- Text Size +

Eren took a step, her shoe crashing into the floor only a few paces from her miniscule brother, causing him to jump yet again. No matter how much it happened, he just couldn’t get used to the sudden impact of the girls’ steps. They were just so sudden, so loud, so… deadly.

Once again he had a great view of her massive high-tops. today she was wearing a different pair of shoes, ones that Geof liked much more than the ratty, worn out ones she almost crushed him with yesterday. These were relatively new, bought perhaps a week or two ago. They didn’t even stink like her sweaty feet yet.

Nike's, just like the last pair. They had a high top that rose far above her ankle, and had the same skater-type style. A large, mostly flat sole that stuck out a considerable amount past the seams that marked where her foot was. They were blue, a pretty sky blue that brought back memories of the outside air and freedom. Things that Geof might never be able to experience again. The trim was black, dark, and rough to the touch.

Even though they were only a week or so old, the edges had started to show signs of ware. Geof could see small bulges forming on the sides where his sister’s foot would press into. Tiny folds and creases could be found along almost the entire surface of it, if one looked hard enough. The laces were fat, black, and zigzagged across its lip, shiny black material holding them in place. And, of course, there was the large white check mark emblazoned on the sides.

Geoff had to move, needed to do something to make his sister notice him. Going closer to the titan was one of the last things he would have wanted to do at his size, but he didn’t have a choice anymore. He couldn’t survive at his size any longer. He took a breath, mentally prepared himself for his insane actions, that sprinted forward.

The tiny boy wasn’t sure what his plan was, or if he even had one. He just knew that he needed to be closer to his sister. She would never be able to notice him on the ground. Maybe if he could just reach her shoe, if he could scratch at her leg and beat his fists against it, then just maybe she would notice him.

And if she did? Would she think he was a bug and just kick him off? No, he had to believe that his sister wouldn’t do that. This was the last chance he had. The protective lip of the counter passed overhead, the light from high above brightening his world again. He sprinted forward, quickly closing the gap between him and his sister’s shoe, all the while listening to their conversation above, praying that she didn’t move.

He leapt into the air a few strides from the massive wall of fabric, his fingers grabbing for a hold when he smashed against the leather, perhaps an inch up. He was quickly able to find a grip in one of the countless stitches that made up a seam, his feet resting on the tiny portion of her sole that jutted out. For a moment he allowed relief to wash over him. The tiny bug had made it to his sister’s shoe. Now all that was left was a short climb. He was almost found.

Geoff started moving upwards. He had landed close to the toe end of her shoe, so the top wasn’t that much of a climb, even at his diminished size. Before long he was able to reach up and grasp the ledge the fabric made as it turned into the shoes lip. With a final heave, he pulled his tired, rasping body onto her foot.

“Yeah!” he shouted happily, rolling onto his back, breathing heavy from the exertion. It wasn’t much, but he had done it. He had climbed her shoe. Now all that was left was to go up her laces and reach her leg.

He was close now, closer than he had ever been before, and this reinvigorated his spirit. For perhaps the first time since things had changed he no longer felt like a pathetic bug struggling for survival. He had climbed his sister's shoe! Damn it, he could do this! He would be free.

“I can do this!” the tiny boy shouted, rolling back to his feet, rushing to the girl’s shoe laces. He leapt onto the first one, his hands reaching for the second. It was easy to find a grip in the tight, woven material, and pulling himself proved to be easier than even he had hoped.

Soon the second row had been passed, then the third, then the forth. They were steadily becoming steeper, but Jeff didn’t mind. His boost of adrenalin was pushing him forward. Everything was going fine. This was going to work. This was almost over. He wasn’t going to die!

Then Erin moved. A single step was all it took to remind Geof of his true place in the world. The tiny insect gripped her shoelaces tightly, his body plastered to the rough material of the girl’s laces as her foot rocketed upward, the first part of her step.

“Erin!” Geoff shouted as it started to come down. The stomach sunk, his knuckles going white as the clutched onto her shoelace. It was like the drop of a rollercoaster, the sudden change of momentum almost enough to throw the tiny boy off of the shoe he had tried so hard to reach. All his efforts were about to be destroyed, just because his sister was walking.

“Please!” he begged, a moment before her foot made contact with the ground, his face slamming into the hard, unforgiving fabric. “Please, stop.” He looked up, expecting to see the sweet, innocent face of his sister high above. Instead he was greeted with her backside looming high above. She was midway through another step.

“No!” the micro shouted as her foot rose higher again, the same process repeating as it had. Over and over again the tiny boy was tossed about on his sister’s shoe. Each step she took was another roller coaster, one that he could easily be killed by. The immense force that pushed against him on the way up, then the cataclysmic impact as her foot collided with the earth. It was almost too much for Geoff to bare.

Erin opened the screen door to the back patio, her footsteps echoing off of the boards underfoot. “Damn,” she said high above, stopping momentarily to admire the sorry state of things in the back. There were leaves, dirt, and twigs scattered all around the patio, cluttering it considerably. “I really should have had Anna take care of some of this.” Then she shrugged. “Still, nothing getting shit faced won't fix.”

Almost absentmindedly, she kicked at a broken branch that was close to her. A simple action, one that would normally have no negative repercussions. This, however, was not a normal situation. Geoff had managed to hold on throughout the course of her walk, but a kick was something else. His body had already been beaten and abused by the constant impacts. The sudden acceleration upwards alone was almost enough to break his ribs as he was pressed against her foot by the amazing force. The sudden stop at the top of her kicks arc was too much though.

Geof's fingers simply couldn’t hold on. They slipped from Erin’s laces, his body soaring into the air, following the arc of her kick. The floorboards of the patio passed under him, moving at an unbelievably quick pace, soon replaced by the jagged tops of blades of grass. But Geof didn’t see this. His body was facing upwards at the bright sky, and the few clouds that dotted it. They looked so big and fluffy, almost like soft little cotton balls. How he wished he could be big enough to be able to just sit and watch them without fear of being stepped on accidentally.

The tops of the grass blades soon rose above him, the harsh, densely packed earth soon following as his back slammed against it. He rolled much like he had done before, his world becoming a spinning mess of brown, green and blue, only stopping when his back hit a particularly thick stalk of grass.

“Ugh,” he groaned, letting his broken body slip to the earth. “The lawn…” he whispered, smiling lightly at the end. “Perfect.” He let his eyes close, slipping into a deep sleep that he desperately needed.