- Text Size +
KIM'S SMALL PROBLEM

"Thanks for coming over..." I said to Kim, as I finished hooking some stuff up.

"Yeah, sure" she said, sitting down on a couch. "But why did you want me to come over again??"

"You see...." I began, while putting some more stuff together "I found this weird box and it had this huge machine in it, Im not sure what it does... I thought maybe you could help me put it together...."

"Yeah, sure" she said, getting up, "Just connect that wire to that... there ya go...."

The machine was some kind of large ray gun thing. It looked kind of dangerous and Im not sure what it was doing at my house.

"Looks kinda cool" Kim said, looking over the shiny machine. It was cool, but I couldnt help wondering just what it did... it had all these weird numbers displayed on screen, and these percent signs. "I'll take a picture of it"

But while Kim was getting her camera, I couldnt help but fiddle around with the buttons on the machine. I didnt even notice it as it whirred to life behind me.

"Whats that sound??" Kim asked, as she got her camera.

"I dont know" I said, not really paying attention. I randomly typed in the number 3 and the machine said '3%'. I hit 'OK' on the main screen and suddenly the machine started rattling and pointed itself at Kim. I tried to stop it, but it was locked onto her. "KIM LOOK OUT!!"

"Huh? AHHH!"

The machine zapped her with this weird ray thing and she started glowing orange. Then she started shrinking and getting smaller and smaller and smaller...

"KIM!!" I screamed, pulling all the levers to try to get it to stop. I noticed a percent sign that was going down the more she shrunk. It had started at 100 and was down to 34 now.... could it be? I had set it to shrink her to 3% of her normal size??

"Help me...." she sobbed, still getting smaller.

Finally the machine stopped on it's own, but Kim was crying now and was only an inch or so tall. I went over closer to her but she screamed and backed away, hiding under a table.

"Stay away!" she said, still crying "You might step on me!"

"I wont..." I said, putting my hand down on the ground. She got on and I put her down on the table now.

"You...you made me tiny..." she sighed, wiping her tears.

"I know, Im so sorry..." I said "The machine... mustve been a shrink ray...."

"So, what do we do?" she asked me "I dont want to stay shrunked..."

"I know, hold on" I said, going over to the console "Ill just set it to make you 100% of your size now..."

So I typed it in but the machine started sparking and exploded, sending parts all over the room.... it looked like Kim WAS stuck at that size.

"Oh nooooo...." she sobbed, realizing what had happened.

"No, no...." I said "Dont cry... you... you'll be alright..."

"But I dont want to be tiny...." Kim sobbed.

"Ok, ok" I said, not knowing what to do myself... this had been my fault. I ran over to the machine and tried putting the parts back in "I'll.... think of something...."

But I had no idea what I was doing... the machine had been mostly put together when I found it... I didnt know where the parts were supposed to go.

"Did you fix it yet??" she asked me.

"Uh... no...not yet...." I sighed, awaiting her further crying. I couldnt blame her for crying. I had kinda made her the size of a bug. "Are you...gonna be alright?"

"No..." she cried "Not if I have to stay tiny..."

"Well, only for a while..." I said "I should be able to fix this soon..."

"Well hurry..." Kim sighed and turned away from me now, so I didnt see her continue to cry.

Unfortunately, what I hadnt remembered is, the table I put her down on was the air hockey table. Just then, the table went on and the jets of air started to blow on her.

"Whoa" she gasped, "Is it drafty in here or what??"

Then she started to slide across the table.

"AHHHH!!"

I ran over to help her, but I had to turn the table off first.

"Help meeeee...." she screamed.

I finally turned the air off but her hair had been blown all over and she looked tired now.

"Are you hurt?" I asked her.

"Just on the inside..." she sighed.

"Cmon" I said, letting her ride on my hand "I'll get us something to eat..."

"Whatever" she said, blowing some of her hair out of her eyes.

So, I brought her up to my kitchen and laid her down on the counter.

"Anything you want to eat?" I asked her.

"I dont care... make anything" she sighed.

"Look, Im sorry you got shrunk..." I said "But Im gonna try to help you...."

"Its okay, I guess" she said "It was just kinda scary at first, realizing I was the size of a bug...."

"Im sorry for making you so small...." I sighed.

"Its not your fault...." she said "You didnt know what the buttons did...."

"But its not right" I said "In fact, if I dont unshrink you soon, Ill shrink myself down even smaller than you, so you dont feel so tiny..."

"NO, dont do that!!" she said "It isnt your fault..."

