- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Please write a review if you want more.
My people left the forests centuries ago. We blended into the human culture, disguising our ears and hiding our magic. Our traditions remain though. On the approach of our nineteenth birthdays every Faye returns to their original form, reuniting with nature to fully awaken the power of our heritage. I should explain that before this ritual is preformed there is quite the limitation set on our magic. Before the awakening has been completed strong spells can be quite draining, sometimes taking days to reconstitute the necessary magical energy. We channel our magic through markings etched into our skin, easily passable as human tattoos.
And so its come to the last three days of being 18. I take the morning train to the closest wooded park in the city with only my spelled clothes and short sword hidden in my old baseball bag; everything else of necessity I can easily glean from the forest. I walk into the woods for thirty minutes to avoid as much contact with humans as possible. It doesn’t take long to strip down and start lacing up the buckskin leggings, the scabbard hanging off my hip. I wrap a light shawl around my neck similar to a shemagh, leaving my back bare so my wings will be able to emerge freely. I hide my bag with my regular clothes high in a tree, leaving a burn mark on the trunk to remember it by. The transformation will take a lot more magic before my birthday but as long as I don’t cast any other major spells things should be fine till then. I’m ready. I breathe out. The ink knots around my wrist begin to unwind.
My hair, a dark bronze in my human form, now shines like burnished copper with eyes green as the blades of grass surrounding me. My ears are noticeably tipped and the dark feathery wings that sprout from my upper back are glossy and strong. I haven’t flown in months and the initial few flaps feel stiff before rising smoothly into the air. After my transformation the world seems so much bigger even though it’s me who has gotten smaller. In my true Faye form I stand just over three inches tall, not much more than the length of a pinky finger.
The morning is spent taking in views of the forest’s wildlife; chattering squirrels, twittering birds, and even a few sunbathing snakes. Sitting nestled back in the shade of a raspberry bush enjoying a ripe pick, I hear the tramp of what can only be a human. Not a very big one at that, but her being no more than 5’6 is still gigantic to me. She unfortunately spots the raspberry bush and I retreat further into it to hide. Not that she could do much to me. Even at this size my strength is impressive and my speed even more so, but my people prefer to safeguard our existence, understandably. I watch as she approaches. She’s beautiful. Large brown eyes, even darker hair, and smooth pale skin with a slight sheen of sweat from her hike out here. I can’t help but stare as she approaches, setting down her backpack before reaching out towards me to pick berries. She brings the first one to her lips, and it feels strangely intimate to watch her in the perceived solitude of trees as it passes through to her tongue. Her smile confirms what I already know. The berries are delicious. She bends down to unfasten a pocket on her backpack. That’s when I see the snake. She doesn’t. I dive headfirst through the bush, thorns raking my body as I go. Her scream hits my ears before I reach the ground. It has sunk down on her forearm. My sword is in my hand and I stab down on its body. Releasing her, the snake writhes flinging me off. I land hard on my left shoulder and feel it dislocate, but there isn’t time to think about it. The snake is about to strike again and this time it’s going for me. It lunges forward at me and with a yell I stab down through its skull pinning it to the ground. I try to take steadying breaths as it writhes away its last few moments of life.
I can really feel how much my shoulder hurts now and yanking it back into place hurts even worse. There is blood all over me. From thorn cuts, from the snake, probably even from the girl. The girl! She’s sitting on the ground staring at me. Knees to chest, holding her arm and shaking. Her face is wet from an unebbing flow of tears. I walk over to her till I’m standing in front of the toes of her white keds. I shouldn’t be doing this. I shouldn’t have shown myself, but its too late now. I can smell the blood and the venom. Looking up between her knees, at her face, I break the silence. “Let me see your arm.” She just shakes her head. I try again. “I can treat the bite but I need to do it now before the venom spreads, let me see your arm!” I shout, hoping I don’t have to climb her, at least not at the moment. Her big eyes get even wider and she leans forward bringing her bitten arm down in front of me. Healing anything is a pretty major spell; along with purging the venom I really hope I have the energy for this. I wish I was already nineteen. My palms glow as the faint spirals on them begin to spin. I place them on her arm, soft skin giving slightly. I release the magic into her. I can sense her whole body as the skin knits itself back together and the venom is burned out of the bloodstream. Then its over. I take my hands away. Her skin is smooth and perfect, as if there never was a bite. I suddenly feel a coldness drench me. The ground seems to crash up into me. All I see are giant brown eyes above me. Shit. Everything goes black.
A warm breeze ruffles my hair. I stretch, feeling my entire body ache, and pull this nice wool blanket tighter around me. Then everything comes back to me and my eyes snap open. It wasn’t a breeze. It was someone’s breath. I recognize those huge lips above me, and the eyes that go with them.