- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Review if you want. More to come soon but I haven't written it yet. If you want you can suggest a scenario for Jenna to go through.
"Where the hell am I?" Jenna exclaimed to herself.

She was alone in perhaps the weirdest environment she'd ever encountered. Aside from an empty black doorframe, everything was white. On and on into the distance the whiteness strectvhed, and at approximately one foot intervals were gray lines that divided the whole area into squares.

Jenna was frightened, to say the least. This was so strange. She had been running some errands and doing some shopping when she suddenly blacked out. She couldn't really remember much before it happened. And now she was here.

She looked down at herself and found she was in good condition. No injuries or marks. Her clothes were the same as the ones she's put on that morning. Short pink T-shirt and black yoga pants. The only thing about her attire she found a bit odd was that her shoes were missing and nowhere to be found.

Jenna looked over to the one thing other than herself in this odd environment: the doorframe. It looked to be about six feet tall and a few feet wide. Painted plain black, it contrasted with everything else.

Suddenly a deep feminine voice caught Jenna's attention.

"Hello, Jenna," it said.

Where on earth was it coming from? How did the woman know her name? What was going on? So many questions.

"We see you've finally awaken," the voice continued. "You're ready to begin."

"What is going on? Where am I?" Jenna asked, her voice quivering.

"We're testing your intelligence, reflexes and instincts, as well as our equipment," the woman explained. "I know, you're probably very confused, but hopefully it will all make sense soon. For now, please just do as I say. I hope you'll be happy to know you're helping us make history."

Jenna stood up quickly, and the voice was quick to react.

"Whoa, slow down! You don't want to ruin the test before we've even started."

"What are you talking about? What 'test?'" Jenna inquired.

"We're testing you to see how you'll react to certain, ah, situations. They'll all be based on a similar theme, but each will vary significantly. Okay, for the first test I'd just like to evaluate your condition at the moment. So, please reach down and try to touch your toes."

Jenna looked down at her feet and bent over. She had always been a flexible girl, so she completed the task with ease. Her fingers grasped her toes and she let go after a few short seconds.

"Now, kneel down, but keep your feet flat on the floor," the voice ordered.

Jenna hesitated a bit, not sure if she should comply with the woman's request. Then again, she honestly had no idea what was going on or what this woman was capable of. Jenna did as she was asked, careful to make sure her feet were flat.

"Good. Now, this may be a bit surprising, but you must continue to do as I say. Please, look at the ground next to your left big toe. You may need to... bring your face closer to the ground."

Again, Jenna did as she was told. She brought her face close to the floor and examined the ground near her toe. At first, she didn't see anything. She thought she looked stupid. Then, she saw a tiny black speck in the ground by her toe. Confused, Jenna lowered her face even more, so that it was only a few inches from the ground.

Right there, next to her big toe, was... something. It was moving. Whatever it was, it was really small. Jenna thought it was a bug, perhaps an ant, but it looked even smaller than that. Her big toe must really have been big to this creature.

"What is that?" Jenna asked the woman who she could not see.

"An insect," she explained. "A puny, worthless, insignificant bug that doesn't deserve to live. Now... kill it."

Jenna was taken a bit aback by the woman's sudden harshness. Why was she referring to the bug that way? Jenna leaned in even closer to examine the bug a bit more. She saw what looked like... arms... and legs. And the creature seemed to be jumping up and down, waving at her or something. Jenna realized that this was no bug, but it was a person!

Visibly shocked, Jenna reeled back in confusion, fear and disgust, among a host of other emotions.

"What is it?" The woman asked. "Just kill the bug! We need you to comply so we can conduct our research."

"That isn't a bug! That's a person!" Jenna shouted out. "I'm not killing them! How did you even get them that small, anyway?!"

"Jenna, we have plenty of other participants to, ahem, take your place if you don't do as I say."

The threat forced Jenna to think. If she didn't kill this man, she would be killed. Him or her. She didn't know him, and he couldn't really be real, right? So it wasn't really murder, was it?

Jenna slowly stood up and walked over to the tiny dot on the floor that was the man. He was waking about aimlessly but toppled over when Jenna accidentally slammed her toe down next to him. He was only a fraction of the size of it.

"Do it. Kill him!"

Jenna closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. She was really about to kill a man, albeit a miniscule one. She just wanted to get it over with. She raised her foot up in the sky and quickly brought it down with force. She felt the tiniest bit of resistance before it disappeared and her foot hit the cold ground. She felt his tiny guts splattered over the bottom of her toe, but didn't feel inclined to remove them or even look at them. Jenna looked down at her foot, which was still face down. She looked at her guilty face, which in turn looked back up at her through the reflection of her deep red polish.

"Good," the voice said." "Good..."

"You're sick!" Jenna yelled out, disgusted at the woman, herself and the guts.

"I know this must be hard for you," the woman continued, not mentions Jenna's comment, "but you might be glad to know you won't have to do anything like that for a while."

Jenna couldn't help feel a bit glad that she wouldn't have to step in anyone else. She just wanted to get out of here, wherever she was. Suddenly a loud noise shook her out of her thoughts. It sounded a bit like a jet engine. Jenna looked around and noticed the doorframe was now filled with a blue portal of some sort.

"Please step through the portal," the woman asked Jenna. "Whenever you complete the task I assign, the portal will light up and you can go through it. Now you may enter it and start your first true 'test.'"

Jenna saw no other way out of the situation but to enter the portal. The blue thing swirled and made noises as she came closer. Jenna hesitated at the entrance but eventually gave in. There was nothing else to do. As she entered, her body became cold for a split second before she blacked out.
Chapter End Notes:
Kind of short, but this chapter was mainly exposition. The action will start next chapter.