- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the introduction so it doesn't have much GTS action but bare with me. There will plenty action in the other chapters
John was part of a colony full of barely visible people to the regular person. In comparison to a regular person, these people would stand a little above a hundredth of an inch tall. John was actually a ranger, also known as a scout. They were the most elite and most fit individuals in the colony. And John was fortunate enough to be one of them. The only reason he had even joined or thought about joining the rangers was because of his crush, Ariel. She would always talk about the Rangers and how they were so brave. And maybe, if he were to join them, she would talk about him and how great he was.

A few weeks before at John's school, he saw Ariel and her group of friends at their lunch table. He would usually sit a few tables across from Ariel and just watch her. She was so beautiful when she just did what a normal person would do. He then saw her friends start to get up, leaving Ariel all alone. This was John's chance to talk to Ariel. Getting up, he walked towards Ariel's table. He then sat down in front of her.

"So I heard you like the rangers."

"You do know I'm in the rangers?"

"Of course I did." John said foolishly.

"You're not thinking of joining are you? I barely survived my first tour and I'm one of the best the rangers they have"

"I am now."

"That's suicide and you know it."

"Maybe I have a death wish. Maybe I just want attention."

"I'll tell you what. If you go out for one tour and you return to the colony alive with food, maybe I can give you that attention that you want. Sound good?" That's all Ariel said before she started to walk off. John was just talking but now that the girl of his dreams told him that if he were to go on the outside and came back alive with food, maybe she would go out with him.

Right after school, John went to the ranger headquarters to sign up. As he was about to walk inside the office, a strange man came up to him and stopped him. "So you want to be a ranger? Did you know that you'll have a twenty percent chance of coming back alive." The weird man grabbed John's shoulder. "Name's Darwin. I've seen what only rangers have seen. I've got outside and seen what.." Darwin trailed on and on until John walked away and quickly got inside. Turning around, he saw the military police take him down to the ground. "Who was that?" John asked to the ranger guarding the door. "That's just Darwin. Comes around here spouting his anti ranger ways. We arrest almost every week but when we release him, he just comes back here." The ranger said as he escorted John to the front. After signing up, John was mere moments away from getting deployed.

John's colony was unique and one of a kind in a wall that belonged to Destiny, a smart and young teenager who was African American. She never thought that right under her nose was thousands of what she thought was mere ants but were tiny and miniscule people. In fact, she had crushed and eaten hundreds over the course of a few years since she moved in to her new apartment. She had moved in about three years ago when she was a sophomore in college.If she knew the truth what was living in her apartment, what would she do?

John's nerves were high. Being a ranger had a one in a hundred chance of making it back alive and with food. His commander gave them a few words of "encouragement" right before he released them into the world.

"If you ever get caught by Goddess, never give up the location of the colony. Also, if you are brave enough to go to the kitchen, prepare to run. Don't ever try to grab something that is twice your size. It will get you noticed. Good luck and be careful." That's when he opened the door and the alarm blared. The metal door to release the rangers was under the giant's bed and with a path carved from trash leading out.

As for the ranger uniform, it was made of what ever the former rangers brought back. John's uniform was nothing but plastic bottles pieces. John was hesitant to wear this until he found out exactly how rare plastic was in the ranger community, only given to experienced rangers. He felt honored to wear the plastic armor.

Then there was a sizer. It was a pistol shaped device that would measure exactly how big something was. By far the largest object a ranger has ever seen was the owner of the kingdom, codename: Goddess. She measured at well over five miles in the sky. The first ranger to see her must have been scared out of their mind. And finally was the standard issue radio. All rangers carried one to communicate with one another while they were on a mission like John was on right now. The only bad part was that you couldn't communicate with command back home. His first mission. The only thought on his mind was of Ariel. Sure he was nervous but once he stepped foot on to the outside world, a world that no one except the rangers have explored. For the first time in his life, he felt cold and relaxing wind that came from Destiny's A/C. The further he went, the less nervous he felt. But that was about to change to change real quick in a few minutes.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading so please leave review to tell me how I'm doing so far.