- Text Size +
After driving for awhile, I felt the car lurch as we came to an abrupt halt. I awoke, wondering what was happening that required Amy to stop so violently. I glanced out the window. We had just arrived at her house and I noticed that some police cars were out in the front, along with some official vehicles that had a symbol I didn't recognize.

I turned to Amy and asked, "What's going on? Did you do something?"

She starred out the window for a moment, scanning the area. She then took out her phone and began dialing quickly, apparently uninterested in answering my question. Either she didn't know either or she didn't want to say.

I could hear a voice pick up on the other end. Their conversation started normally, but the escalated quickly into a more panicked tone. Amy asked several questions quietly, turning away from me to do so. One thing I had noted is that I was fairly certain it was her mother, Laura. Eventually Amy hung up the phone and then shifted her gaze back out of the window. I looked at her, waiting for some sort of reply, but she continued her stare outwards as though contemplating what to do next.

I decided to interrupt instead, "So, what the hell is happening?!"

"I'm not sure why they are here, but my mother believes they are looking for her research. They must be waiting here for anyone that has been in close contact with her." She replied.

"Okay but why now? I thought that stuff was awhile ago. And who are these people exactly?" I asked.

"Well last week, my mother said that she had some research that someone attempted to hack into last week. All her research has been private and personal, so yes, it was always a secret. She didn't think much of since it appeared to be an unsuccessful hack, but obviously something was discovered and they must know it's her. We aren't exactly sure of who these people are either so I can't answer that. In fact, I'm not really sure what to do. I think we need to meet up with my family and figure this out without using our cellphones anymore." She clarified.

We sat there for a moment in silence thinking about the situation.

I thought aloud, "Okay, just make your one last call and tell them to meet somewhere where they wouldn't suspect. Whether that's a random place or some place only you ladies know about, it doesn't matter. Then we can wait this out for a little and let these people make the first move. I'm sure they will reach out in someway and then we can figure out what they want and find a way to resolve it. Sound good?"

She looked at me, appearing a bit more relieved than before. She smiled and then pinched my cheek before verbalizing her appreciation. "Thank you so much! Okay I'll call her back and we'll go meet up with them."

She hastily brought out her phone and began to redial her mother. After a couple rings, Laura picked up. "Hey let's meet at the hotel we used to stay at for winter vacation. We can't use our cellphones anymore until all of this gets resolved. Okay?"

The phone clicked, and Amy set it back down. Her face and mood appeared more determined than her prior confusion, and her actions confirmed that as she threw the car into gear. We turned around and headed for this mysterious location that I had never been.

"Sorry you've been dragged into this Dave." She said apologetically.

I looked at her, and reassured her, "This isn't your fault. All that's important is that we figure this out and return your guys' lives back to normal."

---------------------------------------------------

After about 25 minutes later, Amy pulled off the highway into a dirt road. We began to drive on the swerving, dirt road. I looked out the window taking in the unfamiliar scenery, trying to figure out where we were. My thought process was interrupted as the car of Laura and Amy's sisters became visible. All of them were standing outside of their cars, towering over them. There were a couple cabins in the background that looked abandoned. Except there was one problem: Jen wasn't with them.

Amy rushed out of the car to ask the obvious question. "Where is Jen?!" She exclaimed.

Her mother and sister broke eye contact with a fearful and disheartening expressions. After regaining some composure, the two looked back to Amy. Wendy finally piped up, "Amy, Jen was taken. She left us and got out at her house to pick up some things, and some men ran out and grabbed her. We were about to intervene but saw about 20 armed men waiting in some armored vehicles, so we sped off They left a message on mom's phone. They say we have to give over all of mom's research and come into their facility in order to have Jen returned."

Both Amy and I starred at them in disbelief. This changed everything. The dynamics between these people and this family were dramatically shifted in their favor now. They had the trump card and they got to call the shots now. I could see Amy angered by the news and a little frazzled mentally. We all stood around in silence before I finally asked an important question,"So where's the research and where is their facility? We obviously have to get Jen back."

Laura immediately retorted, "We can't just give them this research. It would be detrimental to have this in the wrong hands, which honestly is any hands other than mine. Not only that, but I don't think they will just hand her over so gently. There is a reason they want us to come."

"Okay but what if we make some terms of our own while agreeing to meet and give them the research. Then we can create some sort of plan to save Jen. How long do we have?" I replied.

"We have 48 hours to contact them back and tell them we're coming." She said.

Again, we all stood there, contemplating our options, and Jenna's options.

Laura broke the silence with an excited look and exclaimed,"Okay I think I have an idea! Dave we're gonna need your help for this to work. Are you in?"

I nodded knowing that family meant everything to them and I would do whatever to restore that. She smiled and then came over to me. Once she was close, and my eyes were level with her hips, she bent over and lift me under the arms and then brought me in for tight squeeze. She held the hug for a few moments and then thanked me.

She released me and then looked to each of her girls. She then reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone. No one objected to Laura and her unknown plan. If she was confident in her answer, then we were confident. The dial tone sounded as she began to call the captors of her beloved daughter. If there was one person that they shouldn't have messed with, it was Laura. And even more so with this family to support her. A person answered, and all she said was, "We will meet tomorrow at 1pm. I will bring my half and you must bring yours. I expect the keys to release Jen prior to starting any deal or exchange. I don't need her, just the keys. Then email me the address of your facility, your intentions with my research, who you are, and l give me your name, and to you I will speak exclusively. I will not deal with anyone other than you. Understood? Now reply." There was a brief moment, and then she quickly hung the phone up.