- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Where most of the gentle material lies is in this chapter.
In the lab on Great Fox, the mechanic has just finished the diagnostic tests on the crystal pieces.

“Okay, finished.” Slippy looks at the monitor. “What have we got here?” On the screen is pages of data. “Fox knows I’m no lab tech.” He starts reading. “Maybe I should’ve got Dad’s help on this…”

The Arwing specialist examines the screen closely. It takes him a few minutes to conclude the purpose of the material but he is relatively sure after analysis.

“Strange stuff.” Slippy says to himself. “It gives off energy and almost reads like it’s alive. Wonder where she got this?”

The resident technology expert runs the composition through a database of known substances. Watching it check against the criteria for more than a million things the toad is intrigued.

“Whatever it is, it isn’t common.” He shakes his head, tiredly. “But that means the search’ll take forever.” Leaving the powerful mainframe to its work Slippy goes to take a break.
*********************************************************

Back in the cave Fox has just finished listening to Krystal’s explanation of the situation. Now he’s in a state of disbelief.

“So, you’re telling me that you’re…turning into something?” Fox starts.

“Not just anything, the Aparoid Queen!” Krystal says imperatively, causing her listener to cover his ears. “Sorry…” She quiets down some.

“Which is long dead?” The tan fox continues.

“I’m telling you she’s here and she wants to take over! She’s inside my mind…I don’t know what to do.”

“And now you’re going to become her and try to take over the Lylat system? All from touching that little rock?” Fox looks like he wants to laugh but just cannot. After all, it’s not funny.

Krystal does not have a reply to that. She looks irritated and snorts. “You don’t believe me?”

“No, it isn’t that.” The boss replies quickly. “I mean, it is unbelievable and all but what am I supposed to say? It’s a lot to dump on a guy at one time.”

“Oh…”

“Now, back to something a little more pressing…I’m freezing!” Fox bursts out as a gust billows into the cave.

“Let me help with that.” Krystal says, scooping up the team leader in both hands and embracing him. “Better?”

Fox, reflexively kicking air as he’s hoisted, doesn’t reply at first. Nevertheless, as he touches her warm skin and the forcefield comes around him he sighs. “Yeah, thanks.”

Krystal giggles. “Ooh, you’re like a fuzzy ice cube. That’s no good.”

“Just don’t let go and I’ll be fine.” Her passenger mumbles.

“How are we going to finish the mission? With you tied to me?”

“That isn’t a bad idea…”

“So now you want me to carry you?” The telepath seems amused.

“Unless you plan on fixing that climate thing you broke. The way I see it, you kinda have to carry me since it’s your fault.”

She smirks at his declaration. “Well, you don’t weigh that much now. I suppose I could help…you’ll have to hang on though.”

Fox wraps his arms around Krystal’s neck, not an easy task given the new size of his partner and hangs on tight. As she stands up, he swings a bit from side to side like an oversized pendant until she presses a hand to his back to steady him. Even though he feels amply supported, he can’t help but check his altimeter after taking a glance down.

“Whoa! I’m over twenty feet up!” He realizes. “I’ll just…” He tightens his grip on her collar area. “Can’t be too careful…”

“I won’t let you fall.” The telepath giggles again. “So you don’t have to choke me…” She steps out into the storm with one arm around Fox and her midsection and starts walking.

“Sure beats a cockpit chair any day of the week.” Fox thinks, pressed into her pillowy chest. “This is what comfort is...” He exhales into the warm, violet skin of her neck. “Yeah…”

“Is that so?” Krystal says, seemingly out of nowhere. “Well, I would like you to know that comfort costs.”

“Huh?” Team leader is confused a second. “Hey, don’t pry!”

“I wasn’t trying to. I guess my powers may have increased a bit.”

“Oh, okay.”

“But, as long as we’re on the subject, I’m asking for more of the profits this time. Since I’m doing all the work of course.”

“…I see…”

“It’s only fair. You get carried while I stumble through the storm. The more I do the more I deserve, right?”

“She catches on quick.” Fox thinks. “And me with no bargaining chips. This makes things more difficult.”

“Quite true.” Krystal says with a smile. “I’m a fast learner.”

“But-hey!”

“Sorry. I don’t mean to…” The telepath is immediately contrite. “I know it’s rude.”

“It’s not that bad.” He replies. “Just startling. I’m not used to that.”

“It’s hard to tell if you’re thinking or saying things now.” She admits. “I guess you don’t mind.”

“I don’t mi- never mind.” Fox clams up.

She giggles. “I can’t help it.”
*********************************************************

On Great Fox in Arwing Slip no. 2, one pilot is re-detailing his ship. Again.

“Okay, let’s get started.” Falco climbs up the ladder. “Now that I could actually afford some decent paint for a change I’ll make you beautiful.”

The Ace starts working and all you can hear is the sound of a paintbrush. It’s like this for a while.

“I don’t know if we need four pilots on at the same time.” Falco says to himself. “Too many allies are liabilities, like with the Katina Defense Force and Bill’s team. He used to have waay too many people.”

