- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Animation: http://fav.me/dau8her

 

“I can’t believe I let you do this.” Eli touched his cheek.

“Don’t!” Winter stilled his arm and sandwiched her face beside his. In the flower-framed mirror, they looked like twins, except his sulking face was caked with makeup, and hers was jubilant, clean and smiling. Ally hovered behind them, camera in hand, capturing the horrific moment.

“You said this would be quick.” He turned and glared at Ally. She lowered the camera, intent on capturing every humiliating second.

“You have no idea how adorable you look right now.”

“We’re done, right?” He stepped forward, but she all but blocked the narrow path between the two beds. This had gone on for long enough. As soon as he’d finished the mandatory arm wrestling match with Winter (and lost), they’d jumped right into ‘makeup challenge’, ignoring his protests. After all, they’d said, the anonymous benefactor had increased the promised contribution to fifty dollars. How could he resist?

As soon as he squeezed past, the front door opened and Mom’s voice rang out. “Hope everyone’s hungry for Chinese!”

He made a break for the bathroom, determined to wash his face before Mom saw. He moved fast, but not fast enough. Ally grabbed his left arm, and Winter his right. Together they marched, like a pair of executioners leading him to the guillotine.

“Let go!” He twisted this way and that, to no avail. They weren’t hurting him, but they weren’t about to release him either.

“C’mon Eli, we worked so hard on it,” Ally said. “Let Mom see.”

“Let me see what?” Mom reached the top of the stairs, red and white bags of savory smelling food in her hands. She turned her head in their direction. “Oh my.”

“Look, Mom!” Winter bounced up and down with my arm in tow. “Eli’s a girl.”

“He’s not a girl,” Ally said. “We did the makeup challenge. He was a good sport.”

“Can I go now?” I hug my head, but my hair remained behind my ears, stuck with whatever spray they’d applied to it.

“Awww, honey.” Mom placed the bags on the table, then walked up to him and touched his chin. “Did the girls make you do this?”

Eyes level with her breasts, he really had to look up to see her face. Though she had a concerned expression, the corner of her mouth twitched.

“No,” Winter said. “Someone on YouTube offered fifty dollars and Eli said it was OK.”

“Ally, I told you to be careful with YouTube. There are bad people on the internet.”

“I know, Mom.” Ally droned. “Trust me. I delete half the comments and suggestions. This one just seemed harmless and Eli didn’t mind. It was fun.”

“No it wasn’t.” He frowned.

Mom struggled to hide her smile. She got on her knees and played with his hair a bit. “You look just like your sister.”

“I don’t want to look like my sister.”

“Oh, sweetheart.” She embraced him right there in the hallway, but he could feel the silent laughter in her chest. “You’re just the cutest — ”

“Mom!” He pushed away but, in spite of her laughter, she resisted, holding him tight. Physically, it felt good. It had been a while since he’d properly hugged his mom.

“I want a hug!” Winter said, followed by a “Me too!” from Ally.

Soon, all four had joined together. His sisters, infected by Mom’s mirth, broke out into laughter, lightening his mood to the point where he found himself half smiling. He erased the smile as soon as the hug ended, but he did feel better about everything. Well, except for one thing.

“What about my room?” he asked before his mom could stand.

She glanced to Ally, then back to him. “Sweetie, I was going to tell you, but I didn’t get a chance over the weekend. We’re moving you to Winter’s room.”

“But — “

“Sweetheart, it’s for your safety.” She thumbed his temple and swiped a lock of hair behind his ear. “It’s only temporary.”

“Temporary?”

“Well sure. Just until you’re small enough for...a place of your own.”

“You mean a dollhouse!”

Ally rolled her eyes. “It’s not a dollhouse.”

“Your sister’s right. It’s an apartment designed for Premies. It’s really quite elaborate. You’ll feel like you’ve got your own place.”

“But it’ll still be in Winter’s room.”

“Maybe. Or we could move it to Ally’s room.”

Winter whimpered, a soft “noooo”.

“You mean my room.”

“Sweetie…” She touched his neck, her face with the same imploring expression Winter used when she wanted to get her way. It must be genetic.

