- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it took a while...I forgot to update. This is where a pivotal change takes place in the tale here.
Chapter 3: Never Say Never

Meanwhile, in her personal one passenger pod, Krystal is waking up.

“That was a strange dream…” She says to herself. “Ugh, it was so- where is everyone?” The telepath mentally sweeps the area then opens her eyes. “Where am I? It’s almost like…oh no…what have I done?”

You have decided to become one with me.

“No, I would never…” Krystal shudders with revulsion.

A good choice; my family will care for you well.

“Impossible…” However, the surrounding aparoid thought patterns do not lie. The passing stars through the dome of her ship clearly illustrate travel of great speed also. “Unless that dream…”

A pivotal point of progress. Soon, there will be no turning back…

“…wasn’t simply a dream.”

We will go back to where it began to find the last pieces. Then you will be able to take the final step.

“No…” Krystal moans as the ship continues into the blackness.
***


On Great Fox, the leader of the team has explained the stakes. The gravity of the situation has sunk in and the entire crew is more than a bit surprised.

“…so dollface is gonna go mega mecha bug queen on us?” Falco queries. “This just gets better and better.”

“That explains what was happening to her.” Slippy confirms. “The results on that rock were that it was a piece of the Aparoid Queen used to power one of those generators. Between all the close combat with the aparoids and her extended telepathic link with the queen in the missions before I guess there was something left of that consciousness inside her mind. Enough to have some pretty serious side effects when brought into contact with that stone.”

“It took a while but it’s trying to absorb and control her like it did me.” Peppy remembers. “Like back on the Aparoid Homeworld.”

“But we destroyed the queen already. So with no body to be in she needs a vessel.” Fox finishes. “And she picked Krystal.”

“So what are we supposed to do?” Falco asks. “Because I won’t…” He shakes his head. “She’s one of us.”

Fox nods. “Yeah. Well, I don’t know what to do. That’s it. This isn’t any ordinary enemy so I’m stumped.”

“I’ll call Dad.” Slippy volunteers. “He’s the aparoid expert.”

“If anybody knows, it’d be Beltino.” Peppy agrees. “Since I’m going down to Corneria I’ll tell the General. You all keep me informed about what goes on around here, okay?”

“Right.” Fox replies. “Keep out of trouble.” The old hare nods and walks off to the hanger.

“So, what now?” The Ace wonders. “Where do we start if we don’t know where she is?”

“I’ve already tried her headset tracer and attempts at transmission.” Slippy lists. “The ship she’s in doesn’t come up on radar and didn’t leave a trail to pursue because it jumped to hyperspace after that. I can’t even run a trajectory map to follow her because the instruments went wacky when they boarded us. So I guess we wait.”

“Maybe not.” Fox says slowly. “I have an idea. I think she’s on Sauria.”

“Based on what?” Falco is suspicious. “Are you psychic too?”

“No, but last night right before the battle…” The leader trails off. “You wouldn’t understand.”

“Understand what? You might as well take a dart and throw it at a map of the system! Why don’t we just go where it lands?”

“We don’t have anything else to go on.” Slippy reiterates. “Do you have any ideas?” He asks, putting the bird on the spot.

“No…”

“Rob, set a course for Sauria.” The boss commands.

“It doesn’t make sense! Now we’re on a wild goose chase?”

“I hope not.” Fox sighs.

“You don’t know!” Falco restates. “She could be anywhere in the whole galaxy, you don’t know!”

“We’ve got a transmission!” Slippy interjects. “It’s from Sauria!”

“Put it through.”

The screen pops on. The crown prince of the Earthwalkers is displayed. “Fox, are you there?”

“You’ve reached Star Fox Team.” Falco replies, grinning in spite of the situation. “Can we help you?”

“You guys have got to come quick! Krystal is here and she’s huge! She’s tearing the hills apart looking for something. Aparoids are here too! Mom told me to call you guys as quick as possible.”

“We’re on the way, Tricky.” Fox replies. “Just hold tight. We’ll be there, soon.”

“Okay and hurry up!” The screen goes blank.

