- Text Size +

After the three teams of contestants had somehow managed to get from Lilliput to the Amazon Jungle in the time space of a commercial break (bringing with them the three Lilliputian grooms who had married Brenda, Daisy and Taffy), Don Messick announced the event for the second half of the Laff-A-Lympics.

 

“We’re back, sports fans. In a previous episode, we were holding an event at the Killawhoever Falls, when one of the Daltons was caught by a giant Amazon woman, who picked up the Daltons’ boat. So now we’re back with today’s event, which is a contest to see who can capture the giantess first. For the Yogi Yahooeys, we have team captain Yogi Bear. For the Rottens, Dread Baron, and for the Scooby Doobies, Tinker, and now they’re off. The contestants are splitting up and heading off in different directions …. And it looks like Yogi Bear is the first to find the giant woman, who is treating him like a teddy bear. Tinker and Dread Baron have heard Yogi’s protests and zeroed in on the noise. Dread Baron has tried to trip the giantess by shoving his hat onto one of her big toes. This has been unsuccessful, but now Tinker has taken out some special handcuffs he designed himself. He’s climbing a tall tree and jumping onto the giantess’s shoulder. It’s amazing folks. He’s sliding down the giantess’s arm and waiting for her hands to be close together, while she strokes Yogi Bear with one hand and holds him with the other. Now he’s snapping the cuffs on, and now he’s jumped off and slid down her dress to her ankles. He’s pulling out a second pair of expanding handcuffs and cuffing the giantess’s ankles together. She’s down, and Yogi and Dread Baron are running for cover. It’s a clear 25 point win for the Scoobys, and … wait, what are you doing now, Tinker?”

 

“I’m taking my cues from the Lilliputian boys and proposing to the giantess.”

 

“You’re really rather cute,” said the giantess, “But I’m not going to leave my jungle. Would you be prepared to live here with me?”

 

“Well I joined the Scooby Doobies after Mark went off with Debbie, and there aren’t going to be any more episodes of Laff-A-Lympics planned until 2012,” said Tinker, “So I’d love to stay here and live with you.”

 

“Then I accept your proposal,” said the giantess.

 

So Tinker and the giantess got married too. He used Speed Buggy to keep up with her, whenever she was moving fast with her giant size. Taffy and Bunco returned to Lilliput, where Taffy became the Lilliputians new giant guardian, replacing Gary Gulliver who’d left with Lori years earlier.

 

Daisy Mayhem and Glump moved in together, as did Brenda and Eggar.

 

As Bunco and Inch High Private Eye finished their account of all these events from 1969 to 1979, Space Ghost listened with fascination.

 

“Well what a story,” said Space Ghost, “We’ll see you both later, and now it’s time for a shameless plug for next week’s episode, when our guest will be…”

 

“Hold it there, interloper!” came a voice.

 

“Who was that?” asked Moltar.

 

“Sounded strangely familiar,” said Zorak.

 

“And so I should,” came the voice from off-stage.

 

From the same direction came a blast that hit Space Ghost and somehow changed the colour of his costume. It was now a mixture of blue and grey. Then onto the stage stepped a man who could be a dead ringer for Space Ghost, wearing a costume identical to the one Space Ghost had worn just before it was hit by the strange blast.

 

“Now that my splatter ray has washed that dye off your costume, you can stand and face the real Space Ghost,” said the newcomer, “And as for Moltar and Zorak, did you two really think that I’d retire from saving the universe and start a lame talk show, that largely wasted its guest stars on trivial rarely funny dialogue, and hire two of my worst enemies from the Council of Doom as my production staff? How many of your viewers actually believed it?”

 

“Then who is that guy we’ve been working for since 1994?” asked Zorak.

 

“I was attacked by an evil alternate version of myself from a parallel universe named Space Spectre, who teamed up with five of the parallel earth’s super villains from 1980 (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin and Aquaman calling themselves the Super Enemies) in order to subdue me,” said Space Ghost, “After he stole the time machine that Jace built once, he took it back to his own universe, enlisted the Super Enemies with it, came to capture me and imprison me in his universe and then dyed his costume like mine, time travelled to 1994 and started an infantile talk show. I was finally freed by the Superfriends from this universe and then helped them capture the Super Enemies and hand them over to the authorities in their time and universe. Now I’m back to put an end to this late night comedic farce, using the counterparts of the same allies you used to capture me before.”

 

(Space Spectre was introduced in the Space Stars episode “Space Spectre” in 1981. The Super Enemies were introduced in the World’s Greatest Superfriends episode “Universe of Evil” in 1980).

