- Text Size +
ďťżThe floorboards creak as Milo places his foot down on a loose board. He can feel the slats below bellow under his weight as he applies pressure. It is dark, the only light is from the faint glow of an oil lantern held in his tan right hand. Standing at the top of a staircase in an old dusty hall, Milo looked upon his destination. Past cobwebs drifting in the loose breeze along side of water damaged wallpaper was an open door. As he walked he could hear the wood call out like old voices. "Turn back," they moaned. The smell was dank and musty. At the end of the hall was that singular door. Milo could see the moonlight spilling into the room beyond the door's threshold.

As Milo walked across the old wooden planks they got weaker where the water damage started and began to snap. "Common don't break. I am almost there," he said to himself spacing his steps wider. Placing his feet flat with each careful step. It was only a few yards away. Crash, the board he put his foot on snapped in half. Mile tumbled to the floor catching himself before his other leg followed. He could feel a few splinters poking his leg as he lifted out of the hole. Milo sat for a moment catching his breath as he looked at his jean covered leg.

Now the entrance was upon him. He learned his head to look past the gates of this room. The room he had been seeking through this old foreclosed mansion. The roof was missing like it had been ripped off, just like in the stories. Milo reached and pulled his body forward into the light of the moon. A cool breeze swirled around the room. Milo could feel a presence as a shrill shiver fell down his spine. "I made it. This is it. The room." he said to himself with a smile. In the distant he could see the lights of the city. A pair of red ones glowed then disappeared on the old radio tower, the tallest thing in the city. He smiled to himself as looked upon the desk. This was the desk in all of the photos. The desk where the girl named Jackie would visit. A chair facing the desk looking outside the hole. "This is the place!" he laughed to himself with giddy glee.

Leaping to his feet he practically ran to the chair and planted himself in it. He closed his eyes and set the lantern down. "Alright Jackie. Come show yourself," he said with a big grin then opened his eyes. Milo turned his head looking around the room, but there was nothing. "Awe no. I did everything right!" he said in a disappointed tone. He had a camera hanging around his neck. It was framed well against his purple shirt and black hoodie. "Jackie smile for the camera," Milo said shooting several photos in rapid succession. "If you're here show yourself." He flashed a few more and sighed. "Another hoax."

Milo sat up and promptly got to his feet shaking his head in defeat. "Well. that was a waste of time. Hopefully, I got an EVP on the recorder. That would be something else." As Milo started walking out of the room he heard the sound of metal clank on his floor and then slide. He slowly turned his head to see a locket lying at his feet. "Ho!" he said as he bent down snatching it off the floor. "Jackie, is this for me?" he asked in a soft tone. "Show yourself Jackie... I want to be friends." There was no answer. "Alright Jackie, well I am going now," he said looking at the strange pendant. It had a devil's face on it with two angels holding it with chains. "Creepy."

Little Curse, Episode 1: A Twisty Curse
Original Story By Chillflame

"Hmmm, what is this thing?" Milo asked himself as he stroked his fingers through his ombre hair. He sighed as he pushed on a small metal peg that protruded from the pendant's side. "It does not seem to want to open," Milo sat at a desk with a large pair of monitors on it. Across the screen was a live feed of a bulletin board that refreshed every few seconds, an email account, some sound software and a web browser. "Hey, what's this?" he said as he pressed his finger on the small prong. It slowly turned as he rotated it with his index finger. He continued until he heard a click. A sudden sound of gears began to tink in faintly. "Well, this is not just any locket. It's a puzzle." The two angel's wings began to pop out of the metal. Milo then forced them up and to the side after, a little bit of fiddling with them.

Another click was heard and the devil face lifted up. He pushed it in with both of his thumbs and felt a small prick. He pulled away, dropping the pendant onto the floor. His left thumb had a small needle prick and his blood was spotting out. The pendant slid a few feet then started sinking into itself. A blue light began to shine through Milos room out of the face of the pendant. "Ah! What is this?" he said with great curiosity.