“Step on it, Rob.”
***


On Dinosaur Planet Krystal is ransacking the countryside looking for more debris. Most of the natives have retreated by this time, leaving her and her minions to their search.

“I can’t stop myself.” The violet vixen laments. “I’m not in control!”

I am, and soon I’ll have the galaxy.

“Why are you making me do this?”

Because only you can support my life. For it to be perfect, I need my children all around me. They give me power.

“The generators!” Krystal realizes. “You’ll duplicate them and create an army!”

All I need are the pieces to one and I will take everything else I want.

“I won’t-”

You do not have a choice.

Krystal sees the truth in that, a passenger in her own body. She has all but lost hope until she feels a familiar presence nearby. “Fox won’t let you!”

He will be taken care of in due time as well. His efforts will prove futile.

“Krystal, stop!” Fox calls, confronting her and blocking her path. “We can help you!”

“You cannot.” The queen replies with Krystal’s voice. “You are too late.”

“No, it’s not! Let us help; we can fix it! We just need time!”

“You cannot.” She repeats monotone. “There is nothing you can do. I am what I am.” The exceedingly statuesque lady continues in her search.

“You shouldn’t do this. I’ll…have to stop you if you won’t of your own will.”

“Will you stop me?” The possessed titaness laughs. “You cannot.” She stands to her full twenty-five foot height. “I’d like to see you try.”

“I will if I have to…” Fox advances, blaster drawn.

“No, you won’t. Even if you could, you would not. You can no more harm this body than destroy a comrade.”

“You don’t know that.”

“I do. Her powers are mine and I can see into your mind as one may a window, little man.”

“…!”

“Your blaster is set to stun and your little friends are hidden close by ready to assist but even you doubt you’ll bring me down. Yet you still possess the foolish hope.”

“I’ve got to.” Fox takes a deep breath.

“Then you will be destroyed.”

Krystal is appalled at the ease the words slipped off her traitorous tongue. “I, but-why can’t I stop it?” She screams to herself as the queen starts to attack her best friend. But Fox is wily and he jumps over the first sweeping staff strike and counters with some blaster shots. They hit her arms and shoulders, leaving slight singe marks on her lilac colored skin. “I can’t…”

“You’ll need more than that.” The queen taunts, unfazed. “And you know it.”

“Slippy, can I get a hand?” Fox yells over his headset.

“Affirmative, Fox.” The mechanic replies, unenthused from the cockpit of a Landmaster.

“Come on, you know the plan!” Team leader implores. “Work with me!”

The toad sighs. “Here we go.” He charges the beam cannon on the tank. “I hope you’re right…” He fires on that which would be Krystal.

“Clever, Fox.” The queen says, putting up the staff force shield. “Now that you’re in here with me what now?”

He does not reply and avoids being kicked by her shuffling feet while implementing the next part of his plan. Aiming high, he shoots for her eyes and face. This blinds his enormous adversary for an instant as her eyes close and she loses concentration. The shield comes down. “Falco, your turn!”

“Alright, but you’re really too close…” The top pilot hedges as he makes a pass overhead in his Arwing.

“Do it now!”

“…you’ve got it.” Falco releases a bomb nearby and the blast causes a large flash and a lot of noise and shrapnel. “This is some plan.” He thinks, looking at the dust cloud below.

In all the smoke and din Fox makes his move. “One full-charge stun blast should do it.” He thinks, carefully circling his immense quarry. “All I have to do is land it at close enough range…” He tightens his radius around her slowly while she flails about, perplexed. “…and be careful.”

“What is all this?” The gargantuan girl staggers about trying to catch her balance. “I’ve fallen into his trap…” She looks around but is rewarded with soot in her eyes. “I can’t see!” She stumbles and falls over.

Krystal, riding shotgun during the whole ordeal, actually smiles inwardly listening to the queen complain. “Telepathy isn’t pinpoint you know.” She laughs.