 

Suddenly, the real Space Ghost was joined by Firestorm, Green Lantern, Superman and Flash. Firestorm knocked out Space Spectre’s Inviso-belt. The Flash confiscated his power bands at super speed. Superman subdued him and Green Lantern imprisoned him in an energy bubble from his power ring.

 

“Well, you have your time machine back too, Space Ghost,” said Green Lantern, “We can take Space Spectre back to his own universe and then return to our rightful time and place.”

 

“And can I apologise to the Superfriends, on behalf of my impersonator, for the way Batman was satirized in Space Spectre’s first season Batmantis episode,” said Space Ghost, “that evil impersonator kept bringing back tapes of Space Ghost Coast to Coast to a VCR and TV in the room where he held me, and forcing me to watch what he’d done to my good name. He even tried to get Harvey Birdman to give up his super hero role and start a show of his own too in 1997. Harvey couldn’t get his old job back at Internation Security, but he managed to continue fighting injustice as a lawyer.”

 

“Batman won’t hold it against you,” said Superman, “We’ll be off then.”

 

“I declare this show cancelled,” said Space Ghost, “But since Moltar and Zorak have been refraining from trying to take over the universe during the years of this show’s run, I’ll give them an amnesty for now.”

 

“There is one thing I’ve been wondering about the Laff-A-Lympics that Bunco and Inch High just told us about,” said Moltar, “How did Jabberjaw get from 2062 back to the late 1970s to guest star in a few episodes of the Laff-A-Lympics?”

 

“That’s a mystery worth solving,” said Space Ghost, “I think I’ll use Jace’s time machine (that the Superfriends recovered from Space Spectre) and go to 2062 and find out.”

 

Space Ghost soon reached Atlantis in the year 2062. Aquaman was long dead, and a visiting band called the Neptunes were playing a rock concert. Space Ghost waited for the show to finish and then introduced himself to the band: Biff, Shelly, Bubbles and Clamhead. It turned out that they had once clashed with one of Zorak’s descendants.

 

“So what I really came to find out was how did Jabberjaw get from 2062 to the 1970s Laff-A-Lympics?” asked Space Ghost.

 

“That’s easy,” said Jabberjaw, “Woowoowoowoo! Professor Thorstein managed to perfect his time machine, after we recovered it from the Sculpin. He let me use it a number of times, I’m going back to 2020 to visit Sealab next.”  (See Jabberjaw episode “No Helpin’ the Sculpin.”)

 

“I’d like to take a trip with you,” said Space Ghost, “I’ve got my own time machine, but I’m not sure how well it would function underwater. I left it on land.”

 

So they started off, but the time machine froze and would not leave 2062. Consulting Professor Thorstein, Jabberjaw learned that Space Ghost’s power bands were somehow upsetting the power source of the time machine. The Professor worked out that it would not be a problem if the power bands were much smaller.

 

Using the reverse setting of the growth ray that the Neptunes confiscated from the Phantom (in the episode “Help, Help, it’s the Phantom Kelp”), they shrank Space Ghost and took him in the time machine back to 2021, where Sealab had been operating for a year. They met Captain Mike Murphy, Dr Paul Williams, Hal, Ed Thomas, his mother Mrs Thomas, Gail, Bobby Murphy, Sparks , Sally, and Wilbur Campbell.


The Neptunes performed a guest concert of futuristic rock music, and the Sealab people enjoyed meeting the shrunken Space Ghost. Eventually Space Ghost and the Neptunes returned to 2062. Then they restored Space Ghost’s size, and he made his way back to land, and used his own time machine to return to his own time.

 

There was one thing he still wanted to know. In a parallel universe, where there were counterparts of a number of super heroes, what would be in place of Sealab? He loaded Jace’s time machine aboard the Phantom Cruiser and headed into the parallel universe. Then he time travelled back to 2021 and went down to the location of Sealab. There was an identical looking underwater city there, and he soon met an identical looking Captain Howling Mad Murphy, who was hosting a radio free show. There were counterparts of the Sealab crew from his own universe; in this case named Stormy, Quinn, Debbie and others.

 

He stood all that he could of their company before he left.

 

“They seem as whacky as that talk show my counterpart made,” thought Space Ghost, “Debbie and Quinn fornicate frequently. Murphy swears all the time, and their adventures seem to be the most outrageous of experiences. I suppose they wouldn’t be out of place with everything else that goes on in this universe. It’s time to get back to my own universe.”