- Text Size +
Story Notes:





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

"Currently approaching system 4B5F29."

-About time! I was about to die of boredom here. Alright computer, which planet are we going to visit first? Where can I have a good time while you do your work?


"Actually, we are here strictly to harvest the sun and planets of this system for resources. None of them are suitable for a life form of your size. Analysis of the samples and pictures we received reveals it is likely that one of the planets harbors life, none that made contact with the Empire. I can provide a more complete analysis once we enter the system."


- Let's do it then. If there is no advanced life we don't need to get permission to enter. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner we can get to a more interesting system.


Dia was a space harvester working for the Empire. Even if she got to travel around the galaxy, it was a monotonous job. Most of the places she went to were easy routine jobs : get permission to enter the system, harvest resources from a planet, move on. Sometimes she'd get lucky and enter a well known system and could at least have a good time while her ship did its work, and sometimes she would get a dead system like this one, where her only company would be rocks. The main reason it was worth coming here was that it had a sun, which would provide a very good source of energy for months. 


Still, some dead systems were better than others. She would get to explore planets and see landscapes no one else would ever see. This one however, was one of the smallest system she had seen. Small, of course, relative to her. Dia is part of the Bramarii, one of the ancient races of the universe. Luckily for the everyone, the Bramarii were not among the first to invent space travel and were few in numbers. The Bramarii came from planet Bramar, a gigantic planet, and they were the size of some of the smaller planets in the neighboring galaxies. They consumed enormous amounts of energy and resources, but they were few. The other races such as the Quantars and Relii, grouping together, were able to convince them to join the Empire. This is what kept the Empire together : none of the smaller races thought a war amongst themselves was worth getting weaker as a whole, and risking the Bramarii taking over the Empire by force.


For Dia, this made this job very easy. Her size allowed her to manipulate tools that could drill a planet's core and extract minerals and gases. Her ship only needed to accommodate her size, her tools and the cargo she transported, but didn't have to be fancy. She obviously carried a microfier, to be able to go down on Empire planets. Size rules were established all across the Empire to avoid any incidents, and the Bramarii had to reduce their size to twice the tallest local race or smaller.