- Text Size +
“Alright! Let’s get this slumber party underway,” Futaba said cheerfully, walking through her bedroom door, leading in her friends, Makoto and Ann. They’d planned this sleepover for the whole week, thinking about having a nice night to themselves away from their usual everyday drama sounded amazing.

They all stepped in, their bare feet patting along on the floor (as it’s traditional to take your shoes off when entering a home). What they didn’t know, however, was that far below them, millions of eyes were watching them, and no there weren’t any hidden cameras. Entire cities full of people had woken up not long ago, finding themselves shrunken to a ridiculously small size, even the tallest buildings were less than half a millimeter. From above the girls couldn’t really see anything out of the ordinary, if anything the floor just looked dusty.

“Yeesh, Futaba, don’t you ever dust?” Ann asked, smiling playfully.

“Hey!” Futaba answered back, “you should be glad I even picked up the soda cans by my computer. It was way worse earlier.”

"Which reminds me.. before we start hanging out I should really check my social media feeds on my computer," Futaba said again, making her way to her computer desk. The others walked in and sat on her bed, Ann at the foot of the bed and Makoto fully at the head.

"But you checked your feed on the way here.." Ann said, remembering Futaba having her head buried in her phone as they walked.

"Yeah but that was like, 10 minutes ago! You know how fast things change online!? I'm also stalking the activity of some potential targets for the Phantoms, so it's not completely selfish," Futaba said, trying to rationalize it as she sat in her special computer chair.

"Not completely, I suppose.." Makoto mumbled quietly, not totally buying into the internet addict's reasons.

"Okay, fine. Just try to hurry so you don't spend all night on that thing," Ann said, giving in. It's not like they could convince her otherwise.

"Will do!"

-

Tae Takemi didn’t know what to do, so she just ran. The streets had been in complete chaos for what felt like hours. The once blue sky that was above them faded to white, onto to now be replaced by the dark underside of a desk, the sun was now gone and replaced with a bedroom light that was left on for the day, not very energy efficient I might add. Thousands piled out into the streets in a confused rabble of panic.

“What the hell is going on out there!?” Tae demanded to know as she tried to peek out the blinds of her clinic

Suddenly the ground beneath them began to shake. Once. Twice. Three times. An entire collection of earthquakes that none had ever felt before, each one getting louder and more powerful than the last.

At a point, though, the tremors grew too much. As Tae left her clinic, hobbling with her hand on the wall for balance, she saw a large ocean of people trying to get out of the way. A large chunk of a building had shaken loose, falling down and crashing into the neighboring building. The collective rubble of concrete and office furniture fell from the sky and Tae saw it land on a group of 15 people. Screams erupted as everyone tried to run away, getting away from the scene and any large buildings that began to crack. As some parted, Tae could see the mass of rubble on the ground. A woman’s manicured hand hung out of the mass, completely limp as a pool of blood began to seem from the cracks in the hovel.

Soon everyone was running, trying to get to the local parks and away from any tall buildings. Tae ran, shoving people out of her way as she went; men, women, even small children were pushed aside in the name of survival. Those who couldn’t run were huddled in fear as they were accidentally kicked and trampled over.

Voices were heard from far above as the earthquakes reached their peak, echoing off every wall and making them nearly impossible to make out. Tae looked behind her, trying to find the ominous source of the noise.

"W-what the hell??" Tae shouted, seeing the strange new sky for the first time. Even further back from the desk, the only other thing she saw was a pair of pale shins that moved with each step. Tae couldn't make them out, but they did look familiar…

"Fu… Futaba!?!?"

-

"Alright, alright. I'll try to be fast," Futaba said to her friends as she sat down in her very comfortable gaming chair, which cost her quite a pretty penny. Eagerly, Futaba cracked her knuckles before switching on her PC, a low hum being barely audible as it started.

As she scooted her chair under her desk, she had no idea of the destruction and death she was causing.

Her toes were taller than mountains that kept creeping forwards. Each tiny step taking out dozens of City blocks with each toe. Her toe-print would meet with the roofs of buildings and in less than a second be flattened into rubble, along with anyone inside.

