost seeming violent in their disposition, pelted Ann and her board, making their attempts at keeping her out of the water clear. Unfortunately, Ann was far beyond the point of caring what a few puny waves thought of her, and she redoubled, then tripled her efforts at making it out into the churning water.


 


After paddling for what seemed like hours, Ann felt she had to stop suddenly. Rubbing her eyes, she looked straight ahead, blinking a few times to be sure she wasn't seeing things.


 


It definitely wasn't her imagination. In her quest for the perfect wave, she had found something way better. Perfect waves can come by anytime, the massive, floating, Twinkie that bobbed about was definitely a once in a lifetime moment. The yellow sponge cake floated about invitingly, begging Ann to bite into it's perfect form.


 


Catus Carnivale, a luxury cruise liner for the rich and well-off, was slowly making its way to the port in Densmore where the passengers would unload. Weather conditions had caused the crew to order all the passengers into their room and off the outdoor decks, where the massive swells could potentially be dangerous. No one on the outdoor decks meant nobody able to notice the slack jawed stare of a young woman, miles away from land, floating in the water. She didn't seem to mind the incredible danger she was in, and only continued to stare at the ship as it moved slowly through the angrily swishing water.


 


Much to her dismay, Ann felt some strange forces begin to push her in random directions to and from her new obsession. Scores of happily swimming dolphins were playing nearby, making waves that tossed her around. Never one to care for sea life, Ann slid off her surfboard, before focusing all her strength into her arms, and pushing it towards the chirping dolphins.


 


The surfboard floated through the water ineffectually before a tremendous wave sent it back the direction it came, and right for the floating girl.


 


Ann's eyes widened as the dolphin's sensed her plan, and a particularly mean looking one slapped her board with its tail, sending it flying back at her.


 


The wave came crashing down, taking with it Ann and her surfboard. Though she fought it with all her ability, the swell had been powerful enough to send her careening into the cruise ship. Still not viewing it as any danger, Ann opened her mouth wide, hoping to get a bite of the golden cake, before she was plunged below the surface again.


 


It was no contest. Ann's head was smashed into the side of the ship powerfully, and though her inebriated mind dulled the pain, she lost consciousness in an instant. The violent motion of the waves sent her unconscious body in a different direction, as the ship continued to slowly move to Densmore.