- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I was going to tie this one to Chapter 3 but figured it was long enough to get its own chapter. Here there be mouth exploration! 

Team C navigated the lumps and crevices of the great pinkish red cliff face to the best of their abilities. The target appeared to be docile, and from the info they had gathered from Team A's observations, the way in was open to them, but to get there they first had to reach the entrance between the two large ridges.

Each breath the target made sent out typhoon level winds that would certainly threaten to blow most ships off course, but that was exactly why team C was sent for this task. Being equipped with the most durable portion of the scouting main ship, they were the crew sent on journeys too dangerous to most. Strong engines to keep the ship steady in the most averse conditions. A hull that could handle both physical and acidic damage, as well as purified oxygen filtered to handle even the most toxic of environments.

"Sir! We see the opening!" one of the crew members called out. Sure enough, around the corner of the impossibly large red ridge, there was a dark black hole.

"Full speed ahead!" the team leader called out and the ship was instantly blasted forward.

As they approached the hole they turned on the ship's floodlights being careful to aim it directly at the hole. Team A's report had mentioned the target's eyes were closed, however a bright light could often be noticed even with eyes shut.

The light revealed the great white boulders which could destroy almost anything that entered the slimy cavern. Luckily for the team, the target appeared to be restful enough that the boulders were parted giving them a straight way in.

"Lucky day!" Team C's leader smirked as the ship continued its quick journey.

Timing their position with the target's breathing, they flew over the gap just as her exhale had ended. For a brief moment, with the aid of the great flood light, they hovered in spot being able to view everything that lay beneath them. The giant white boulders, the thick, wet, nobbly wormlike creature that guarded the cavern, as well as a small ball hanging from a thin strand of red flesh that hovered above of the tunnel leading deeper into the target's body.

All this observation was done in a half a second however, as soon after the target began to inhale again sucking the ship straight into her mouth.

"FULL REVERSE ENGINES!" Team C's leader cried out exhilarated at the action. This was all going according to plan.

By angling the engines the ship was pushed downwards in spite of still being sucked forwards. Once it was low enough, the red slimey tongue blocked the airflow causing the ship to fly forwards with extra momentum nearly crashing it into the soft ground beneath the tongue. "The bed of the beast" as he liked to call it.

"Hahaha! That was great! Great work team!" Team C's leader chuckled. "Now let's get to work! You know what to do!"

Having adapted to their new environment, they now began their duty. Turning the floodlight they began scanning the white boulders surrounding them for any resources that might be stuck to them. They didn't need a lot, only a sample.

Water dripped from the massive cavern as the massive tongue above them shifted. You could almost turn this cavern into a country itself, though few parasitians had the gumption to live in such a dangerous location.

"Sir... we can't find anything!" one of the crew members cried out confused. "But that's impossible... a creature this size clearly needs food to live!"

Team C's leader shook his head.

"I have seen this before." he replied. "Some primitive species are forced to eat foods that can destroy the white boulders in the cavern. To combat this, they often use special chemicals to clean all traces of food residue from the boulders to prolong their lifespan."

The crew all stood nervously. "But sir.... isn't that bad news for us??"

Team C's leader let out a mighty laugh. "Bad? Why it's the best news we could get! It means we will have access to powerful chemicals few other colonies can get their hands on. Think of how much we will be able to make with that!"

His laughter died down as he turned back towards the tunnel leading downwards. "Besides..." he continued in a more solemn tone. "It doesn't mean we cant' find what we're looking for... just that we'll have to travel further to find it."

The crew followed their leader's gaze to the dark wet inviting tunnel nervously, as the team leader jumped on the radio.

"Ya heard that all Captain?" he called out.

"It's as you said..." Captain Thulumn replied. "Do as you see fit. I trust your judgement."

With a nervous but excited smile, the team leader jumped onto the controls. "Hang on!" he cried. "You're about to see quite the tour!"

With the confidence that only a brash captain like he could manage, Team C's leader navigated the ship towards the back of the tongue. As he flew, he lowered one of the ship's arms and began swinging it wildly.

As the ship reached the back of the tongue it reached a large pool of water that had dripped down from the moist ceiling. Much to the crew's confusion, the leader jammed the ship's arm into the liquid creating waves as they flew around in circles. Finally as the waves grew large enough, they began to trickle off the back of the tongue. As one final large drop of liquid fell into the pool from the ceiling it was enough to offset the whole balance of the lake. The tongue moved causing the entire contents of the lake to spill down the tube taking team C's ship with it.

The crews' confusion was finally addressed as they slid down the thick wet tube and approached a large flap that had been open letting air pass through. As the water they were a part of approached, the flap instinctively closed taking the ship with it down into the depths of their target.