- Text Size +

Chapter 3: The Healer



Nessa awoke with a start. Her large circular glasses where hanging from one ear while the other was pressed up against her cheek, leaving a red welt against her fair skin. Two bags hung from each of her hazel eyes. A severe reminder of what staying up to long the night before does, while wrestling with complex medical textbooks and advanced magical theory on its applications. 

 

Adjusting her spectacles back onto her face, getting the wire frame back over each ear comfortably. Before sitting up from where her sleeping bag rested against the floor on what was fortunate for her a comfy moss ground. Which made getting up so much harder, from having slept rough this entire week.  Her bones seemed out of shape, from the torture of camping, combined with having to adopt odd sleeping positions each night. 

 

The early morning haze slowly cleared from her eyes, letting her see the red and gold print tent walls imposing in on her. It's ornate sigils circling the hand of there kings families legend. 

 

Shivering from the cool air that drifted in from under a tiny gap, where the tent met the ground. Nessa grimaced at the thought of having another day of travelling with all her books, she couldn't help thinking darkly on this whole entire experience. Then having to stop to set up her tent again and get what little studying she could done before it all started again. She felt more akin to a marionette being dragged violently from place to place, then a free spirited fairy.

 

There was a lot of hustle and bustle going on outside of her cramped tent. Stroking her shoulder length brown hair back down, fighting it's knots, in vain to regain some semblance of composure to this horrid experience of having no warm comforting fire, from that of her medical school hall, nor having any other conveniences of home. Like warm water or even a chair. She hated having to squat down on her poor delicate legs to read. It was awful, she wished desperately to the stars that she would never have to do this again, never ever. At least next time she would insist on a chair and a table. All the squatting and sitting on her knees just was to barbaric for her to handle. 

 

The noises grew louder and more obnoxious outside, as her ears become tuned to her surroundings. An annoying reminder there wasn't a nice thick wall between her and the world outside. Sighing to herself realising that there next heir to the throne was off somewhere, running free once again. It annoyed her that just by there prince's whim that she got torn out of her ivory tower into a world of grime and no running warm water. 

 

Braving the cold she finally got up out of her bedsheets, regretting the moment the warm blankets left her bare skin. Immediately adopting hunched posture, due to her limited accommodations.  Hoping a cup of the liquid sludge that was called tea would let her regain a more positive mood and motivate her for another day of flying. Nessa slowly, got into her well worn, slightly damp and frozen cold regal blue uniform. As she slipped the sickly sticky clothing over her body, she sighed thinking only one more week and I'm home and dry. Nessa was thankful for the enchantments cast on them that warmed her skin; still it would have been nicer to wear something more personal, having to wear clothes of her kings clan always played in the back of her mind.

 

Lastly she grabbed a hold of her journal and knapdack to go over some notes she wrote down last night. Fixing her robes straight one last time she left her limited seclusion of her tent to a large bustling crowed that marched in circles over there own tracks. They where all busily arguing amongst themselves, dividing blame back and forth, for today's debacle with the prince no doubt. There special green uniforms all with unique house crests ornately adorning there slightly overweight builds. Each one holding a golden chain, each and every link marked a deed or a donation made to the king. Some of the arguing nobles had very long chains. It was almost comical to see them pressing there red faces together in anger, each one making an argument about how there links where more unique or more earned. 

 

Honesty it was the same thing every time with these nobles. Nessa just wanted to get past them without getting knocked into and blamed for there blunder. Shaking her head she quickened her pace past the red faced fairies. Finally when she was away some distance only hearing there angry waffle echoing through the trees, she relaxed. Stretching her dragonfly style wings out fully, it felt amazing to have a moment to let them stretch after being cooped up in her tent. 

 

Still it was the same story everyday. The prince would prank one of his sister's and then charge off somewhere. Leaving the royal guards the challenge of catching up to him. Then the nobles would start up, blaming and circling like fat sharks, circling a proverbial dead horse. Shaking her head to clear her mind of distracting thoughts, she started walking again. No point dwelling on the Prince or the nobles. Who knows maybe she would find one of those conjured tables and chairs to relax in and go over her notes. It might just lift her spirits, she sarcastically quipped to herdelf. Feeling a whole lot more enthused Nessa took flight over an impass of large tents. Yikes, it was bad enough having one small one to herself. But sharing, oh that was something she couldn't dare imagine. 

 

Seeing her target come into sight. A huge ornately decorated tent, with magically enchanted ropes pulling it out on all sides. It was the largest tent in the entire camp, one meant to feed and nourish everyone on this trip. The thought of having a nice warm drink spurred her wings to beat faster. Before landing a small distance away from its open entrance. 