He dips the brush back into the paint and stops to think. He almost forgets he is busy doing on a ladder something before starting again.

“Wolf flies with only three members now and they get things done. And well, though I wouldn’t tell him that. But he dropped Pigma because he wasn’t trustworthy and the worst pilot to boot. Who would we drop on this team?”

He climbs down to the floor and changes paintbrushes and colors. Now he brandishes a blue brush for trim work before climbing the ladder again.

“It’s Fox’s team and I’m the Ace so that leaves Slippy and Krystal. Slip’s our mechanic but he’s an all right pilot now. Krystal’s new and not so good yet but she needs time. It wouldn’t be fair to drop the lady yet even though she’s a serious drag in the field sometimes.”

The bird takes painstaking care around the Star Fox Team emblem and pauses. He’s in deep thought.

“Whether I like it or not, she’s one of us. Some missions we don’t need four pilots but there’s no reason to have only three mission ready members. It’s where our strength is.”

“Hey!” Somebody yells into the hanger. “Falco, you down there?”

“Yeah; what do you want, Slippy?”

“If you keep coating her with paint she’ll start slowing up on you!” The mechanic laughs.

“You need somethin’?” The A-1 aviator insists.

“Peppy’s got an announcement.” Slippy explains. “When Fox and Krystal report back he’ll tell us.”

“Knowing them, that’ll be awhile.”

“Yeah, just thought you’d wanna know.” The toad exits.

“Back to what I was doing…” The masterpiece creation continues.
*********************************************************

On Fichina it’s slow progress. Faster than before but slow, nonetheless.

“Man, is that snow deep.” Fox considers. “I can’t imagine foundering through that. I’d be in past my knees.”

“And falling in it if my memory serves me right.” Krystal replies aloud as a reminder she’s still listening in on his thoughts. “It’s not much past my ankles so I suppose you’re in luck.”

“We’re making better time than I thought.” Fox says, ignoring her comment. “We’ll be in sight of the weather installation pretty soon.”

“The sooner we get there, the sooner we’re done here.” Krystal affirms. “Not too long now.”

“Which is good because I’m-”

“-getting cold?” The telepath finishes. “I don’t suppose Slippy’s ingenious device was made for this much area. It’s probably giving out.” She wraps her other arm around her passenger. “I can’t have you freezing though.”

Fox, now firmly imprinted into the warm chest of his caretaker, says nothing. He’s content not to be numb from the sub-zero cold. “Thank goodness for something.” He thinks. “The wind-chill may be something else but I think it’s worth it this time…”

Krystal smirks, poking around in his head. “I guess he likes it.” She notes to herself. “And why not? For work in a blizzard conditions couldn’t be better. Travel on the softest cushions and warmest place on the planet according to him. Call me the veritable lap of luxury.” She sighs. “Enjoy it while it lasts.”

The target comes into view. Krystal steps up her pace, eager to get out of the snowstorm. But the sentry bots and guard systems make themselves known. Nothing is ever simple on a mission.

“Fox, hold on tight!” Krystal calls out, casting a barrier spell. “We’ve got company!”

“Understood!” Fox replies, instantly alert. He puts a vice grip around her neck as she turns a sideways somersault and draws her staff.

Krystal knocks out the cannons mounted on the building with a couple of quick shots. The more mobile enemies take a bit more time to pick off but it’s happening. With only two more to go she whirls to face them staff at the ready only for Fox to sway with her motion and be caught by a gust of wind and flung free of her.

“Wha-oh!” The airborne fox yells. “Aaaaahhh-” But his death cry is cut short as he’s stopped mid-flight. The dangling safety line around his waist found a second use and pulls tight around him to yank him back to Krystal. “…” He’s badly winded from the sudden aerial maneuver and wind-chill factor has bested him again and he blacks out with no fanfare.

“Always getting into trouble…” Krystal says to her unconscious friend, dropping her weapon. He curls into a ball at her touch as she wraps her hands around him and ducks down to avoid more attacks. “This is no good…” Reinforcements are not shy about advancing on her position and her shield charm is failing. “I have to do something or you’ll…” Coming to a conclusion as her protective screen comes down the telepath takes advantage of the increased décolletage of her attire and places the commanding officer down her suit front between her breasts. It’s a perfect fit, leaving him snugly wedged against her midsection. “Ooo, you’re positively frigid already.” She thinks fretfully. “I had better hurry this up.”

That realization spurs her to action and ground bound enemies are hit with the force of a Quake attack from her reclaimed staff. The rest are treated to an impromptu fireworks show of flame shots as she brings them down.

“Now that the hard part’s all done all I have to do is get inside.” Krystal moves to one of the square building’s doors. “I’m way too tall to walk in there. If I remember right I should be able to get in the top…” She climbs atop the roof. “…but it’s sealed with a forcefield to keep the snow out. Darn it!”

The towering vixen clambers back down clumsily. Checking her surroundings again reveals nothing new. She doesn’t see another way.