On the ground, Fox has just found a good angle to shoot from. “All I have to do is fire now…” He charges the blaster and aims for her head. “I can’t…” He looks at her magnified form with her eyes tightly shut struggling to find hand holds to get up without pressing her hands and feet into the ground. “It’s-” He stops as a flailing hand broadsides him. “Gahh!” Bolts of white hot pain lance up and down his side as he takes a brief stint in flight and lands heavily several feet away. “That wasn’t in the plan…” Trying to get up is a failed exercise. “I think I broke something…”

His adversary finally is able to stand erect again and rubs her beautiful eyes, shaking off her disorientation quickly. Finding her intrepid foe prone on the ground, she closes the distance with a few steps to stare down at him. Placing her hands on her knees, she smiles gleefully. Doing his best to roll over he manages to meet her gaze. She giggles at the pitiful act before taunting him.

“I warned you.” His tormentor says in that sweet, familiar voice. “It really is hopeless. I do not see what you tried to accomplish. You can’t stop me.”

“I wanted my teammate back.” Fox wheezes painfully. “A captain does what he must for his crew.”

“A pity too. It almost worked.” The queen admits. “But you small beings are so fragile…” The violet vixen taps his nose and giggles again. “One simple touch left you like this. Your resolve is admirable. It is almost a shame to destroy you.”

“No!” Slippy yells, firing off Landmaster cannon bursts. “You can’t!”

“Predictable.” The queen says derisively. The blasts head her way but she deflects them effortlessly and one finds its way back to its origin and knocks the turret out. “Back to breaking you…” She says with a smile, readdressing her opponent. “Any last words?”

“Krystal…” The battered pilot coughs. “I know you’re in there, somewhere. You can do it.”

“But I can’t.” Krystal moans mentally. “I’m trying so hard…”

“Don’t let it take over!”

“A touching, yet meaningless gesture.” The queen says flatly. “She can no more stop me than you can.” The villainess raises a foot over his face. “This is the end of you.” Judgment comes down.

“No…” The psychological prisoner is in shock. “You can’t, I won’t!” Every fiber in her being balks. The foot above Fox suddenly stops. It won’t go any further. She’s frozen mid-step.

“This cannot be.” The queen whispers in disbelief. “I am in control here…”

“Fox!” Falco interjects. “I have a shot!”

“Don’t.” Fox winces. “It’s not worth it.”

“But you’re about done for down there…”

“Don’t, I said no!”

The aparoid mother looks doubtful. She certainly cannot crush him, having tried and failed. Towering over Fox like a vengeful goddess it still doesn’t look good for him. Slippy’s climbed out of the Landmaster to approach the pair and Falco is circling above, as ordered. It’s a strange stalemate.

“This body will not do that.” The queen realizes. “Not yet.” She looks to the west where her minions have completed the part collection. “But it’s not a total loss. It’s good they have finished.” She starts to walk away.

“Leaving…so soon?” Fox calls after his enormous girlfriend.

“Consider yourself lucky, Fox.” She calls, glancing back over her shoulder. “It won’t happen again.” She walks around the base of a mountain and disappears.

“It isn’t over yet…” Fox thinks to himself.
***


On Great Fox the leader is in the medical exam room.

“Now you know I’m not a doctor.” Slippy says again.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” Fox brushes the comment off. “What’s wrong?”

“Well, it looks like you fractured a rib and got some contusions.” The mechanic looks at the test results again. “You didn’t get a concussion, since you’re hard-headed so…you should be alright.”

“That’s it?” Fox hops off the exam table. “OW!”

“That and you should wear this.” The ‘doctor’ says belatedly. “It’s a back brace. It’ll hold your ribcage from bouncing too much. Take it easy the rest of the day.”

“I’ll do what I have to.” He dons the orthopedic equipment. “We’ve got more important things to worry about.”

“Just don’t kill yourself. I can’t do much for you here.”

A few minutes later the remnants of the Star Fox team are gathered on the bridge.

“You alright over there, Fox?” Falco asks. “You don’t look so hot.”

“I’m fine.” He snaps in return. “It’s not that serious.”

“Well we are in serious trouble!” Falco retorts. “There ain’t no doubts there!”

“Yeah, we’re gonna have to deal with it sooner or later though.” Fox sighs.

“I’m all for that I guess.” Slippy concurs. “But what are we supposed to do? We don’t know where she is.”