The pendant then melted into the blue light leaving a hole of light shining on Milo's wooden floor. "Wo a porthole! Holy shit!" He watched with shock as a scaly purple arm reached out of it. Claws sharp like razors clicked on his wooden floor. Then a torn bat-like wing followed and another arm. It struggled for a moment as another wing popped out. The two wings spread open with a flap. It's wingspan of about three feet. A voice then burst out of the hole, "Ah, mortal! You have freed me!" it was a bit squeaky and a little scratchy and gruff. It also sounded as if it was coming out of a tunnel. Then a small horned head came out of the hole. Red eyes peered at him as he flapped his wings until his body was fully free. He landed onto his floor with talon-like feet spread open. "What is your name human?"

"It's Milo," he said calmly. "Oh, shit this is awesome! Are you like a demon or something! How cool!"

"My it has been a long time. Something so strange as a name like Milo... what a weak sounding name." He said with a laugh.

Milo looked at the creature for a moment. "Yeah, well what's your's?"

"It is a name that may drive you mad when you hear it! I am the great mighty and feared Twist!" he said with a grim laugh.

Milo nodded his head slowly "Twist... that is your name? I can't imagine anyone fearing that name."

Twist raised an eyebrow for a moment. "Yes but my appearance alone will send everyone trembling and the ladies begging to be my slave for all eternity." He then chuckled snapping his thin tail back and forth.

"You're not really that scary, " Milo said causing Twist to narrow his eyes. He began to huff angerly at Milo. "I mean you look a little fugly... but no one is going to be scared of you. You look like a gremlin." Milo said with a chuckle.

"What!" yelled Twist as he pointed his claw at Milo.

Milo blinked his eyes a few times. "What are you going to do? Beat me up. I could step on you. What are like two feet tall?"

"Shut up you fool! I could burn you alive right where you stand!" he then growled.

"Oh... could you?" Milo said raising an eyebrow to him.

Twist slowly walked over to Milo stepping over a few cluttered items. "With the touch of my palm I can inflict third-degree burns in an instant! Watch and see!" he laughed slowly reaching for Milo's leg. Milo responded by kicking the devil monster sending him back several feet and knocking him into a the wall. A picture fell with a loud slam. Twist slowly pushed himself up glaring up at Milo cocking his head to the side. "You hit the mighty and all powerful Twist! I decided I am going to eat you alive... before that I am going to char your whole body up until you are nice and crispy... then I'll swallow you whole."

"Oh yeah?" Milo said with a laugh. "How you plan on doing that? You try to touch me again I will just kick you," the strange imp just flapped his wings. "You going to blow wind at me? Real threatening. How do I send you back to your hole; you're annoying me now."

"Hmmm... stupid fool. I shall curse you! Dust of the air aid me!" he flapped harder. "You should have cleaned your room because now my curse will ruin you! You would be lucky if you could find an elixir to heal your stature!" Milo looked at him cockeyed for a moment then sneezed. "I told you! Fear the wrath of my curse!"

"You made me sneeze you idiot. Big scary curse!" suddenly Milo began to feel sick.

"That was not my curse dear... what was your name again? Eh it does not matter." Twist said walking toward Milo. With each step Twist took, he seemed to get bigger. Milo watched in terror as the former tiny little imp was now his own height and soon he was even bigger. His room was getting larger too and he felt like he was on an elevator. "Hello, tasty little mortal!" Twist laughed.

Milo's eyes got wide as Twist towered over him. Without any hesitation, Milo ran as fast as he could, tripping a few times as Twist chased right behind him. Twist's feet stomped with loud clacking, his claws cut into the wood with each step. "Help me! Someone help me!" Milo said as he jumped behind his coach.

Twist screamed out "You can't hide bug man!" Knocking a lamp off Milo's desk with a crash. Milo crawled under his couch as he watched Twist's clawed feet follow right behind him. Suddenly a red glow filled the couch as Twist got down on his side and peered at Milo. He looked into those blazing eyes as his heart pounded.

"O' you are going to play hard to get. I like that," he said as he stood back up. The couch rumbled as there was a tearing sound. Milo layed back in horror as he saw a claw tear through the black lining fabric of the bottom of his couch. It planted itself above him and grabbed onto him tightly. Milo screamed bloody murder as everything around him turned into warps speed and he stopped face to face with the imps massive face. His breath smelled like shit. It was disgusting. His sharp fangs dripped with saliva. "Now you just made me even more hungry with all that running!"

"Oh, please someone!" Milo cried out tears visibly forming in his eyes. Bang! There was a loud noise that jumped Milo but more importantly jumped Twist making him turn his head in the direction of Milo's apartment door.

