- Text Size +

Chapter 7: The train ride

"What a weird dream." Kevin mumbled to himself as he woke up with a little bit of a headache from the strangest nightmare he's ever had. He felt somehow exhausted from the sex last night but decided to shrug it off as it probably will go away with a warm bath.

As Kevin sits down on the bed preparing himself for the long walk to the shower, he noticed a piece of paper with a familiar handwriting on it laying at the bedside table in front of the lamp. Where most people would just send a text, Emily always left a note whenever she had to leave early for work. That's one of the little things that he loved about her, he felt that such gesture is kind of romantic.

Kevin immediately stood up as he looked at the clock on the wall and realized he's almost late. He had to leave soon since he needs to walk a few blocks to get to the subway station.

After shower, Kevin is flustered when he found out that his work clothes is a little bit loose on him. The shirt cuffs extended ever so slightly further down his wrists, while the trouser cuffs hung just a bit lower than usual. He found that he had to pull all the way until the second to last hole on the belt just to keep his trousers from falling down."Huh, strange. I must have been losing weight. Might need to start excercising again pretty soon. Good thing I have the tennis practice with Maria." Kevin said to himself being optimistic as he finished getting dressed.

Kevin enjoyed the fresh air as it's been a while since he walked by the neigborhood. Taking the walk to the station might just be what he needed to get his mind off that dream. He remembered a back alley that would cut a few minutes of the time and decided to take the shortcut.

While strolling through the narrow street he noticed two young girls around Mia's age walking past him, both looked quite attractive despite their contrasting wardrobe of choice. There's nothing unusual about them, except for the fact that they must be over 6 feet tall, Kevin thought. He can't help but look at and compare his body with them as they were passing him by. He noticed that one of them were wearing high shoes that would add around two inches to her height. Still that would make her at least 6'1. Kevin's train of thoughts is suddenly interrupted with the sounds of the subway trains passing by.

The station looked a lot more crowded since the last time Kevin had been there. After queueing for a few minutes Kevin finally got his ticket and got into the subway just moments before the door closed. There was no empty seat left so he ended up standing for the whole ride.

"Great." he said to himself sarcastically. Being used to towering over most people, Kevin noticed that there are a lot of tall passengers in that train. He knew for a fact that most girls are 5'4 to 5'6 in height, which comes up to just slightly above his shoulder. Being sandwiched between two girls, Kevin can't help but subconsciously measure them up against him. His butt is directly in contact with a bigger pair to his left, which belongs to a girl wearing a floral top and tight jeans. He could feel that her plump bottom is slightly higher than his and that the fact that he couldn't look over her head. On his right was a tall couple who stood just a few inches shorter than him. That was the first time Kevin didn't feel so tall in a crowd.