- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The plot thickens! As promised, there is some action in this chapter, with the official introduction of the girls father and the return of Janine!! Thank you for taking the time to read this story and please leave a comment at the end. Suggestions are always welcome! :)

 

Adult life is not easy, especially if you are a renowned scientist. Dr. Edgar Sullivan, head of the bioengineering sector at the local University, has been struggling with the Mass Mutation Formula for long 6 years now. Pressure pours in from every side for actual results – mass growth or mass shrink – He have to come up with some result by the start of the next week, otherwise his budget and position would be in jeopardy…

Money wasn’t really the problem. His image and power on the other hand… the constant mockery behind his back, the failure in front of his daughters and, God forbid, his ex-wife. No! Edgar had to have a breakthrough… and it came… twice in the same week. First he talked on Monday with Jake.

Showing the formula to Jake was more desperation than anything else. He expected nothing from seventeen years old boy with barely a semblance of formal education. But the boy has actually shown some degree of talent! “If you are talking about altering mass” he said when looking at the research papers “It’s impossible for the human body because it works in a state of homeostasis, but there are animals whose homeostasis is intrinsically linked to their smaller or bigger stature. So, what you need is to alter this state humans have by adding something these animals have”.

“homeostasis, intrinsically linked” where did he learned such complicated words? Certainly not at the crap school he sent him to. He adopted Jake as part of the laboratory ‘social responsibility campaign’ and because he needed to cut costs by firing the maid and it worked out better than expected. The orphan worshiped him out of sheer gratitude, cleaning, cooking and acting as babysitter all for free!

“Wish I’ve had this idea sooner. I am such a genius! Now he even wants to leave and find a job to help with the bills.”

Jake’s idea was brilliant, but lacked a very important part. Than the second breakthrough came to him on Friday, right after his two younger daughters usual quarrel ended the usual way (with the mother… Jake’s intervention), Edgar decided to get out of bed. Truth be told, the good doctor was not a very good father, although he himself was not aware of this fact. Assent every whim being a far more easy path to win love and respect than actual  fatherhood, a path often rewarded only with contempt or/and hatred.

So you can imagine this man’s surprise in finding Janine sitting on her bedroom floor crying rivers in a silent sob. Should he enter the room? Should he say something or just leave her be? He didn’t have the slightest clue. She seemed to be muttering something.

“What is she doing?”

That’s when it hit him. The second breakthrough.

 

--------

 

Stomping all the way to her room, Janine couldn’t believe when she leaned against the bed and felt a squirming beneath her right foot. There, fighting to free itself from the crevices of her big slender sole, the ant she thought to have crushed at the kitchen was squirming in agony.

Janine smiles with delight at the pathetic scene before her eyes. The insect fought with all its might to survive, but for her all that might was barely perceptive, barely a itch on her enormous sole.

 

- So… you are just an ant, aren’t you? – She scrunches her sole with a laugh, the wrinkles smothering the insect body, leaving only the head visible – Don’t be afraid. Big sister will take good care of you…

 

Janine extends a finger and starts poking the ant. Unable to understand what was happening, the insect flaps his antennas in an attempt to call for help   – Hihihi. Stop! You tickle! – The fun is short lived. Janine’s feet involuntary jolt together, putting the ant out of its misery.

SCRUNCH

 

- NO! No, no, no! Not again! – Janine stretches her foot as hard as she can and scrapes the insect off the surface with her index finger. It’s dead. Another victim crushed by her. – I am sorry! I am so sorry! I didn’t mean to!

 

She cries desolated, letting her defenseless minuscule victim fall to the ground and runs to the bathroom locking the door behind her.

That’s when Edgar comes in. He didn’t comprehend what just happened and didn’t really care to also. The important thing was on the floor. The ant drenched in his daughter foot lint and sweat… cof, cof, I mean, DNA, drenched in Janine’s DNA.

“That’s it! HAHAHAHA! I am saved! I am truly a genius!!”

Silently, he recovered the insect from the ground and tip toed his way back to the door. But, before leaving, he glanced at the bathroom listening to Janine’s cry and whispered: thanks daughter. Your big feet will bring forth a scientific revolution”.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you for reading this far and I hope you liked. Please leave a comment even if just to say how bad the story is. It’s my first time writing and I really want to improve.

On a side note, some ideas came to my mind while writing this chapter. I might have a second story to work sooner than I anticipated! :)