“That’s nothing new.” Falco adds. “Her reading us like books is a new gag though. That’s a big problem.”

“One at a time, one at a time.” Fox shakes his head. “I’m thinking.” So then quiet is had on the bridge. The leader of the trio is racking his brain for an epiphany but one doesn’t seem forthcoming. He looks up at them and is about to shrug when the monitor chimes.

“Cornerian transmission.” Slippy says. “Probably Peppy.” He puts it through.

“Hey, team.” Peppy says cheerily. “Now, I heard about what happened on Sauria today-”

“That we got our tails kicked?” Falco scoffs.

“-and I’ve got just the person to solve the problem here with me!” The hare yanks someone into view. “Say something Beltino.”

The guest of honor looks at the crew of Star Fox and scratches his head. “Ah, yes.” He says, recalling something. “You called, Slippy?”

“Yeah, uh dad?” The youngest pilot begins. “We’ve got a problem; see one of my friends is being controlled by the aparoids…”

“Indeed. Peppy was telling me something about that. Quite strange really. I was certain they had all been destroyed.”

“Well they must not have been so what do we do?” Fox snaps. “This is serious!”

“About that, we will first need to isolate the problem. The structure of your friend, Krystal has been altered. Possibly at the base level of genetic code-”

“Skip the science lesson, dad.” Slippy requests. “Please?”

“Okay but I have to say this much. From what I understand of your friend’s race they do not grow to be as tall as I was told she is now. That is the fault of the Aparoid Queen. She is changing Krystal’s structure to suit her needs. Forcing her to evolve into something similar to what the queen used to be.”

“We’ve got that much already.” Falco says. “She’s gonna go mega mecha bug queen on us; how do we stop it?”

“By removing the queen’s influence from Krystal’s body.”

“How are we supposed to do that?” Fox asks. “I didn’t come up with much.”

“The million dollar question.” The scientist replies. “Let me explain.”

“Here we go…” Slippy sounds exasperated.

“Quiet dear boy. This is important.”

“Not everyone has a biology degree-”

“The queen exists as a parasite.” Beltino begins, ignoring his son. “It helps her host to survive. In adverse conditions it makes the organism more able to adapt. Just as she was able to deal with your stun blaster shots she will be completely unaffected by them in the future. The queen before was able to breathe in space, subsist off solar energy, and highly resistant to physical damage. As long as the queen can exist with Krystal she too can become exactly like that.”

“So how do we remove this parasite?” Fox asks, following the presentation.

“The host and parasite relationship in this circumstance is symbiotic. The host is more able to survive and the parasite feeds off the host. We have to break this mutually beneficial bond by making the host/parasite connection unstable.”

“Which is done, how?”

“By causing the connected cells to die through a process called apoptosis. It’s similar to the way we stopped the queen before.”

“Won’t that…hurt her?” Fox asks slowly.

“Yes, that is a distinct possibility.” Beltino admits. “Her dependence on the queen’s presence may be greater than suspected and the consequences could be even more dire.”

“I’m not losing Krystal.” The formation leader is adamant.

“You don’t have much choice.” The researcher sighs. “If you decide against it there won’t be any hope for her. The parasite will have taken over completely should you even tarry too long. Then, there will be nothing left of her to save.”

“Then we have no other option.” Fox looks to his teammates who nod. “Can you make us a cure?”

“It will take some time. I have to reconfigure the old solution to Krystal’s body chemistry but I warn you it will only work once. Otherwise she’ll evolve and…” Beltino shrugs. “Anything else?”

“Yeah. She’s in our heads like a catchy song, picking our brains like there’s no tomorrow.” Falco mentions. “Can you fix that?”

“No, that is not my specialty. But Slippy might be able to. If you excuse me, I have work to do.” The renowned biologist walks off screen.

“That was informative.” Peppy says. “Keep me posted.” The transmission ends and the room is hushed in the absence of Beltino’s lecture.

“…so how much of that did you catch, Fox?” The Ace asks. “I missed the whole symbiotic connection thing.”

“I got most of it…” Fox replies. “…it’s not good.”