“I’ll have to crawl inside.” Krystal says, making her mind up. “I don’t know if I can but I don’t have much time.” She looks down at Fox, nestled in her now sizable cleavage. “I know he can’t last much longer out here. I’ll have to try.” She gets down on her hands and knees awkwardly. “I’m glad there’s no one around to see this.”

Now, bent down as low as she can get the oversize team member tries to squeeze inside the facility. What follows is a trick that any illusionist could appreciate facilitated by a mixture of finesse and force.

“Alright, I’ll just slide through.” Krystal gets her head and shoulders in with no problem. “Now, forward. Oh!” She gasps as easing ahead compresses her chest between her arms. “Fox!” She thinks frantically. “But I have to get through!” She moves onward, praying she isn’t crushing or suffocating him. “He seems alright.” The telepath decides with a quick mind scan of her occupant. “He’s dreaming.”

The corridor offers its share of resistance but yields as she makes her way through. Deep indentations are made by her hands and knees as she moves on. “Fichina can bill me.” She thinks sarcastically as her behind pushes up the ceiling every step of the way. Knocking the flimsy, at current, door aside she bursts into the control room with a gasp. “It was too narrow to breathe in there!” Warping the former access gate to fit back in its threshold she sits up and decides to check up on her partner. Conveniently enough he decides to wake up at this point though.

“Where am I?” Fox wonders hazily, amusing his savior. “What happened? I dreamt I was squeezed between-never mind.” He tries to clear his mind and remember.

“Should I tell him now or let him figure it out?” Krystal ruminates, juggling alternatives. “I’ll just wait.” She decides, not speaking. “It’ll be more fun.”

“Krystal!” Fox calls. But the sound reverberates off his mysterious prison very closely. “It’s somewhere tightly enclosed, I don’t think she can hear me.” He realizes.

Actually she had heard. It was all she could do to keep from laughing and giving herself away listening to his muffled voice through her outfit. “He’d never guess…” Her unintentional tabs on his thoughts verify her suspicions as he appears to remain confused.

“I know I passed out during the storm.” Fox recalls. “Now, it’s all warm and comfortable. Did I land in intensive care? How long have I been out?”

“It’s not quite expert medical attention but I’m glad you’re comfortable.” That is worth her smile spreading a bit wider. “I wonder if you’ll be so relaxed when you find out.” She contemplates idly with an impish grin.

“Why is it so dark in here? I can’t figure anything out with no light. And now it’s hot in here too; can somebody open a window? Anybody?”

Krystal’s bottom lip starts to quiver in anticipation and she bites it reflexively. “An outburst now would completely ruin the surprise.” She reminds herself. “I want to see the look on his face. It’ll be priceless.”

“I’m going to stifle in here, who turned the heat up so high?” Fox demands. “I’m getting out of here.”

Sitting perfectly stationary the vixen can hardly contain herself by now. It is bizarre anguish to keep still as Fox tries to escape the confines of her battle uniform. Each pinch that serves as a hand hold causes her a sharp intake of breath while each tickle that serves as a foot hold threatens to get her into a laughing fit. Covering her mouth with one hand and holding her glowing staff with the other she watches his progress.

“What the heck is this? It shouldn’t be this hard to get out of bed. What the heck am I wrapped in?” Fox starts to worry. “Is it a body cast? It’s way too tight on me.” He gets head and shoulders into open air. “Why is it purple?”

Krystal giggles. “Because it’s not a body cast. It’s me.”

“What?” Fox looks up at her face. “But-” He looks down around him. “This is-” She nods. “I-I-” He starts to stammer.

“Well, I thought you were going to die of hypothermia out there.” His comrade says by way of explanation. “I didn’t have much choice or time. But I can say I thought you would just die of embarrassment once you found out. So if you must…” She smiles playfully. “I really am quite sorry.” She chortles softly.

“I was here…this whole time?” Fox asks, turning pale.

“Yes, it was quite entertaining.” Krystal replies. “I do suppose I had little to worry about. You were actually quite hot if what you said was to be believed.”

“You heard what I said?”

“Every word. I assumed that I met your requirements for first class travel here on Fichina. You may disembark at your leisure.” Krystal says in her best flight attendant impression. “Thank you for traveling with Telepath Transportation Services.” She gives him an award winning smile.

Fox looks around again and he’s still engulfed up to his armpits betwixt her breasts and uniform. Pressing down on the pliable, soft skin goes nowhere and makes her giggle while just attempting heightens his discomfiture to a point where the roar of blood rushing in his ears is near deafening. “I-” He reaches a hand upward, hopefully.

Krystal shakes her head. “Go on; you got this far.” She’s grinning from ear to ear now. “You can do it.”

Completely taken aback, Fox is stunned. Having fully expected to be hoisted from his predicament he is not prepared to extricate himself. Once again realizing his location he is tempted to take her up on her offer and expire on the spot due to the sheer mortification. But, taking initiative, he decides to finish what he started. Grasping the neckline of the battle garment and kicking with his feet he is able to propel himself over the now exaggerated V cut and into the waiting hands below.

