- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
‘It wasn’t fair’, Brian thought to himself as he tossed and turned on his bunk, ‘it just wasn’t fair’. Here he was, in a state federal holding cell, awaiting his prosecution for the most ridiculous of crimes. All because he was different, all because he believed in something that was against what was considered “normal”; but what is normal? Brian didn’t know anymore. Weren’t there activist groups trying to get this whole issue re-written into the constitution? Didn’t they promise an end to all the suffering, prejudice and pain?

Brian sighed as he looked out the barred-window at the clouds going by in the sky. “I guess every belief needs a martyr” he said out loud to no one but himself. Closing his eyes, he began to painfully remember how this whole mess had started in the first place…

“Excuse me sir, can I help you?” the lady asked Brian with a smile.

Brian smiled back. “Yes” he said, “I’ll have a double mocha latté, two sugars, please.”

“Coming right up” she said, turning around to the coffee machine.

Brian looked around the café as she prepared his specialty drink. This wasn’t the kind of place that Brian was known to frequent, hell, he was quite sure that he had never been in here before. He used to run past it every day on his daily jog never once thinking twice about entering it. He didn’t even like coffee. So, why was he in here?

“That’ll be four dollars and fifty seven cents” she said as she placed the cup of coffee down on the counter.

Brian nodded as he reached into his front left pocket and retrieved his wallet. Opening the wallet, he pulled out a five dollar bill, along with a small slip of white paper. He looked at it a moment, eyeing it, and instantly began to sweat. His heart skipped a few beats and he felt sick. Suddenly, something went off in his mind and told him to put the white piece of paper back into the wallet and forget about it.

However, he refused to listen and placed the white piece of paper underneath the five dollar bill and handed it to the girl across the counter. She takes it, not even noticing it, and hands Brian his change.

“Have a nice day” she says to him with a smile.
Brian nods, “You too.”

‘Oh well’, Brian thinks as he grabs his coffee and walks away, ‘no harm, no foul. ‘

“Sir, wait!” the woman calls after Brian, which turns him around in time to come face to face with her, knocking both of them down to the ground and sending Brian’s coffee flying up and between them; as well as all over the floor.

“Oh my God, I am so, so, so sorry!” the girl says to Brian while grabbing a handful of napkins from the counter.

“Uh, it’s all right, don’t worry about it” Brian says as he takes the napkins and starts wiping the coffee from his clothes.

“Let me get you another coffee” she says as she hurries back to behind the counter.

“No, that’s all right, you really don’t need to—“

“Oh, no, no, I insist!” she says as Brian sits down in a chair, hearing the coffee machine going once more.

‘Smooth move, ace’ Brian thinks to himself as he continues to whip away the coffee stains, ‘Now she’ll never want to go out with you.’

“Here you go, sir, I am so sorry about that!” the girl says as she walks over and hands Brian his coffee.

“Don’t worry about it, really” Brian says with a smile.
The girl smiles back. “Well, if you need anything else, just let me know.”

“I will; thank you.”

‘She didn’t even mention anything about the note’ Brian thought as he watched the girl head back behind the counter, ‘So much for that, then.’

Brian begins to sip his coffee as he turns his head away from the girl to watch a news report on a television set that’s situated in the top corner of the café. There is some kind of rally going on in front of the Capital Building in Washington. Hundreds of people are standing around a podium where a middle aged black man stands addressing the crowd.

“My brothers and sisters, I ask you, are we not all members of the human race?” the man behind the podium asks the crowd. “As a society we see through such physical attributes as the color of our skin, we can overlook our different nationalities, and even our respective religious backgrounds. Yet, why still, do the people in power suppress our beliefs and our respects for change? They call us different; they call us monsters, and even the scum of the Earth, but I say THEY are the monsters!”

The man points behind him at the capitol building as people in the crowd clap their hands in approval, and shaking their signs that say, “Size DOES matter” and “Equal rights for equal sizes!”

“Now, to show all of them up in Washington that we are serious, I would like to invite my girlfriend up to the podium right now” the black man says as he extends an arm outward. “Maria?”

Brian watches as the camera pans over to see a beautiful Latino woman, maybe a bit younger than the man behind the podium (but the same height), walk over and stand next to him. She looks at him, as he looks at her, and they lean in towards each other.

‘Oh my God’ Brian thinks as he watches on, ‘are they really going to--?’

Suddenly, screams fill the air as men in riot suits rush in and separate the man and woman from behind the podium, dragging them away from each other and off camera. Other men in riot gear try to get the crowd to leave but they start to fight back, which soon erupts into an all out brawl. Tear gas is soon employed as people are viciously beaten and bloodied. The news station quickly cuts to a report of how a bunch of firefighters rescued a cat out of a tree, as well as a man, who had run up the tree to escape the cat.

Brian sighed and shook his head. ‘Things will never change’ Brian thought, ‘they’ll just always stay the same’. Drinking the last bit of his coffee he got up and went over to the trash, about to throw away his empty cup, when he noticed something odd. There was something written at the bottom of the cup.

“Back alley@5pm,” the bottom of the cup said.

Brian turned and looked at the girl behind the counter who was now serving another customer. She turned and noticed Brian however, and gave him a wink. Brian smiled. ‘I guess I was wrong’ he thought as he casually walked out of the café.