 

Nessa landed a bit awkwardly, her body and wings still fatigued from yesterday's travel. Pulling herself back upright, she wished that there was some way to rest her poor tired wings. They felt as though they could give out at a moments notice. 

 

"Poor little fly can't land properly?" came the mocking indignation of a large male fairy, who was just exiting a tent to see Nessa scuff her landing. 
Nessa didn't want to know who it was or cared for who they where. All she wanted right now was a warm drink. Deciding it best to make a move as quickly as possible, she went to move towards the entrance of the cantin. 
"Oi! Who do you think you are little fly!?" 

 

His voice echoed in Nessa's ears it was so loud. She could feel herself shrink away in fear. This wasn't happening, what was going to happen to her now? 
"Ah Nessa, so sorry to have kept you waiting." This new voice came from above her. She was delighted to See Ziek, his roguish warm smile and green piercing eyes starring into hers. He delicately landed between Nessa and the disgruntled fairy. Moving up to her to rest his hand on her shoulder in a reassuring manner. 

 

Pressing her forward gently towards the entrance of the food tent. He gave a threatening look towards the aggressor. 

 

Nessa was relieved to be saved from the debacle, she also felt relieved to have someone pressing there hands into her sore back. She secretly wanted the sensation continue. 

 

Finding the closest empty seat away from the hustle of other fairies she enjoyed sitting for a brief moment feeling her leg muscles ache warmly. It wasn't for a few moments until she realised she had forgotten to get her tea or breakfast. The ordeal of just a few moments ago had made her temporarily forget why she was here. 

Nessa was just about to get up onto her feet when she heard Ziek's voice again. "Up again last night studying?" 

 

She was always taken aback at how nice he was. She was never prepared for it and never expected to see it anyone. Ziek put a bowl of light brown gruel in front of her while placing a hot drink next to it. Nessa stammered for a few moments her cheeks turning red as she desperately tried to think of the right words to say, only ending up saying everything all mixed up, only embarrassing herself further. 

 

After an awkward silence fell between the the two of them she finally opted to drink the tea set aside for her. It's flavour could only ever be described as to colourful. Still, the warm drink did find a way of warming her up. Nessa was about to drink from the bowl of gruel when several large fairies burst into the tent. As she was about to take her first gulp of food they all zoned in on her seemingly from every angle. Causing her to panic slightly and choke on her mouthful. 

 

"His Prince highness has requested your service. You shall accompany us immediately." There deep cold tone of voice sent a large steel brick to settle on the inside of her stomach. Nessa felt a cold sweat breaking over her back along with all warmth inside her being lost. She couldn't help thinking back to when she got up, that today was a bad day. 

 

Almost mechanically she rose from her seat having the King's guard grab each of her arms pulling her quickly away. She saw Ziek's concerned expression aimed towards her as he was powerless to help her. 
Nessa found herself back outside and in the air just as quickly. All sense of what to do was gone she just let herself be dragged from the camp into the woods ahead. 

 

She lost focus of the path ahead of her, she was shaken about as the guards carrying her would pick up pace and do quick sharp turns around branches and tree trunks. 

 

Nessa was thrust out into a wide opening. Finding herself dropped onto the ground without warning. The drop was so violent it ripped her glasses from her eyes. Ignoring the voices of a conversation taking place somewhere off to her right she padded her hands delicately on the ground hoping to find her glasses through all the haze. Finding them just in time to see the Prince leave. 

 

Assuming she was brought here for a reason she scanned the see of people in front of her. Flinching when she saw a real life Thornhunter. One of the warrior kin.

 

Nessa was taken aback at how composed she was, it actually scared her a little to see anyone that confident. Especially when surrounded by so many telekinetic guards of the king. She couldn't help but flinch when the Thornhunter pointed to her then to something behind her. Turning around to what she originally thought of as a giant black rock was a person. Buried face first into the blood sands. 

 

Falling backwards in shock, 'How? What am I supposed to do, they don't honestly expect me to heal this giant thing, do they?' Clutching at her knapsacks leather sling. She looked around for answers only seeing people starring down the taller Thornhunter, or just looking expectantly at her. 
Well they where only going to yell at her to do something either way she guessed. Finding the courage she stumbled slightly over to the giant creature to find to her own dismay and surprise that it looked like a regular fairy kin, except it was huge and had plain features with no wings. 