“Once again thank you for your patronage and choosing the Telepath Transportation Service. We hope you will choose us in the future.”
*********************************************************

On Great Fox everyone is gathered on the bridge.

“We haven’t heard from Fox and Krystal yet.” Peppy says. “I wonder if something’s wrong.”

“What’s taking them so long?” Slippy adds. “This isn’t normal. It doesn’t take that much time.”

“It does if you’re playing kissy face the whole way.” Falco says with a grin. “I bet that’s what it is.”

Slippy looks sidelong at the star aviator while the retired rabbit shrugs. The room isn’t quiet for long, though. They’ve got a transmission.

“It’s from Fichina!” Peppy says, putting it through.

“Fox here.” The screen clicks on and hisses some, the reception isn’t the best. “We’ve made it to the weather control installation.”

“Good!” Peppy replies. “Any problems to report?”

“Um…there were several.” Fox replies unsteadily, looking off-screen. “I’ve got something important to tell you, also.”

“Which is?” Falco asks.

“It’s best said in person, believe me.”

“What kind of problems did you have?” Slippy inquires. “Everything work okay?”

“No. Those personal climate control things stopped working. Plus my radio wouldn’t work.”

“With the snow and wind at record highs the signal from your communicator wouldn’t get through.” The engineer concurs. “It’s little better than a transistor radio wave frequency. What I want to know is how you got through the storm if your climate control devices stopped working. The both of you should be ice sculptures by now.”

“Krystal…was able to help me.” Fox replies, looking off-screen again.

“Where is she, by the way?” Peppy asks. “Is she alright?”

“Well, she seems to be.” The leader replies slowly gazing at that spot off camera again. “Say something and let the rest of the team know you’re alright.”

“I’m doing fine.” Krystal says. “Just don’t feel like walking over to the communicator right now is all.”

“That’s good to hear.” The old hare says, relieved. “I was worried.”

“Right…and one more thing guys.” Fox adds as an afterthought.

“What’s that, boss?”

“When you come down to get us bring down Great Fox could you?”

“What? Why?” Slippy is immediately suspicious.

“Because I think it’s required at this point.” The leader replies staring off camera. “Definitely.”

“You know that takes a while, right Fox?” Peppy reminds him. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m positive. Trust me on this.”

“If you insist, we’ll land the ship when the storm clears.”

“Affirmative. Fox out.”
*********************************************************

Back down on the ice planet Fox has just ended the transmission.

“I guess they’ll bring down Great Fox when we’re done here.” He says. “You’re a tad tall for an Arwing don’t you think?”

“Perhaps.” Krystal concurs. “There probably isn’t enough head room anymore. A shame.”

“Yeah.” Looking around Fox notes the damaged door. “How did you get in here?” He asks, giving it some thought. “There’s no way you could’ve…”

“Oh, there is. I thought the same thing until I did it.”

“You’re kidding. You fitting through there is blatantly impossible.”

“You can go look if you like.” Krystal laughs softly. “I did a little renovation. Everyone needs equal access here, don’t you agree?”

Fox waltzes on over and squeezes between the makeshift sheet of steel functioning as a door. After a good, long look (which lingers on the terribly misshapen ceiling) he comes to one conclusion. “That’ll cost a fortune.”

“I’m sure.” Krystal nods.

“It’s your fault you know.” The leader tells her. “Trying to finagle your bubble butt in here, you should know better.” He chuckles. “There are some places it just can’t go.”

The voluptuous vixen grins back. “I did manage to get it in here though. I guess I can take this place off that list.”

“How am I going to explain this to the Fichina counsel?”

“I’ll handle that, don’t you worry.” Krystal replies. “You just figure out how to fix the computer.”

“Right.” Fox starts trying to input commands into the console. “But the system’s locked me out. I know I’ve got the correct clearance codes. I’ll have to reboot the thing all over again.” He retrieves the boot disk from his pocket.

“No, don’t…” A faint voice says.

“Stop.” Krystal commands.

“I know it takes a while to reinitialize but it’s got to be done. The sooner I do it the sooner it’ll be back to working right.” Fox reminds. “It’s all I can do.”

“There’s something else at work here.” The telepath insists.

“What are you talking about?”

Krystal pays him no further heed and walks across the room to the main terminal. Lightly pushing Fox aside, who is completely clueless, she removes an access panel to the machine and reaches inside with a hand the size of a cookie sheet. “It was you, wasn’t it?” She whispers, withdrawing her hand. A small aparoid is perched atop it.

“An aparoid!” Fox exclaims, drawing his blaster. “Krystal that thing’s dangerous! Put it down!” His command falls on deaf ears though.

“Yes.” The weak voice replies. “I am lucky you can hear me. I shall alert the others. We shall come for you, my Queen.”

“Drop the aparoid!”

