- Text Size +

"Well, there's always tomorrow," You say.

 

 

 

While she tries not to show it, you can see the disappointment in her eyes, "I have to go back home tomorrow. I won't get another chance to come here for at least a year," You can tell that she's trying to be polite, considering the fact that you've been hounded for a good chunk of the night, but she really wants you to volunteer.

 

 

 

"So what do you have to get back home to?" you ask.

 

 

 

"Work. Work, work, work," She says, "I'm a vendor for Samuel Adams,"

 

 

 

"Isn't that treason then?" You ask pointing to her wine glass.

 

 

 

"I drink enough of it that they can forgive me a glass of wine every once in a while," She says.

 

 

 

"How does a girl like you get into beer vending?" you ask.

 

 

 

"I grew up the only girl in my family. It was just me, dad, and six brothers," She said.

 

 

 

"That must've been rough," You say.

 

 

 

She pshaws, "Are you kidding? They treated me like a queen. Unfortunately, dad only knew how to raise boys, so I picked up a few, shall we say, less than ladylike habits," As if on command, she lets out a loud burp, "When dad retired, I was the only one interested in taking his spot,"

 

 

 

You talk until they announce closing time. She keeps dropping subtle hints at her desire to eat you, but you evade them. You still aren't sure. You don't know why. She's witty, beautiful, and she sells beer. You just aren't ready. You walk with her to the door.

 

 

 

"Well, it was a pleasure meeting you. Sorry things didn't work out," You say.

 

 

 

"Yeah, too bad, but what can you do, eh?" She says.

 

 

 

"Can I have your number?" You ask.

 

 

 

"Sure," She digs in her purse and brings out a business card. Shauna O'Hare, "Don't be afraid to call me if you ever work up the nerve to, you know, I'll try to take some of my vacation time and meet you here," She says.

 

 

 

"Deal," You say.

 

 

 

She rides off in a cab and you stare at the restaurant. It's mostly empty now except for the staff closing up. You came all this way and didn't have the nerve. You wonder if you'll ever try again. You sit on the front steps of the restaurant and think about this eventful day. You know Landon got lucky tonight, and you haven't seen Rob. He must be in some girls belly as well. While you are wondering who he "went home" with, someone sits next to you without speaking.

 

 

 

You slowly turn around to see who it is and gasp in shock. Skittles is relaxing on the step mere inches from you. She sees you gaping and waves, "Hi," She says, then goes back to looking out in the distance. You don't know how to react. It's not everyday your favorite singer just sits next to you out in public.

 

 

 

"H-hi" You say, you smooth talker, you.

 

 

 

"Change your mind?" She asks. You look down at your red band. You'd forgotten about it.

 

 

 

"Sort of," You say, "I mean, I want to. I've wanted to do it since I was a kid, but nothing felt right. I kept holding out the whole time,"

 

 

 

"Well, it is sort of a big commitment," She says, "I don't understand it really, but I'm not here to take away anybody's escape,"

 

 

 

"The truth is, I don't think most of us understand it, but we feel it. That's the confusing part," You say, "It is very compelling, even though we know it is fatal. Part of us pushes, while the other part pulls," You stare into her wide blue eyes and feel the pull yet again. You stare at her lips. They are in a sort of sad curious line. It makes her mouth look smaller, which in turn makes her eyes appear that much wider, "Anyway, if you aren't into vore, how did you get involved in being the official face of vore and the official voice of Forbidden Dish?"

 

 

 

"Oh, my late husband was into it," She says, "I brought him here and met my roomate. Things just sort of fell together. The owner sort of paved the way for our band to get big, and in return, we've sort of sold out and become a walking commercial for this place. Sometimes it's fun, but I miss the freedom to just pick up and go anywhere, you know?" She smiles at you, "Well?"

 

 

 

"Well, what?" You ask.

 

 

 

"The night's not completely over yet. If you still want to do it, all you have to do is ask. I know you want to," She puts her arm around you, "It'll bring back fond memories for me, so in a way, you'd be doing me a favor too,"

 

 

 

Do you dare? Never in your life did you think you'd get such an opportunity. You could be eaten by a celebrity, and you wouldn't need to get a purple band or share with anybody.

 

 

 

[ask her] [go to chapter 96]

 

 

 

[Nah, I'm not ready] [go to chapter 98]