"Shut the hell up! I am trying to have a nice get together with my friends you freak!" yelled a furious young girl holding a baseball bat. Her hair was in a ponytail and she had a white t-shirt on with a pink bunny on the front of it. She looked at the strange creature holding a tiny person in front of its mouth. "I dunno what the hell is going on here."

"RUN PIPER!" Milo screamed struggling in Twists grip.

She paused for a moment and growled "Milo?" in a suddenly softer tone. "Get the hell off him!" she roared as she ran up to Twist and gave him a firm clubbing to the head with the baseball bat she had in hand. Milo felt the warp speed rush again as Twist tumbled to the floor.He then felt a warmth come over him and then the wind was cut out of his breath as Piper gripped him tightly in her hand. placed Milo inside her pink yoga pants pocket. "I don't know what the hell you are but you are going to get the HELL OUT OF MY COMPLEX!" She said as she swung the bat onto Twists back. Then he burst into a puff of green smoke.

He then felt a warmth come over him and a tightness. The wind was cut out of his breath as Piper gripped him in her hand. Piper placed Milo inside her pink yoga pants pocket. "I don't know what the hell you are but you are going to get the HELL OUT OF MY COMPLEX!" She said as she swung the bat onto Twists back with a loud snap. Then he burst into a puff of green dust and fire.

Milo felt his whole world move as his neighbor lifted him out of her warm pocket. She was huge, like a billboard huge. He could not help but have his heart pound as he looked into her massive green eyes. "What happened?" Milo stumbled out in a quivering voice.

"I beat that thing up... then it kinda went poof and it's gone now," she said in a calm tone. "So what was that thing?" she said in an unamused voice.

Milo blinked a few times. "It came out of a locket I found... while ghost hunting."

"Yeah?" it was almost concerned but then her face turned into one of anger. "You brought that thing to my apartment," the girl growled. "I should throw your sorry ass out on the streets for that." Milo began to visibly tremble. "Eh, we will talk about that later. Well, the girls will get a kick out of this," she laughed.

Milo's eyes grew large "What? No, no put me down? Piper! Piper please listen to me."

Piper wagged her finger in front of him. "I could not live with myself if a spider came and ate you. With all the clutter in here and mess, you make I bet you have a few of them. Though, it might teach you to clean my apartment and keep it nice!" Now Milo's chest was pounding and he could feel a pain surging through his body.

"Hey, tell you what? Leave me here and I will pay you two times as much rent next month?" Milo said in a shaky tone.

Piper bit her lip for a moment. "Sounds promising but I think it would be more fun to humiliate you for ruining our movie with your loud nonsense!" Piper then gripped Milo tightly. "You do not object do you?" she said in a sweet but threatening tone.

"You're hurting me." Milo stammered out as his breath was being forced out of him by the pressure. Her grip loosens just a little and Milo gasps for air. "Piper, please... stop... this is too much... I am embarrassed about this," he said blushing.

Piper laughed "Well maybe you should have thought of a better wish stupid." Milo watched as his room became a distant image as he was being carried into the hallway.

"Common Piper please!" he begged as she pulled Milo's apartment door closed. He kicked his legs wiggling around gazed up at her with pleading eyes. "You're not going to really do this to me are you?" Milo burst out. Piper grinned slowly as she placed her hand on her doorknob. "You don't have a heart!" she stopped for a moment.

"I have a heart," she says in a kind of hurt tone. She looks touched almost.

Milo sighs. "Thank you, now bring me back to my room, please."

Piper then grins again. "I just don't have it on me right now. I left my heart on my dresser by accident," she laughs opening the door to her apartment. She grins widely as she comes into the room. "Look girls! I found myself a toy!" she laughs while Milo begins to hyperventilate. Three other titans to Milo stood up from their chairs and looked over.

"What is that?" A young looking girl said. That was Spice, Piper's best friend. For as mean and cold Piper was Spice was perhaps ten times in the other direction. If Milo did not know better he would swear Spice was a kid perpetually fueled by a never-ending sugar high. She tended to be very loud and a little clumsy at times. He had never talked to her before though he knew her. Milo had nothing against her but that glow of hers was intimidating, to say the least.