“What?” Krystal is surprised. “I’m not-hey!” The mechanical insect explodes as Fox hits it with a charge shot. She glares at him angrily.

“It was just an aparoid…” Fox looks uncomfortable all of the sudden.

“He’s right, what do I have to be angry about?” The telepath remembers. “What came over me? Unless…”

“I’ll just run the system re-launch now, if that’s okay with you.” The boss says slowly. “The sooner it starts, the sooner it’s done.”

“You shouldn’t have to, anymore.” Krystal states. “That aparoid was the reason you were locked out. It was logged on and giving faulty commands. Try it again.”

“Okay…” Fox doesn’t seem to buy it but doesn’t want to bother her so he tries anyway. The system comes up with him giving commands as normal. In seconds the storm dies out. “You were right. How did you know?”

“What am I supposed to say?” Krystal wonders idly. “It told me? I couldn’t understand aparoids this well before, what am I becoming?”

You know the answer to that.

“No! You get out of my mind!”

Only a matter of time, now…

“Krystal!” Fox yells. “Can you hear me?”

“Huh? Yes, Fox.” She replies, shaking her head to clear it.

“Like you zoned out for a moment there…do you remember how you figured that out?”

“…just a feeling I had.” Krystal shrugs noncommittally. “It may have been luck.”

“Oh. It was a good call though. You just saved us a lot of time.” Fox sits down. “Now, we wait.”

This gives them both some needed time to think. The day’s events are more than a little unusual.

“It’s like I don’t know myself anymore.” Krystal ponders. “Is it really going to take over me? I don’t want- can’t let that happen but how can I stop it? For an instant I actually wanted to destroy Fox. How can that be?” She pauses for a moment and considers it. “It can’t be.”

Fox is on a similar wavelength, worrying about his teammate. “Krystal’s been really distant. Something’s always on her mind. Being a telepath must be really hard.” He contemplates. “If it’s about what she told me before then I don’t know. I don’t know how to stop her, reverse it and I refuse to hurt her.” He looks up at his massive female friend. “She’s too pretty to hurt anyway. I like her way too much to do that.” He shakes his head. “I just don’t have the heart. So I guess we’ll have to wait and see.” He sighs. “Now if I could only think of an excuse for her to hold me again…” Hands encircle his midsection before he completes the thought. “…?”

“You don’t need an excuse for that.” Krystal whispers, picking him up. “I’ll do it anytime you want.” She hugs him tight. “As long as you like, I promise.” She punctuates her last statement with a kiss to the top of his head.
*********************************************************

On Great Fox the entire crew has just landed the massive vessel.

“We brought her down just like he asked.” Peppy says. “I wonder what for, though.”

“I’ve got a lot of questions for him myself.” Slippy mentions. “Just wait until he gets here.”

“Um, no.” Falco says decisively. “I’m asking now. Might as well, since we’re here.” He activates his headset. “Falco to Fox, come in.” He pauses. “Why did we have to land this thing, again?” He listens for a couple of seconds. “Alright, but this had better be good.” He disconnects.

“What did he say?” Peppy asks.

“What’s the big idea?” Slippy demands. “There had better be a good reason I had to go through all the trouble of landing this thing.”

“He didn’t exactly say.” Falco replies. “He just said ‘come outside’.

Donning equipment appropriate to the weather the rest of the team disembarks from their home vessel. Fox meets them out in the snow.

“Well, we landed her like you wanted.” Peppy says. “Mind telling us why?”

“Ah…” Fox begins.

“This should be good.” Falco chuckles.

“I’ve got to hear this one.” Slippy agrees.

Team leader sighs. “…just follow me.” He heads back inside the building. His team proceeds after him warily.

“What’s all this about?” The Ace asks, keeping pace.

“You’ll see.” The squadron leader walks into the control room.

“Oh really?” The raptor is close behind. “You’re right, I do understand.”

“I certainly don’t hear a lot of commotion.” Peppy calls, walking at a leisurely pace. “Was landing and coming down here necessary?” He walks in. “Well, that’s something you don’t see every day.”

“An understatement if I ever heard one.” Falco affirms. “I’ll admit it was worth the trouble.”

“I’ll be the judge of that!” Slippy yells, having lagged pretty far behind over layering himself with winter clothes. “Whatever you’re talking about had better merit me landing Great Fox, finding my winter coat, and walking all the way here wearing all this.” He pants. “In the cold, no less.”

“Trust me, Slip. It is.” The bird shakes his head. “I can’t believe this.”

“Believe what?” The mechanic finally arrives. “I don’t see- hachi machi!” His amphibian eyeballs nearly fall off his head.

Krystal smiles shyly down at them from her sitting position against the wall. “Hello to you too, Slippy.”

The sound of her voice triggers the moment of initial shock. The mouths of the parties present drop open in synch and brains start processing. Their captain just waits, having already been through it. “Best explained in person, as I said before.” He thinks to himself.

“Can’t call you doll anymore, that’s for sure.” Falco thinks.