"I just feel so guilty" I said.

"Well dont" she said "It wasnt your fault"

So, I continued to make lunch, until I realized Kim had been quiet for quite a while. I glanced over to see.... she was GONE!

"Kim?? KIM?!"

I looked over to see her in a spider web.

"Get me out of this thing!!" she screamed.

I quickly busted the spider web and pulled her out. Then I watched in dismay as she was struggling to pull the webs off her.

"Stupid spiders..." she groaned.

"Im sorry" I said "I shouldve watched you better..."

"Its not your fault..." she sighed.

So, that night I set her down on the table near the machine as I tried to fix it.

"Did you fix it at all??" she asked.

"No..." I groaned, looking closer inside of it. "I cant tell but it looks like a part is loose inside it, that just isnt making it work right...."

I tried a full test run but all I got was a small ray that vanished quickly.... it wasnt strong enough to last long enough to re-enlarge anything....

"ARGH!!" I said, banging the side of the machine "Im sorry.... you'll have to stay tiny a little longer...."

"Its okay..." Kim sighed, and laid down on the table.

"You get some sleep" I said, putting a piece of paper over her like a blanket "I'll fix this thing..."

But I still couldnt, and it was now 2 A.M. when I felt really guilty.

"Poor Kim..." I said to myself "Its my fault she's shrunk.... and now this damn machine wont work.... Im the one who deserves to be shrunk to even smaller than her.... to 1% my normal size...."

"Voice command acknowledged" I heard a computer voice say.

"What??"

I turned around to see the machine now worked.... it heard me say '1% of my normal size' and was gonna zap me.

"Hey, no, dont.... AHH!!"

**The next morning**

"Bobby, you awake?" Kim asked, getting up early. "Bobby??"

"Ahhh!!" I screamed "Dont step on me....!"

"What? Oh... my..... god..." she sighed. I was now a speck, even smaller than her... I was the size of a bug compared to her, and since she was already the size of a bug.... well I was really small "What did you do to yourself??"

"It wasnt on purpose...exactly...." I sighed "I just said out loud that I should be shrunk to 1% of my size.... and the machine did it... Im now .068 inches tall...."

"Why would you do that??" Kim asked, picking me up now "Now neither of us can get unshrunk...."

"Well, not nessecarily..." I said, "I mustve fixed it seein as how it was able to shrink me in the first place..."

"But how are we gonna get there??" Kim asked "The machine is like miles away now"

"I know, I know...." I sighed, sitting down on her hand to think. "We'll just have to walk there, I guess...."

So, we walked and walked to the end of the room, but the machine was so big... there was almost no way we could use it...

"The console is way up there!" I said, pointing up to it "We have to type '100%' into it, so it makes one of us 100% of our normal size!"

"But how do we do that??" Kim asked.

"There's a hook way up there," I said, "If we had some kind of rope or something, we could grapple around it and get up there...."

"I have some dental floss in my purse, but its waaay over there..." Kim said

"Ill get it" I said, and I slipped into her purse to get the giant thing of dental floss out.

"Here goes nothing...." Kim said, and got the rope to catch the hook. We then pulled ourselves up top.

"Go over there, Kim!" I said pointing to where the ray was aimed "I'll hit '100%' on the console to unshrink you..."

"What about you??" she asked.

"One of us has to run the machine...." I explained "You can unshrink me when youre normal size again..."

"Ok" Kim said running off.

I jumped on the giant buttons and typed '100%' in.

Then the machine zapped Kim and she grew to normal again.

But then, the machine sparked right after that and gave off a small explosion.

"Oh no!" Kim cried, running over to me "Im normal size, but now youre STUCK like that..."

"Its okay" I said to her, "I guess I'll just have to get used to being a dust speck..."

"Aw, there has to be a way to fix it...." Kim said, banging on it.

"There's nothing that can fix it now...." I sighed.

"No! No!" she cried, striking the machine again. "You CANT be tiny forever, I wont let you be..."

Then I noticed a single tear form under her eye. The tear fell into the machine and it suddenly sparked to life again.

"Its working again!!" Kim said.

"Quick, put me under it"

Then, we got the ray to work for a few more seconds, just long enough to re-enlarge me and it exploded seconds later.

"Oh my god, youre back to normal!!" Kim exclaimed, and gave me a hug. I sighed with relief now to be my normal size.

Soon after the machine exploded, and was nothing more than a crater.

Guess that was the end of that then...

THE END

848 8798