“Fine!” He sighed. “But what about my recording booth?”

“Well, you can keep that until — ”

“Until I become a doll.”

“No.” She squeezed his shoulder. “Until you move into the apartment. We’ll make sure it comes with a sound booth.”

“Isn't all this stuff expensive?” he asked.

“Don’t you worry.” She touched his nose and rose to her feet.

But he did worry. She barely made enough to afford the house and other expenses. How could she afford all this Premie stuff? She’d have to work more overtime. It wasn’t fair to her. At the very least, he should be more thankful.

“Now who’s hungry for Chinese?” Mom dug a few steaming cartons from the bag and opened them, filling the air with smells of rice, noodle, and egg.

Meeeee!” Winter ran to the sink and grabbed four plates. Not far behind, Ally swiped some forks from the drying rack and set them beside the plates. Unable to find the words to thank his mom, Eli hugged her instead, this time from behind and with all his strength.

He’d find a way to help her out, even if it meant more embarrassing YouTube videos. Whatever it took, he’d make it happen.

***

The next day, Eli held Ally’s hand as they made their way to his homeroom class. He still didn’t need a watcher, but part of him wanted one. From his perspective, his peers had skyrocketed in height overnight. He barely qualified as a fifth grader, much less a middle school student.

No one paid him much attention until he reached homeroom. But as soon as Ally departed and he stepped inside, heads turned and grins sprouted on faces like weeds. Half the students were gathered around Kyle, hunched over his desk, eyes glued to something on his phone. As Eli made his way to his own desk, he heard whispers of ‘that’s hilarious’ and ‘send me the link’.

After he sat down, someone tapped him on the shoulder. Suyin, the class’s Japanese exchange student, dangled a black tube with gold lettering. “Want some eyeliner? It look really good on you.”

Her sarcasm carried, and most of the class erupted in laughter.

“I’ve got some blush, and I’m sure Paul will be happy to share his mascara,” With a lanky arm, Joey slapped Paul on the back. “Ain’t that right?”

“I dunno.” Paul chuckled so hard the top button of his shirt, already barely containing his round frame, shot off. “He might have to arm wrestle my baby sister for it.”

“Back off!” Kyle stood on his seat, rising above his congregation like a cult leader. “I ain’t takin the heat for this one.”

“You’re not taking the heat for what?” Zoey walked in amidst the dying laughter, and headed straight for Kyle. She snatched his phone away and stood there, absorbed, as students returned to their seats.

After several long seconds, she slammed the phone on Kyle’s desk. “You think that’s funny?”

Kyle, seated once again, leaned back, arms behind his head. “Kinda.”

“He’s doing it to raise money, ya jerk.”

“So.” He shrugged. “You’d laugh too if your panties weren't stuck so far up your ass.”

Zoey prepared to slap him, then the bell rang and Miss Velasco walked in.

“Seats!” Miss Velasco closed the door. “That includes you, Zoey.”

They didn’t have assigned seating, but most tended to sit in the same place every morning. This morning, Zoey sat directly in front of him, perhaps because the seat’s former occupant, Paul, had moved to the other side of the room. In fact, the spots to either side of him were also empty, as if he’d contracted some infectious airborne disease.

The pink ends of Zoey’s wavy hair draped over the back of her chair. He fixated on them as Miss Velasco took attendance. How did she manage to dye her hair two different colors and still look so beautiful?

When Miss Velasco wasn’t looking, Zoey deposited a folded piece of paper on his desk. He opened it.

Stop making U tube videos dummy!

She had a point. He really should stop, but according to Ally, there were over a hundred subscribers this morning — not an easy feat for a channel less than a week old. Besides, the existing videos would circulate the school like a virus. Kids would point and laugh for a while, get bored, then return to their WiFi saturated lives, spoon fed by real YouTube ‘stars’ like Leafy and Pewdiepie.

Embarrassment, while unpleasant, paled in comparison to the anxiety of shrinking itself. Words hurt more than actions? Bullshit. Those people didn’t have the shrink gene. They’d never get to watch sticks and stones grow into logs and boulders, each capable of crippling, maiming or outright killing. He’d rather deal with words any day of the week.