“Okay, so what now?”

“First things first. Repair our equipment and ask the resident genius to create something that blocks telepathy.”

“That’s a tall order.” The engineer complains. “Between fixing the Landmaster I’ll probably end up giving ya tin foil hats.” He chuckles.

“Whatever works.” Falco shrugs.

“I’ll see.” Slippy turns to Fox. “What comes after that?”

“We wait.” The leader says. “We don’t know her location and today was hard for all of us. Let’s start again tomorrow.”
***


Out in space Krystal is traveling. From within her pod she watches familiar planets pass by helpless to even blink.

“I went too far…” The imprisoned girl thinks. “But I couldn’t stop myself.”

There is no turning back anymore. You are a part of my family now.

“…”

You may as well give up. A part of you wants this anyway.

“I never asked for this!” Krystal rejoins hotly. “Never anything remotely like this!”

A family and the strength to protect it? That is all you have ever wanted. Do not try to lie to me.

“But not like this. I-”

Your feelings for the enemy are not important. They will destroy you if they have to, you should be prepared to do the same.

“You’re wrong!” Krystal proclaims desperately. “They wouldn’t just turn on me!”

Tell that to the broken form of your friend.

Krystal doesn’t respond. The image of Fox sprawled out on the ground reappears and silences her. There isn’t much argument as to what she’s done. “…”

Don’t keep trying to fight me. If you do, you’ll lose everything.

“I’d rather do exactly that than become what you are.” The purple passenger says derisively. “Make no mistake.”

You don’t have the family you lost. The allies you’ve betrayed have turned their backs. My family will always be here.

“That is an offer I will never accept.”

Never say never.
***


Fox is alone in his quarters preparing for bed. Lying down gingerly, as one side of him is quite sore, he stares at the ceiling.

“She gave in.” The captain realizes. “She wasn’t strong enough to beat it and she let go. I can’t believe it…”

“There is nothing more you can do.” He remembers her saying. “I am what I am.”

“But that’s wrong.” He mumbles. “I know she’s still in there. She wouldn’t let the queen finish me off.”

“It really is hopeless. You can’t stop me.” The vision of her looming over him is still fresh. He shudders at the cold smile she’d given him a second time.

“I may not be able to stop her but there is still hope! Krystal’s still fighting!” He shakes his head. “I can’t give up. But how do I win this battle without losing her?” The paradox sits in the air, like an ultimatum unanswered. The lone occupant of the room sighs into the stillness and closes his eyes.

“Consider yourself lucky, it won’t happen again.” The memory of the total scorn in her eyes chills him to the soul even now, in the safety of Great Fox.

“I don’t have much time to figure it out, either…” He contemplates grimly, drifting off. “…because if I don’t soon, it’ll be too late.”
***


Early in the morning at an outpost on Katina a guard is making his rounds. The sun is just rising in the east, heralded by the first rays of dawn.

“Ah, beautiful.” The soldier says. “I love first patrol.” He spends a moment looking at the horizon. “This is why I never switch shifts with- what is that?” He takes a second look through binoculars. “Enemy attack!” He runs and pulls one of the overused alert levers. “Post three to central command, do you read?” The guard yells into his radio.

“Copy that, post three.” His radio crackles. “We read loud and clear, what’s the alarm status?”

“Red alert! Full frontal assault approaching!”

“Roger. Prepare defensive measures. The KDF are en route.”

“Confirmed, post three out.” He looks back at the skyline, filling with enemies. “I don’t know if that’s going to be enough…” A wave of hostiles that doesn’t seem to be ending advances steadily on the fortification. “It’s too early for this…”
***


On Corneria General Pepper has just spoken with Katina Central Command. He has also roused his tactician to discuss the matter before him and they are now sitting in the war room.

“Peppy, I’ve received word of an attack on Katina outpost #1657FA.” The general starts. “Central Command believes the Katina Defense Force to be outnumbered. I need advice on how to best utilize their resources before our reinforcements arrive.”

“What?” Peppy rubs his eyes. “What kind of attack are we talking about, General?”

“Frontal, all ground forces.”