Then there was another girl with a very amused look on her face. She wore black framed glasses and had long blond hair. A smile graced her face the could blind just about anyone. It was kind of sweet though. Her purple eyes matched her dark tan skin very well. "Is that alive?" she asked in a monotone voice.

Behind her was another girl who was a little shorter. She kind of peaked her head out behind the blond girl. Her eyes were a very brilliant blue which was framed nicely by her almost glowing fiery red hair. She smiled softly as she made a small waving gesture.

"Yeah, this is our little trouble maker," Piper said with a sigh. "Everyone say hi to Milo, my freaky little neighbor."

"That is not possible," said the blond girl. "How did he get so small?"

"He likes to hunt ghosts and apparently he found himself one." Piper then grabbed Milo's cheek with her thumb and index finger. "Isn't that right?" Milo then cried out in pain.

Spice jumped seeing the expression come over Milo's face "Wo wo careful!"

Piper then laughed "Don't worry I am not going to hurt him much. Just a little play. Isn't that right little Milo!" the last part she said in a cooing voice. Milo frowned his, face beet red. In much the same fashion, he slouched in almost a completely defeated kind of way. "Milo this fine young girl is Spice. The pretty blond one is Melony and the quiet redhead is Molly. Want to say hi to them?" Milo slowly raised his hand and waved nervously shaking. "Now now common be a bit more enthusiastic. When was the last time you had four girls thinking you were adorable enough to eat up," she laughed.

"Don't say that." Milo burst out shaking.

"Don't say what?" Piper said in a put off tone.

Milo looked down. "The eating thing." Piper responded with a laugh. "Shut up!" Milo said then folded his arms.

"Someone seems a bit cranky," Piper said then walked over to her living room area where all the girls were. In the middle of the room was a coffee table. Piper not so gently dropped Milo from several feet in the air to him onto the hard surface. Milo sat in front of all them surrounded by all sides.

When he looked over in Spice's direction she had a huge grin on her face. "Mi-look can I touch you?" she had her hands already up in the air by the time it registered what she said.

"I ah... yeah I guess," he said in a defeated tone. However, instead of being manhandled like he expected she simply put her arms down. Milo looked down and kind of huddled around himself. He was trying to steady his breathing, but this was all too much.

"Piper I don't think he is very comfortable." Spice said in a whisper. "It's ok Milo. I don't need to touch you if you don't want me to." Spice continued to grin with cheerful eyes. Milo sighed with a sense of appreciation for Spices consideration but honestly it did not make things much better.

Suddenly Milo felt a gentle rubbing on his back. "She is right you're really tense," said Melony in a calm cool tone. "You need to relax I can feel your heart beat from here."

"Yeah, that's real easy when you're like the size of a bug and you just got kidnaped," Milo said in a sarcastic tone.

"Kidnaped? I saved you! A few more seconds and you would have been monster chow! Show some respect!" Piper burst out while scowling at him.

Milo looked over at Piper trembling breathing heavy. He almost coward in front of her. "What happened?" Melony asked.

"I was fooling around with this pendant I found while ghost hunting tonight... and well it opened and... this monster came out. I made fun of it and it attacked me." Milo said in a trembling voice. "Somehow it cursed me and made me like this... and it was going to eat me, but I ran away... then it caught me." Milo started to shake. "I could not escape it. It was going to kill me." Milo then fell to his knees. "And Piper she came bursting in and saved me... but she took me... I wanted to stay in my apartment until it wore off."

Spice sighed "Piper!" she then let out a little bit of a growl. "You know he is shy!" she looked over at Milo with sympathetic eyes. "You want me to take you back to your apartment?"

"No, you are not taking him back over there. I found him so he is mine for now. I can't have my tenants going missing because they shrank to the size of a damn bug. Why the hell do you always have to go out ghost hunting? You know ghosts are not real!" Piper bursts out. Milo just slumped over. "Well, I guess that one was... but still!"

"Well, he is here now so what do you suggest we do with him Piper?" said Melony.

Piper sighed "He is my tenant so I guess he pays to stay here. Might as well keep him with me." she said with a big sigh. "I am only doing it to make sure you pay me on time next month. I already lost two tenants last month." Piper growls. Milo just looked up at the four wondering what was going to happen to him.

~

What will happen to Milo? Is he stuck like this forever or will the girls be able to find a cure for his curse! What of Twist? Find out next episode of Little Curse!