“This sure does trump my announcement.” Peppy chuckles inwardly.

“I shall not doubt Fox again.” Slippy reflects in awe.

Krystal continues smiling. Their thoughts actually were a bit funny to her. She was on the verge of replying when hit with another wave of cognition from her companions. The telepath decides to stop and wait her turn.

“She probably won’t be flying anymore.” Falco considers.

“How are we supposed to support her?” Peppy wonders.

“Where will she sleep?” Slippy queries of himself.

The psychic’s grin fades a bit. “We can find a way, right?” She thinks hopefully. But now she has doubts. Pragmatism has done its work. She is less than happy.

Fox picks up on her apprehension immediately. “Krystal-” But his words are no match for the speed of the mind.

“Which isn’t a bad thing really.” Falco concludes. “Definitely dead weight a lot of the time anyway.”

“The whole operation won’t last too much longer like this.” The old hare closes his eyes and shakes his head silently.

“There’s no way we’ll be able to find accommodations for her! There isn’t a place she’ll fit and be comfortable! Slippy exclaims in his head. “She’ll ruin everything!”

You have a place with my family. They’ll take care of you.

“-are you alright?” Fox finishes.

“No!” Krystal interjects.

“What’s wrong?”

“Just leave! All of you!” She stands and gestures toward the exit. “I don’t want to hear anymore!”

“But we didn’t say anything…” Peppy says slowly.

“Out!” The room shudders with the force of her shout as she stares down at them, more than a bit miffed.

“If that’s what you want, doll.” Falco says, backing away. “You don’t have to tell me twice.” Everyone else files out behind him.

“You, stay.” She calls to Fox, who was last in the procession.

He stops. “I’m here for you.”

“I know.”

“What happened?” Fox asks, turning around.

“It was their thoughts. They were so mean…I can’t help it.” Krystal almost wants to cry. “They-”

“Shh. It’s okay.” He is fast by her side. “Calm down.” He strokes her consolingly.

“How will I eat? Where? I can’t even help-”

“Don’t worry. It’ll be okay.” Fox says softly. Suddenly he’s yanked from the floor.

“Really? But how?” The enormous flustered girl persists, constricting her confidant.

“I’ll take care of it. I promise.” His fur becomes wet with her tears. “I won’t let anything happen to you.”

“You don’t know what that means to me right now.” She squeezes him tight. “I-”

“Hush.” Fox commands kindly. “I’ll take care of everything.” He says again, gasping a bit as her embrace becomes tighter than comfort allows. “It’s okay.”

So for a while he consoles her. All the way up to when his outfit is soaked through with salt water and she’s done sobbing. Most of it is done in silence as she pops in and out of his mind sporadically. She explores it through and through unintentionally. The link between them so deep that for the time being there was no need for words and his presence alone was enough to ground her. They were content to remain that way until it was time to depart.

True to his word, Fox took care of it. He made space in the bottom hold below the Arwing hangars that would serve as a temporary place to sleep. He arranged for a visit to Corneria the very next day for food and drink as well as appointments with the best medical professionals in the Lylat system. After accomplishing all this he has one more thing to do and that’s explain it all to her.

“Krystal, I’ve got good news.” Fox calls, entering her provisional quarters. “I called in a few favors and-” A familiar tingling occurs between his ears. “-I wanted to tell you myself.” He finishes with a wry half-smile.

The telepath smiles wanly back at him, leaning on a wall of the storage area, and shrugs. “I’m sorry. But I so love good news.” She sighs. “I can’t thank you enough for all of this.”

“You don’t have to. A captain’s duty is to his crew.”

“Still…”

“Never mind it.” He looks around. “Making yourself at home?” He says, noting the arrangement of things. He had brought down all the extra bed setting and pillows he could find and they were neatly arranged in the center of the room. Several heavy boxes of parts had been moved as well to make more space and her staff was leaning against the doorway glowing warmly and giving the place a more personal look. “Good job.”

“I may as well, right?”

The boss nods and looks at his watch. “You’d better rest up. You’ve got a lot to do tomorrow so you’ll be up early.” He says curtly.

“Yes, sir.” Krystal replies softly. “Good night, Fox.” She stretches out on her makeshift bed composed of all the extra linen on Great Fox and closes her eyes. “

“Good night.”
*********************************************************

On the bridge the remainder of Star Fox is assembled.

“Tomorrow we make the trip to Corneria.” Fox says. “Anyone have any remarks?”

“So, you’ll let me off there?” Peppy asks. “I decided to take a job as tactician for the General. I talked it over with these two earlier and they think they can manage without me for a little bit. Is it alright with you?”

Fox contemplates a moment. “Well if you’re up to it then go. We could use the extra money.” He looks around. “Anything else?”

“Well…” Slippy begins slowly.

“How did the lab results go on the pieces of that rock?” Fox interrupts. “That’s been bothering me.”

“I still don’t have a match to its composition, the tests are inconclusive.” The technician replies. “But I had a question…”

“Okay. What is it?”