“Which outpost?”

“I said #1657FA. Don’t you remember?” The blank stare from his new advisor answers that question. “I’ll pull up the layout on display.” A hologram pops up in the center of the table. “Enemies from this angle, east.”

“Okay. Since we’ve got a lot of level ground make sure they deploy land vehicles.” Peppy looks closer. “Most of the land battle will be done by those troops.”

“Tactical movement suggestions?” Peppy asks, intrigued by the retired pilot’s logic.

“This is a fort, right? Its object is to protect the area west of it, I’m guessing.”

“Yes, that’s a major factory facility.”

“In that case, make sure no troops from the fort leave. Only cannon fire comes from the base. This is a siege. The KDF reinforcements should come from the sides to ambush the attackers and stop them from reaching their target. Any air support needs to stay above the area and secure the airspace. Priority one should be the factory’s protection. That’s why they came.”

“I’ll inform Central Command immediately.”
***


On Katina the aparoid queen is leading the charge.

“You’ll never take the factory.” Krystal says. “It’s one of the most heavily defended places on this planet. It’s impossible, even with these numbers.”

But I will. I have many advantages in this battle. You, the greatest of all.

“I don’t believe you. I’m sure even my increased powers aren’t enough to pull this one off.”

It’s all a part of my plan. Our victory is certain. You will turn the tide and for this I thank you.

“I can say I’m glad you’re wrong. It will end here at the very least.

Meanwhile in the skies above Katina three savvy pilots make their advance downward to aid the Katina Defense Force.

“Did we have to do this mission?” Falco carps. “I mean ‘my planet isss in great distress; aid us in defeating our foe and it will sssurely be worth your while’ isn’t cutting it anymore.”

“We were closer than Wolf’s team.” Fox replies. “They only need help until reinforcements from Corneria arrive. Then we can bail.”

“I’ve got to say I agree with Falco on this one. He isn’t real generous.” Slippy concurs.

“But he needs help. So we go and that’s that. Neither of you wanted to leave this planet in danger, I know.”

“You’re right but still…and wearing the stupid helmet too?” The Ace’s complaints know no bounds. “You couldn’t make it more stylish?”

“It’s a part of the headset.” Slippy reminds. “And you’d better wear it for all your whining.”

“If this were Krystal and the aparoids attacking you’d wish you’d worn it.” Fox adds. “So no complaints about the equipment. We all have to wear it if we don’t want her in our heads. Especially since it was your idea.”

They reach the surface of the planet. The battle is in its early stages and the KDF pincer attack seems to be working. The enemy seems to be taking the worst of it despite superior numbers.

“I’m glad I suggested it now.” Falco says, noting the nature of the opposition. “Who’d have thought we’d run into the doll here?”

The person in question doesn’t notice them at first. She is heading up the attack and single-handedly attempting to shift the balance by using her powers to try and corrupt the mechanized ground forces. To some extent it’s working and a number of the KDF vehicles are malfunctioning and turning on their allies. It’s when green lasers from above start to fall around her that she looks up and sees them. She rises to her full height and waves.

“Fox.” The queen calls. “Good to see you, I was a bit worried…” She smiles cruelly reaches out with her telepathy. “You’ve found a way to block my peeking into your mind.” She giggles. “You’re no fun.”

Fox doesn’t answer her. He addresses his teammates instead. “Remember, don’t hit her. Not-”

“Don’t hit her ‘or else’.” Slippy interrupts. “Got it.”

“We know how it is.” Falco chides. “She’s still your girl.”

“But, d, ch-” The leader stutters, on the spot. “Take her reinforcements down. She’ll probably retreat when they’re destroyed. At least let’s hope so.” The team breaks formation.

On the ground Krystal is musing to herself. Given her situation, it isn’t too positive. “I miss hearing their thoughts.” She considers. “It was reassuring. Now I feel lonely.”

They hide their true intentions, choosing to shut you out so you don’t realize they could care less.

“That is untrue. They stopped you from spying on them and me as a result.”

They conceal their hatred and the fact they see you as the enemy you’ve become.

“They would never do such things! They are good people!”