“Eli!” Miss Velasco rapped her pencil on her desk.

“Here!”

“Pay attention please!” After Miss Velasco finished with roll call, she addressed the class. “We have three volunteer watchers for Eli. Miss Zoey Forrester for morning, Miss Natalie Parker for lunch, and Mr. Kyle Larson for afternoon. We still looking for more volunteers in case — yes, Zoey?”

Zoey put her hand down with a thump. “Miss Velasco, I don’t think Kyle wants to be a watcher. And Parker is in seventh grade. Can’t a teacher watch him when I’m not around?”

“Of course. But students at Landon Middle look out for each other. Isn’t that right, Kyle?”

“Yes, Miss Velasco.”

“Ok. Any other volunteers?” Miss Velasco asked.

Crickets...save for a random cough near the back of the class.

“Miss Velasco,” Kyle said. “I feel it’s a shame so few choose to help those with special needs.”

“Would you like to stay after school again today, Kyle?”

“No, ma’am.” His response drew scattered laughter.

“Anyone else want detention?” Miss Velasco shot off warning glares. The laughter ceased.

Kyle wouldn’t have been Eli’s first choice of watcher, but then again, he didn’t have much to choose from. He could scarcely believe Kyle had volunteered of his own free will. Either he was planning a prank, or Miss Velasco had forced him into it.

Probably both.

***

“Sure you don’t want to sit this one out?” Mrs. Caldersmith, the gym teacher, knelt in front of him, hands on his shoulders. At nearly six feet tall, she knelt for a lot of kids, but Eli would’ve warranted it regardless of her height.

He shook his head. “I’ll be ok.”

“Alright.” She patted him on the back. “You don’t have to do twenty. Just do as many as you can.”

“Ok.” He ran out to join the other students, lining up at the edge of the basketball court. After tightening the laces on his light blue sneakers, an old pair of Winter’s running shoes, he slid beside Zoey near the back of the group.

“You shouldn’t be running.” She glanced down at him. “And you look ridiculous.”

He shrugged. His makeshift outfit, a baggy white t-shirt and yellow-blue shorts, contrasted with her matching adidas apparel. Black with a red nineteen on the shoulder, her shirt clearly identified her as a member of the girl’s volleyball team, and an outstanding one at that. He had no hopes of keeping up with her, but he intended to try.

“Go!” Mrs. Caldersmith blew her whistle.

The students took off running along the outside of the court’s painted lines. Instead of blasting ahead, Zoey jogged beside him as he ran.

“Slow down,” she said after a while. “You’re going to kill yourself.”

“You don’t have to” — he gasped — “watch me every second.”

“I’m not. I just wanted to talk. Slow down and breathe.”

He slowed. She practically had to jog in place to match his pace. “I wanted to ask you about Parker. Do you even know her?”

“Yeh. She’s my…”

“She’s your what?”

“She’s my girlfriend.”

“Oh.” Zoey fell behind for a split second, then caught up. “That’s cool.”

“You’re not upset?”

“Why would I be upset?”

They rounded a corner and continued on in silence, save for his erratic breathing. He’d never learned how to properly breath through his nose while exercising. Singing had conditioned him to inhale quickly through his mouth, filling his lungs as fast as possible.

“She knows you’re a Premie, right?” Zoey asked.

“What’s that got to do with anything?” Why would she even ask a question she already knew the answer to?

“I guess...I’m just surprised,” she said.

“Why?”

This time, it was her turn to shrug. He waited for the bulk of the students to lap them before continuing.

“Premies can have relationships with normal people.”

“I know,” she said simply.

“Zoey, I’m not helpless. I don’t want your pity.”

“Chill out. I don’t feel sorry for you.”

“Then why did you defend me back in homeroom? You don’t have to —”

“Because I’m you’re friend, ok! We talked about this yesterday. Stop acting like you don’t need anyone.”

She accelerated before he could respond, zooming ahead, easily passing the group of students in front. He quickened his pace, but even running, he couldn’t catch up to the others. They continued this way for several laps. After she lapped him for the third time, she came back around and slowed to a jog beside him.

