- Text Size +
February 25th, 2014, 6:56 AM CT, New York Under-The-Underground Area 51 Compound 16.
"There are many ways in order to make someone feel like he's no one of importance, to have his whole significance wiped out in just a few seconds in our world. A dark, bottomless pit with no sight of the bottom nor the beggining. A world where the goverment(who gained control with a scandalous coup d' etat a decade ago) has often made use of its most weapon in order to wipe out all and any that oppose to its rule. And now I will most likely face the fate I escaped from years ago. But let's start from the very beggining, shall we?
When a dream team of the world's most reowned scientists managed a way to shrink the atom(killing some poor souls in the progress), many celebrated thr fact that virtually unlimited energy could be produced in just a fraction of the amount it costed up to then.
Seems disturbingly like a utopia, right? Nontheless, everyone wanted a piece of the cake, no matter how hard the UN tried to even the load. A World War III was looming on the horizon, and most likely we wouldn't be here today if not for Kafka Hanwell, a charismatic chairman of BL/IND industries, a groundbreaking tech company. He single-handedly managed to convince the superpowers to make peace and quote: "To come together into mankinds most prosperous era, where war will be a mere word with absolutely no meaning, we need to make peace NOW, and never look back on the wars and the famine and pain. The Past Is Dead, The Future Is Now, The Aftermath Is Secondary."
His rousing speech somehow made sense to all parties involved, and overnight, a multi-billionaire became the most famous person on the planet. Loved by everyone, it was only normal that he would rise more on the hierachy of power, and rise he did, making a overly successful coup d' etat and claiming New York as the nations capital. Now there was nothing to stop him.
First, there was some optimism, since he was adored by many and as far as the public knew, there were no deaths. (Needless to say, everything was done behind the scenes.) This didn't last for long though, as Kafka showed his true face, changing the government into a control-heavy one with the help of his company.
But the worst was still to come. Kafka quickly realized that he couldn't kill nor jail everyone who imposed him as he didn't have the infastructure for that, so he turned to what gave him the power to do so in the first place: the atom shrinking. He quickly passed a law that made all criminals, including the ones on death row, have their height decreased permanently. When the public found out, it was already too late.
At first, there were some tests on long-timers. All information was disclosed and is considered top secret, but a load of urban myths have since emerged. People with mulitiple toes or even hands, with small heads or even cut in half were just a few.
Nevertheless, it passed approval and consequently came the storm, one of the worst nights humanity has ever seen.
It was May 21st, 2015, a night that would later be immortalized by the name The Night Of The Hollows. In just a couple of hours, around 100.000 people who were marked by the gov as "dangerous for the government's stability, the country's safety and overall fully replacable targets" got shrunk by BLND's personal army and most of them got crushed or tortured almost instantly. The high profiled ones of course were alive, despite their reduced height, and lived respectfully in exchange for their silence and cooperation. Cheap, if you ask me.
And yes, there were a few lucky ones that either hid or never got noticed by the government's pawns despite their involvement in rebellious acts. The speaker actually was one of them. I was the rare person that both got shrunk and didn't die in mere seconds. Just like my shrunken peers, I got into custody and then was transferred into an online shop...of sorts, just like eLay, but with a twist: The only thing sold was shrunken people, in often astronomical prices. While this idea might seem downright hideous to some, there were virtually no protests(of course, having shown your power in order to kill whoever got in your way tends to induce fear into people's hearts. Lots.)
After a few hours waiting in a cramped...box, I presume, I felt someone elevating the box and getting me nauseous at the same time. I never was a fun of religion, but times like these make a man weak. The box suddenly stopped my elevation.(and my nausea by association) A few exchanges were made and small talk as well, and I remember telling to myself that the woman's voice sounded eeringly familiar, as much as one could recognize a voice from inside a box. The voices stopped and my worsening nausea returned, if only for a second.
I quickly realized what laid before me. Due to me having no contact with any other shrunken persons I had absolutely no idea what to expect, but relating my experience to one of a bought animal was my best choice. Fun fact: I had full sense of what I was(and would) be going through, in contrast to these creatures. While I was thinking I had completely missed the unmistakable sound of a scissor cutting onto paper, and I quickly corrected myself, ready to face whatever came at me, as the face of my captor would be shown any second now...any second...
"George?"
"Jenna?"
I was screwed.
Chapter End Notes:
Pfft. Boooy.