How do you know?

Krystal doesn’t have a retort for that remark. She surely can’t tell at this point. She speculates on the matter as her area is strafed again and the queen somersaults sideways, firing back a burst of her own. The Arwing barrel rolls and repels her fire, leaving a parting shot that burns one of her legs considerably. “That hurt…” The captive consciousness thinks slowly.

While over the radio Fox is throwing a conniption fit. “I told you not to shoot Krystal! Are you deaf? Follow orders!”

“It was reflex.” Falco admits. “I don’t flip when you guys friendly fire me.”

“Pay attention!” The leader yells shrilly.

By this time the opposing commander and her forces have reached the gate’s vicinity. Rallying her troops again they push forward swiftly with her running point. The allied forces are surprised and the slow moving vehicles are left behind in the wake of the enemy’s charge. With nothing standing between them and the gate the turret gunners go into action. Even combined with the firepower of their air support little progress is being made. So they switch targets hoping for a quick victory.

“Aaaahhh!” The queen screams aloud, putting up the staff shield after taking a direct hit to the chest. “I can’t lose here!”

“Fox, help!” Krystal implores mentally.

He cannot hear you. Were he able to he still would not. Let me save us.

“No.” Even though her body is getting heavily bombarded and the shield is closer to failing with every shot Krystal remains stoic. “I’d rather not.” She says haughtily.

Meanwhile in the sky Fox is on the verge of having a brain hemorrhage…

“I’ll take those cannons out myself if they don’t stop firing!” Fox exclaims.

“They’re manned, Fox.” Slippy interjects. “You can’t just do that!”

“Then make them stop!”

“Fox please…” The telepath begs silently.

They’ve shut you out and abandoned you. Let me help; I’m all you’ve got left.

“Will you stand idly by and watch me die, Fox?” Krystal asks, surprised to hear her query echo through the battlefield as her shield breaks.

“That’s it!” The senior officer of Star Fox barks. “I’m-”

“Fox don’t do it!”

A lot of things are happening at once. As Fox circles back around to take the cannons down Krystal is hit with another shot and knocked to the ground seriously hurt, eyes tightly shut. He locks onto his targets as allied air support comes from the west. Right before he starts firing his radio crackles on.

“Fox, that’s one of ours!” The head of the KDF Air Division yells. “Don’t you ever get it?” He kids.

Fox doesn’t reply. He begins to open fire on an allied turret despite his radio communication. In no time it’s almost done but friendly fire comes his way and he breaks off to avoid damage. “Now’s not a good time, Bill.”

“Shots on allies aren’t cool, Fox.”

“Quiet I’m trying-” A loud scream penetrates his cockpit. “Dammit! Krystal!”

Krystal curls up from the anguish with a horribly pained look on her face and begins to glow. First, the burn marks disappear. Then she begins to grow.

“There is no excuse for-” Bill begins.

“I really think you’re missing something, Dog boy.” Falco interrupts. “Maybe you don’t understand what’s going on.”

“Uh oh…” Slippy breathes.

“I know I’m late but- whoa!” Bill’s eyes nearly bug out of his head. “Husky, Bulldog, look out!”

The three ships that are the most elite of the KDF Air Division scatter as Krystal’s expansion comes into their immediate area. Her growth stops around 250 feet. She looks around at her new height and smiles.

It is as I predicted. Now we cannot be stopped.

“Why would Fox abandon me?” Krystal wonders, bewildered. “Didn’t he hear me call out to him?”

The queen disregards the question. She steps on the closed gate and cannons, which were still firing ineffectually, and gains entry to the base. The remainders of her forces follow as she cuts a swath of destruction with her footprints to the entrance of the factory through the center of the citadel.

The allied troops within the base that hadn’t been crushed on her entrance decided to regroup as best they could from something that no drill could prepare them for. Assembling into a semblance of formation they all bring whatever weapons they had managed to keep to bear on their vast attacker. Everything from handheld blasters to shoulder-mounted rocket launchers started firing on the cue of the most senior survivor.