“How we doing?” If she was angry, her voice didn’t show it, nor did she sound the slightest bit winded.

He nodded, somewhat dizzy and unable to talk.

“I think that’s enough for now.” She motioned to get off the track.

He nodded again and veered toward the bleachers, nearly tripping over his left shoelace which had come partially undone.

She caught him by the shoulders. “You ok? You don’t look ok.”

“I think” — he heaved air, in and out — “I need to use the bathroom.”

“Can you hold it?”

He shook his head.

“Ok. I’ll tell Mrs. Caldersmith. Wait here.”

As soon as she walked away, he raced for the gym exit, ignoring the burning sensation in his lungs and the icy prickling on his skin. The latter didn’t come from the evaporation of sweat, and he had no intention of letting his classmates watch what came next.

***

“Mrs. Caldersmith.” Zoey jogged over to the tall woman who had her head down, jotting notes on her clipboard. “Eli needs to use the bathroom.”

“That’s fine.” She looked up. “Just make sure — oh. Looks like he really had to go.”

Zoey turned around just in time to see Eli disappear through the gym’s double doors. What the heck. Was he trying to give her a heart attack?

“I’ll keep an eye on him.” Zoey bolted toward the doors, dodging between her peers as they continued running. She spent most days after class in volleyball practice, so she had no need to finish the one mile run and whatever else Mrs. Caldersmith had planned. Eli took priority.

After bursting into the cool outdoors, she bounded across the concrete walkway and into the boy’s locker room. Once inside, she paused. It didn’t look anything like what she’d expected. Scratched benches separated rows of puke green lockers, some partly open with wrinkled clothes hanging out. A pungent smell, like that of an armpit, overpowered the scent of cheap deodorant, causing her nose to scrunch. Water dripped somewhere in the distance, followed by a low gurgling. She imagined herself venturing into the stomach of an enormous beached whale in the early stages of decomposition.

Before she could reach the shower/bathroom area and discover the ‘glories’ within, she spotted Eli between the back row of lockers. He lay curled up on the disgusting tile floor, typing away on his phone.

“Eli!” She hurried to his side and helped him sit up. “What are you doing?”

He tossed his phone back into a bottom locker and crossed his arms, shaking. “You’re not supposed to be in here.”

“Don’t worry, everyone’s in class.” She touched his arm. His skin felt colder than it should be, especially after just running a quarter of a mile. She’d read a few things about shrinking, but she hadn’t gone through the training yet. That wouldn’t happen until tomorrow afternoon. “You said you had to use the bathroom.”

He shook his head. “I — I need to be alone.” He turned his back to her. In spite of the recent exercise, his shirt didn’t appear too sweaty.

“That’s not going to happen, especially if you’re about to shrink.” She knew enough to stay with him during a shrinking episode, though she wished they were in the girl’s locker room. By law, Premies could enter the bathroom facilities of their current watcher. “Here.” She hooked her hands under his armpits. “I’m moving you to the bench.”

Expecting a struggle, she braced her back and lifted with her legs, but he didn’t resist, and he couldn’t have weighed much more than sixty pounds. After seating him on something marginally cleaner than the floor, she sat beside him and gave his leg an awkward pat. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

He shook his head again, his stringy hair concealing his eyes from the side. She’d always admired his dirty blond locks, even when they were ‘dating’. It had been part of the reason she’d dyed her own hair, to match his, even though she’d chosen a shade lighter. He really needed to take better care of it, especially since it nearly reached his shoulders.

His phone rang. She retrieved it from his locker. “It’s Parker.”

He extended a jittery hand, but if she handed him the phone at this point, he’d probably drop it.

“I’ll answer.” She slid the phone icon over. “Hello?”

“Who’s this?” Parker’s tinny voice came through the speaker. He really need a new phone. “Where’s Eli?”

“This is Zoey.” If Parker was really Eli’s girlfriend, she’d probably get jealous, but Zoey didn’t have time to worry about that. “Eli’s sitting right beside me. I think he’s getting ready to shrink.”

“Ok. Where are you guys?”

“The boy’s locker room.”

“Ok.” She spoke quickly. “I’ll be right there.”