 

Testing the waters she probed out with mana of the earth. Traditionally a spell of binding she had adapted it as a sort autopsy spell. Through the direct flow of mana she would be able to discern and feel out problems. What Nessa felt was horrible resistance through every fibre of this poor giants being. It was like this creature was on the verge of death, if it wasn't for a faint glimmer of a beating heart. Nessa could feel it beat slowly, yet with strength, a strong will to survive seemed to be core to this creature. 
Calling in mama of the deep green woods she summoned as much strength as she could. Channeling all the healing she could. Nessa managed to do this while maintaining her earlier spell, allowing her instinct to drive the healing force in the giants body. It was all she could do, as the strain began to pile on she felt a sudden sense of urgency to complete this task. Almost as if the mana itself was willing to accomplish this task. For the first time she felt like she was genuinely going to be something bigger than just the fairy who was dragged out of her ivory tower. 


  *  *  *  *


Jay could hear voices off in the distance. They felt like they where far away and close at the same time. 

Jay tried to pull his arm up to his face, but it wouldn't respond, exhausted he let out an inaudible sigh. Before trying to move his fingers. It wasn't normal, they felt like they where a long distance away and completely numb. So tired came a voice within himself, resisting it's pull into the darkness, he tried once more to move before everything went into a deep empty blackness. Just before his mind fell into the darkness, something warm enveloped his body. It washed over his face down his body before touching his hands. 
The heavy dark cloud in his mind began to clear. He could see sunlight, blazing away, but it didn't burn his skin this time, it felt relaxing. Jay stayed like this for a long moment. 

 

Finally he could feel his eyes opening on there own. Black shapes moved in his periphery, long dark shadows seemed to be everywhere, the sky was a blurry orange. 

 

Blinking a few times he felt normal, but how? Tortuous memories rapidly played over in his mind. Telling him of the pain, the hunger, the thirst, of everything that had brought him so very close to death. Aware of every muscles and sinew in his body he slowly lifted his right hand to his face. It was like his mind was electrified. He couldn't remember ever feeling his body function this well. Prodding at his own face trying to find defects or evidence of the sun blisters he had once had. But found it respond like nothing had happened. Jays fingers worked up to his eyes where he used them to remove dirt and grime. Doing so felt like he was removing a weight holding him down in some way. 

 

His eyes focused seeing his own hand in front of him. There where scars covering parts of his fingers and hand. Bringing up his left hand he explored his new scars. 

Raising up he lent up on one elbow looking down the beech to the ocean. His trail of blood still soaked into the red sand except from where it met the seas waves. Looking out towards the setting sun he saw an incredible unspoiled view. The beach spread out to the horizon, with the treeline following it, mixing in incredible colour and depth to everything there. 

 

Turning round to his other side he saw smaller figures starring at him. They looked human but they where all under fifteen centimetres in hight or close to five inches. Some had staves or spears. One scary looking female standing closer to six inches had a large sword in her hand. 

 

For a few moments they all starred at each other blankly.  The larger girl in section wings flapped open ready to move. Jay blinked only to see more fairies circling her not paying attention to him. 

He just stayed that way frozen as his mind tried to work things out, only on this occasion exceptionally slowly. He heard something fall over startling back to the reality in front of him. He never realised it but there was a smaller fairy right next to him. She looked as though she had passed out, though for some reason he knew she was the one responsible for restoring him to his former strength by some miracle. Sitting up onto his knees he looked around to see more fairies all pointing there weapons at him. Jay could only guess they where afraid possibly because they thought he was an immediate threat to them. But that didn't make sense why would they heal him if they saw him as a threat, this girl healed him was it by her will alone he was restored. Should he leave,  but then would his saviour be punished for saving him? 

 

Closing his eyes he decided to use a bow. He hoped it would convey gratitude and relief the tension he could sense in the fairies threatening him. Though he honestly doubted they could seriously harm him with those weapons. 



Seeing the girl recover in front of him. She looked exhausted, barely able to move and respond. She also looked terrified to be so close to him now he had received recovered. Jay sensed this was the perfect moment to express his gratitude, for everything she had done. Pressing his palms flat against the sand he pressed his forehead into the sand. "Thank you, thank you for saving my life." 

 

He was amazed to find the words flowed so naturally from having not spoken for quite a while. He looked up to the small figure he was still frightened but she no longer was afraid. Slowly rising back onto his knees while keeping his hands pressed against the ground he waited for a response. 



Chapter End Notes:

Hello, I have been writing this chapter since I finished chapter 2. It kinda took a long time as this chapter was lost not once but twice and I've had to rewrite both times. I feel the magic I had when I first wrote it has evaporated and I've done my best to try and recapture everything I previously wrote and more. 

I would like to encourage you to write reviews or your opinions as it's the only way I will know if I should continue writing this and making it public. 

Also I lack proper knowledge of English grammar, so if you could cite errors I've missed or teaching resources to help me improve my writing I'll be thankful. 

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy my work.