The attempt at a counterattack remained beneath Krystal’s notice. After all, the weapons of foot soldiers just couldn’t do enough concentrated damage to make her do more than snort in contempt. But when her aparoids started to diminish in number because of that she gave the resident army more attention. A glare that would freeze the stoutest man came down upon them and the barrage paused in the wake of it. Alas, it would do them no good; no mercy was present in the massive eyes above them.

“You can’t mean to…” Krystal is in a state of astonishment. “I mean-”

I will.

“But they don’t have a chance!” The psychic hostage protests. “Half of them are running!”

That is not enough. They should not have harmed my children.

Krystal could see there wasn’t a point in continuing the dispute, as there really wasn’t any discussion. She didn’t have a choice. All she wanted at this point was to be able to shield her eyes but even that was not granted. Forced to watch as her humongous husk matter-of-factly began to obliterate the entire area she felt a profound sense of wretchedness. Each step laden with flattened smears on the landscape and every gesture the cause of dozens more casualties as the battle became what would be better called a slaughter. Emptying their armaments with fever did them no service; they would be just as well halting the death dealing colossus with their bare hands. Irregardless of their powerlessness and the ones that simply stopped and awaited their fate she continued the undoing of the stronghold which was rapidly becoming a ruin. Beholding all of the carnage and feeling each individual light of thought flicker out one at a time made for a divine punishment for the confined Krystal.

“Fall back, men!” One soldier cries, regardless of his rank. “We don’t have a chance!” What was left of the regiment that staffed the stronghold dropped their weapons filed into the bunkers below ground as fast as they could, given the situation.

The Aparoid Queen watched this with a small smile on her stolen face. “Do you think you can escape me that easily?” She taunts to her hidden adversaries. “There is no refuge for you anywhere.” She raises a foot, preparing to collapse the foundations of the underground shelters. “Prepare to be entombed.” Her threat is not carried out, however. Shots from Katina’s elite air force annoy her enough to merit her attention. She turns to the aerial enemies, more than a little irked.

“She just…” Bill is dumbfounded, but not for long. “Alpha Team, Formation Two! Aim high, take the cutie down!” He orders.

“Don’t even think about it.” Fox says flatly.

“Dude, you can’t be serious! Did you see what she just did?”

“Did you see what shooting her did to her?” Slippy retorts. “We’ve got big enough problems as it is!”

“It won’t matter if we do this right.” Bulldog says. “And finish the job.”

“Do not test me.” Fox says coolly. “Now is not the time.”

“Don’t overstep your bounds; this is my home planet!” Bill snaps back. “I’m authorized-”

“Save it.” Falco says dismissively. “That’s Fox’s girl. Long story and questionable choice in women I’ll grant you but that’s beside the point. Bottom line, you’ll have to go through us.”

“Boss?” Husky, asks, awaiting orders.

The Alpha Team leader considers his options. Looking at the extremely oversized purple fox he can see she’s paid them no more attention for she’s bent over and opened the manufacturing plant wide with her backside to them. Her aparoids file in with efficient swiftness, despite the trouble brewing outside. “We could surprise her.” Bill concludes. “She’s a big enough target; we might take her down if we’re lucky but…” He looks at his radar. “Fox and his team are on our tails. They’ll try to take us out if we go for her…”

“Boss?” Husky asks again. “Formation orders?”

The lead pilot looks again. Though her behind presents an absurdly easy target with her leaned forward in such a way his sensors warn him that he himself is locked onto. “If I go, he’ll shoot me down…” Bill thinks. “But...”

“Your move.” Fox reminds him.

“We can’t take them both.” Bill concludes. “Because we have to go through both them and her to get to her and if we fight them first she may leave and we’ll be too hurt to deal with her on top of that anyway.”

At this point Krystal and the aparoids are done here. With naught but a glance at the two squadrons she and her servants leave, flying away with the entire contents of the facility as suddenly as they came.

“Alpha team, move out!” Bill commands. “We’re done here.”

“Good decision.” Falco chuckles. “The one with the least tail kicking.”

“Oh, we’ll finish this.” The leader of Katina’s air force replies. “I’m sure we’ll meet again. You can count on that!” Alpha team boosts off.