“Wait. Is there anything I can do?”

“No. Well. Just keep him warm. Hold him if you have to.” Parker sounded conflicted. “Or don’t. It doesn’t matter, I’ll be there soon.”

She hung up.

Hold him? What did that mean? If he needed heat, maybe she should take him to the showers. He didn’t weigh a lot, but he’d certainly resist if she tried to pick him up, and moving him in his current state didn’t seem like a terrific idea.

Instead, she grabbed a lemon yellow towel from his locker and wrapped it around his upper body. His hands gripped the edges, locking the makeshift cocoon in place. Then, she scooted as close as she could and pulled the little guy into a side embrace, resting his head on her neck. He tried to lean away, but she didn’t let him.

“Parker said to keep you warm.”

“I — I’m ok.”

The poor guy. He could barely speak and he was shivering so hard, his head’s vibration against her jaw causing her own teeth to chatter.

“Shhhh.” She placed a hand on the exposed side of his face. “Try to relax.”

He took a few deep breaths, then stilled for a moment. A guttural whimper interrupted the silence and the strangest thing happened. His entire body shifted. His head dropped slightly, and his bare calves slid against hers. Only fractionally, but it wasn’t stopping.

The sound of loose change and rapid footsteps.

Parker appeared around the corner, winded and looking like she’d run a mile in a minute. Her fuschia wallet dangled from a short chain on her belt buckle. She returned it to her back pocket, at least as much as would fit.

“I can take him.” She moved toward Eli.

“It’s already started.” Zoey didn’t want to let him go now. Not because of jealousy (well, not entirely), but because of something deeper, more instinctual. As his body diminished in her arms, an overpowering sense of responsibility filled her. Nothing short of an act of God would cause her to willfully release him at this point.

Parker studied her, their willful eyes fighting a battle of sorts, one that couldn’t be seen but held every bit the meaning of a physical brawl. Unlike boys, girls didn’t always need everything to be spelled out verbally. A subtle look, a gesture, even a well placed pause communicated meaning effectively enough.

Parker sighed, and went straight for Eli’s legs.

“What are you doing?” Zoey asked.

“His legs are cold. I’m placing him on your lap.”

“Ok,” Zoey said. It was the right thing to do, of course. Why hadn’t she thought of it?

Before she knew it, Eli was seated sideways on her lap with his calves and feet extending partly onto Parker’s lap. Parker removed his dangling shoes and socks, and wrapped one hand around each of his small feet. All this time, he continued to shift against Zoey’s body, his head now resting on top of her chest. In spite of his position, she didn’t feel violated in the slightest. Quite the opposite. Her growing breasts — something she occasionally considered a nuisance, especially when playing volleyball — felt right, meeting some newly discovered purpose, and not in a sexual way.

“Hold him close.” Parker spoke softly, rubbing her thumbs on the tops of Eli’s feet, up to his shins, then back.

“Like this?” Zoey pulled him closer until his side bumped against her stomach. She hugged him tighter as he deflated like a balloon animal with a slow leak.

“That’s good.” If Parker was upset at the way she held him, she didn’t show it. In fact she seemed to be eyeing Zoey almost as much as Eli. “How does it feel?”

“It’s...” Somehow she knew the question was intended for her and not Eli. After all, he seemed almost catatonic in her arms, melting into her body as she willed her heat to transfer into his diminishing form. The sensation of his lower body reducing on her lap, his weight lessing, his entire self becoming less in her arms...

“It’s pretty cool, isn’t it?” Parker whispered.

“It’s amazing.” This was what it was like to be truly needed, truly responsible for the well being of another. This was what it was like to have a helplessly fragile person — the boy she’d once loved, still loved — getting weaker and more dependent with every passing second. Guiltily, she longed for it to continue, longed for him to shift all his burdens onto her shoulders, and she’d carry them (and him) happily for the rest of her life.

Parker’s hand touched her knee, a light touch, but enough to bring her back to reality. In Parker’s soft gray eyes, she saw a kindred spirit, one who’d shared the incredible, magical feelings Zoey was experiencing. She didn’t want to part with Eli, but if she had to, she’d feel somewhat content knowing Parker would take care of him. The sapphire haired girl had an aura of trustworthiness, of sincerity. Zoey had never noticed it before.