“I was wondering…” The toad hedges. “…never mind. It’s not-”

“What Slippy over there wants to know is what you are doing about the doll in the hold.” Falco says without preamble. “I’m curious too; is she staying, going, what?”

“Tomorrow, we go get her something to eat and visit some specialists.” The leader replies. “We’re getting to the bottom of this.”

“That’s all well and good but how much is this gonna cost? She’s probably got a healthy appetite and doctors ain’t cheap.”

“No, they are not.” Fox turns to his advisor. “Peppy, let’s take a look at the numbers you ran.”

“After we called everybody we knew we found some experts who would take this job.” The hare starts. “Since we’ve done favors for them in the past they’ll give us both food and service at a discount.” The video screen pops on. “The first row is projected medical costs and the second is for food. The last line is totals of the first two with tax added in.”

“The last line is what we’re looking to pay?” Falco asks, just to be sure.

“Yep.”

The expert flyboy looks at the screen and figures. He starts counting on his digits then stops. “This is at a discount?”

“Yes.”

“I’m not seeing it.”

“I don’t think we have that kind of money to spare.” Slippy adds. “We don’t make that much…”

“Yes, we do.” Fox insists. “We just have to try.”

“Not unless you plan on selling her Arwing for this!” The bird screeches. “You must be nuts!”

“That’s exactly the kind of attitude we don’t need. Pipe down.” Fox commands.

“You can’t be serious! These numbers are for one day? You didn’t make that much saving Sauria!”

“Keep it down. She doesn’t need all this negativity.”

“Doesn’t need? What doesn’t she need? She’s needs every penny anybody’s got around here and doesn’t want to hear it? That’s rich!”

“Be quiet!”

“I’d have to sell my copyright to the Landmaster tank for that kind of cash…” Slippy mumbles. “…and I could still be short.”

“She’s one of us!”

“We could buy an actual pilot for this kind of money!”

“Falco…” Fox seethes.

“Oh, I’m sorry, did I offend you?” Falco asks in a proper falsetto voice. “Is Krystal listening? Are her feelings hurt? Well I can think what I damn well please!” The Ace turns to leave. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go see if I can sell my extra cans of paint for something to contribute to the cause.” He storms out.

“What am I supposed to do? Nothing?!” Fox demands.

“I don’t know. But one option is way cheaper than the other.” Slippy says, shaking his head. “Beakhead’s got one thing right; we’re in deep.” He leaves.

“We’ll just have to see how it pans out tomorrow.” Peppy states. “Stay positive, Fox.”

“Right.” He sighs. “I’ll do what I can.” They both depart for their quarters.
*********************************************************

Below the hangar Krystal is quite upset. She was privy to the entirety of the loud exchange on the bridge thanks to her increased powers and is in tears again.

“It’s that expensive?” The vixen is taken aback. “Maybe Falco’s right; I should just quit so they could get a real pilot in here that’s not such a burden…” She wipes her eyes. “Even Peppy and Slippy don’t know what to do; only Fox thinks I’m worth keeping around. He always sticks up for me…but even he was surprised at what it all came to.”

The lights go dim, leaving Krystal in the semi darkness. She lies down on the crude excuse for a bed and continues thinking morosely.

“Fox didn’t find out until Peppy told him.” The telepath realizes. “He must not have wanted me to know when he came to tell me. He even tried to keep Falco quiet so I wouldn’t worry…but he can’t protect me from everything.” She sighs. “And he’s trying so hard too. I don’t feel worth the trouble.” She closes her eyes. “Some way something has to happen tomorrow…” She mumbles, falling asleep with the staff fading out. Soon enough she’s dreaming.

Now Krystal is on Sauria, sitting on a hill watching a sunset. Fox is beside her, holding one of her fingers. “I’ve been meaning to make him do this…” She thinks to herself. “We hardly spend any time alone together.”

Her would-be boyfriend is just sitting there. He looks like he’s got something to say but doesn’t speak. Krystal has to resist probing his mind even though curiosity is really badgering her and it’s quite difficult. Though one thing she can pick up on without prying is that he’s happy to be there with her. He squeezes her hand and she can almost actually feel his grip tighten.

“He’s so shy. It doesn’t take much to embarrass him.” She considers. “Especially when it’s just the two of us. I won’t push him.” She decides, not picking him up though the urge has made itself known.

It looks like Fox has gathered his resolve. He turns to her and their eyes meet. This time she’s sure he’s going to say something. He closes his eyes and sighs. “Krystal…” She gazes all the more intently down at him. “I-what in the world?”

From out of nowhere comes an aparoid. It scampers about behind Fox and comes right at her. Then another comes from out of the sky. It drops down nearby. Followed by two more that come from behind her and stand. In no time at all the entire place is teeming with them.

“…?” Krystal is puzzled. Before she can question it the scenery changes. “What…”

“Aparoids!” Fox yells, drawing his blaster.

…we’ve come for you…

…follow us…


“Sound the alarm!” Fox bellows into his communicator. “We’re under attack!” He starts firing on the enemies.