Parker smiled and Zoey smiled too. If they were in the same class, they’d probably have been friends by now.

Eli stirred in her arms, and she suppressed a gasp at the sensation — much like how she’d imagined being pregnant, and having a baby kick at your womb. Obviously she’d never tell him that, but she couldn’t help but think of it. After all, he’d become so much smaller. He couldn’t be much larger than a six year old, if that.

Reluctantly, she loosened her arms. “You ok?”

He nodded against her chest, causing her to bite her bottom lip. Unfortunately, she’d have to put him down soon, or else her maternal feelings would transform into something else entirely.

Perhaps sensing the situation, Parker asked, “Can you stand?”

Another nod of his small head, and Zoey closed her eyes, relishing the feeling. Then, she released a determined sigh and, with Parker’s help, gently lifted him onto the floor. As soon as he stood, his shorts fell, along with his underwear.

With his cute face turning red, he reached for his backpack, but stopped short, catching the towel before it could slide from his shoulders. His modesty charmed her more than it should.

Parker pulled his backpack from the locker and unzipped it.

“I don’t need help.”

“Yes you do,” the girls said in unison, catching each other’s eyes and laughing. They were in this together now, and he wasn’t about to weasel out of it. Besides, she’d baby sat for her cousin, a first grader roughly Eli’s size, more times than she could count. She’d bathed him, seen him naked, and even changed his diapers when he was younger.

He seemed too defeated to argue further, and he really had no grounds. They were his watchers. Even without training, she knew he must be tended to, before, during and after shrinking. So, tend to him, they would.

Zoey, lifted the towel away while Parker held his underpants out, adorable briefs with little red and blue dinosaurs. She considered removing his baggy shirt but, as tempting as it was, he’d probably throw a fit if they saw him entirely naked. With wobbly steps, he tried, but missed the opening of the briefs. Parker caught his foot and guided it in, then did the same with the other. She pulled them up and secured them with a soft pop of the elastic band. Then, she did the same with his plain gray sweat pants. When it came to the school dress code, Premies were given considerably more leeway, especially during the shrinking stages. It made sense, considering how often they needed different clothes.

Parker handed Zoey a small shirt, navy blue with a white design, something that looked like a cross between Star Wars and a country ranch. A farmer, pitchfork in hand, stood beside his wife, both wearing Stormtrooper masks. It was odd enough to rekindle the smiles on their faces. His sisters must’ve had fun picking these out.

Eli wasn’t smiling, however. He seemed to be falling asleep on his feet, even as Parker pulled blue striped socks over his little toes.

“Arms up,” Zoey said.

He raised his arms and she removed his shirt, amazed at how tiny and proportioned his body had become. Though he stood about as tall as her cousin, no higher than her upper stomach, his bone structure seemed smaller. His shape still resembled that of an adolescent, but with his youthful face, anyone unaware of his status as a Premie would easily confuse him for a small child. In fact, with his rejuvenated hair and skin (on account of the shrink gene’s restorative properties), he looked more like a little girl than a boy.

She pulled the shirt down over him just as Parker secured the last shoe on his foot. They had velcro straps and amber lights flashed on the side of the sole when he set his foot down.

“Seriously?” He blinked slowly, staring at his feet. Poor little guy could barely stay awake.

Zoey nearly fainted from the cuteness factor, especially when Parker helped him into his Jansport backpack. Though entirely too big for him now, he looked heart meltingly adorable, his little hands grasping the straps as he bent forward under the weight.

She’d carry it for him of course, and she’d make very certain Kyle carried it for him too, but she couldn’t help but snap a few quick pictures first. She didn’t plan on sharing them, but she wanted to remember this moment for the rest of her life.

 

Chapter End Notes:

No promises, but suggestions made by readers of this story may appear in the comment area of Eli's channel. I usually never 'break the fourth wall', but this is minor and potentially fun. Remember Ally's highly selective. Even if she reads the suggestion, there's no guarantee she'll mention it to Eli or comply verbatim. She may modify it into something similar.