“Fox! What’s the big deal?” Comes over his headset. “I’m trying to sleep!” Falco says grumpily.

“We’ve been infiltrated! I need help!”

Krystal simply watches it all unfold. Soon Slippy, Falco, and Peppy are all on the scene. She gazes down at them with a strange sense of detachment. “What is all this? This dream doesn’t make sense…” She thinks to herself. “Those voices…”

…it’s all for you…

…we’ll save you…


“Slippy! Where are the weapons?” Fox shouts.

“The armory’s locked!” The mechanic yelps. “We’ve been hacked, I can’t open it!”

“What kind of crap is that?” Falco demands. “We can’t win this with just blasters!”

“There can’t be this many left!” Peppy claims. “Even if we didn’t take care of them all! How’d they get in here?”

“It doesn’t matter; we’ve got to get them out of here!” The leader replies. “Now!”

“That’s Fox for you, strong no matter what.” Krystal thinks absently, delving into his thoughts.

“Whatever they came for they’re not getting it. I don’t care- Krystal stand back!”

The telepath steps back a couple paces, she had wandered towards the combat by mistake. Though it didn’t seem important since neither side seemed interested in attacking her. “I can’t even help them now…” True enough the place wasn’t really tall enough to stand in, much less wield her staff. “I’m useless.” She concludes, watching the heated battle at her feet.

…we adore you…

“Krystal, get down would you?” The Ace requests. “I can’t shoot through ya!” She nods and crouches but his thoughts aren’t lost on her. “Such a drag, just like always.” The bird notes to himself. “Like a darn anchor. Holding me back, in my way…”

…we admire you…

“We’ve got to regroup!” Slippy interjects. “Move towards me so we can stand together!” She nods dumbly and approaches. His apprehension at her movement in his direction is apparent and she peruses his brain as well. “We might not be able to win this. If we knew what they wanted we could surrender it if it wasn’t too vital…” The toad cogitates.

“They want me…” The purple fox reflects. “Maybe I should give up…”

…you’re everything to us…

“Slippy, go blow down the armory door with these mines!” Peppy commands, once they huddle. “It’s our only chance!” While inside his mind he’s already considered the likely endings. “If this doesn’t work we’re done for. We’re not going to last…there’s too many of them.”

“I don’t want them to get hurt because of me…” Krystal thinks, sadly. “They can’t win.” The battle’s pitch reaches a new high and her allies are pushed even further back. Shelter is starting to minimize from the intense firefight and their barrier devices are failing. “It has to stop.”

…we need you…

“I should just go.”

…we need you…

“They need me…”

“Krystal!” Fox yells, seeing her step over them all toward the enemy. “Krystal, wait!”

“It’s okay. You’ll be here when I wake up, right?” The enormous girl asks.

“Stop! Don’t you see? You are awake!”

Krystal pays ignores him and climbs up into the hangar via a brand new entrance she just had the pleasure of making with her bare hands. “If it will end this, I’ll do it.” She walks over to her slip. A large, pod shaped craft is there behind her Arwing. It opens on her approach.”

…come with us…

“Krystal, don’t go!” Fox screams flying through the hole in the floor with his jet pack. “Please!” He runs toward her.

“Don’t worry; it’s for the best…” She says, holding him back with one hand while boarding the ship. His thoughts drift towards her as the hatch closes.

“Nononononononono…”

“It’s better this way…” The craft takes off and the dream fades away.
*********************************************************

In the morning on the bridge of Great Fox Star Fox is gathered.

“So, tell me again what happened last night?” Falco asks. “I’m missing something.”

“I went down to check on Krystal in the hold. I thought she was crying so I went. I sat with her a while and held her hand-”

“Ooo, isn’t that sweet?”

“Shut your beak.” Slippy interrupts.

“-until the aparoids came. I saw one and sounded the alarm. By the time I’d raised you all the place had already been overrun.”

“When I got there I saw that we’d been hacked.” Slippy says. “The armory was locked and I couldn’t open it and the Arwing slips were locked. Only Krystal’s was open and I couldn’t close it back. That’s how they got in.”

“By the time we started fighting we’d already almost lost.” Peppy adds. “When I sent Slippy for the weapons I was about sure it wouldn’t make a difference.”

“When I finally blew the armory door they had gone.” Slippy mentions. “A waste of a good door.”

“Krystal went with them. She climbed into the hanger and left in a strange ship they had docked there.” Fox concludes. “There was nothing I could do.”

“There was nothing anybody coulda did.” Falco reminds. “Was it me or was she acting kind of strange?” All parties nod. “Thought it was just me.”

“They must’ve wanted her.” Slippy deduces. “She was their objective; when they got her they pulled back.”

“Wonder why that was?” Peppy muses. “Must need her for something.”

“I’ll bet it’s tied to dollface’s growth spurt.” Falco assumes.

Fox sighs. “You’re all right. I’ve got something else to tell you that you should know. And we may be too late…”