Screams grew louder as they saw the pale towers creeping closer until finally, they were right above them. Futaba’s toes came crashing down, turning everyone beneath them into little bloody stains almost impossible to see with the human eye. Microscopic organs and severed limbs were stuck in the crevices of her skin, and whatever her toes didn’t destroy was easily flattened beneath the dusty ball of her foot. Hundreds of lives were crushed, snapped, and popped out of existence with each step, all while Futaba was just watching her computer boot up.

Tae continued to run through the city, her heart pounding. She ran through narrow alleyways filled with cloudy dust to help avoid the screaming crowds, making more distance towards the local park. By the time she made it, Futaba’s toes had stopped their progressive bombardment on the city, now standing a few blocks away, high and tall.

“Fu… FUTABAAAAAAA!” Tae screamed, trying to get the gigantic girl’s attention.

Of course, she wasn’t heard. None of them were as they all screamed and cried for some kind of savior, or to wake up from this terrible dream. But this was reality. And in reality, they were just tiny mites at the feet of a computer nerd now scrolling through her social media feed.

They were all helpless as she stretched and scrunched her bored little toes, showing off her recently done black toenails while grabbing all those who had survived between them and crushed them in their grasp. Only a few lucky ones would survive that, if you could even call them lucky. One woman found herself pinned in the street. Her lover she was running with crushed beneath Futaba’s second toe right next to her, along with her left arm. She cried loudly, feeling her arm flattened but not able to rip it from the crushed tendons. The next movement from the massive toe would smear her across the pavement.

Tea watched from the park with her heart gripped. She could hear that every time this girl moved her toes, more screams could be heard in the distance. More buildings would fall, and then they’d all stop as they came back down to the ground.

All this death… all this destruction… all of it caused just by one girl on her computer…

Wait… That’s it!

Tae took out her cell phone from her pocket and quickly checked it. Full bars! She had to get her attention and find out how the hell this all happened, or at least get her to move her damn feet before she killed them all!

Tae opened up her messaging app and quickly typed something out.

*Ping!*

Futaba looked down at the corner of her screen, surprised to be getting an instant message at his hour.

Tae Takemi, 11:32 PM : FUTABA! STOP!!!

Weird, she thought, why would Tae be messaging her now? And what was she supposed to stop doing? Oh well, she’d soon find out, she could see the little symbol that let her know that Tae was typing something. As she stared at it for a few seconds, waiting for the message to come through, Futaba noticed just how tired and stiff her body felt sitting down for those few minutes. She’d gotten more used to an active lifestyle these past few weeks, she could just internet surf like she used to. She needed to stretch.

Meanwhile, Tae was busy typing on her phone the message to Futaba, trying to go along the lines of “STOP THERE’S A BUNCH OF CITIES AT YOUR FEET” while trying to make it not sound like a morbid joke. She’d sometimes point out jokingly at the amount of insect life people killed every day just to make people uncomfortable, so this probably wasn’t outside her usual gallows humor.

While she was typing, however, she noticed the light above her quickly fade. Screams rose from around her once more as people began to run again. As she looked up to see what it was, her fingers froze. Futaba had lifted her foot again, and now the dusty heel of her foot was quickly sailing towards the small park.

“F-Futaba!! Stop!!” Tae screamed hopelessly as the doughy skin came closer and closer. She tried to run away with all the others, but that was still a pitiful attempt. Quickly, the heel descended from the sky, covering them all with a quiet THOOM as dust filled the surrounding streets.

For those just a few blocks further near the end of the desk, all they saw was the heel making contact with the ground, and the loud screaming from the horizon quickly fade out. Above them stretched the soft, and now dirty sole of this teenage computer-freak. She curled her toes and stretched them out again. Her black nails seemed to shine in the soft light, while from the bottom of her feet, building debris and some smashed body parts that were stuck to her feet now fell freely, landing on more buildings and people, though not causing the same amount of damage her pinkie toe alone could unfold.

If she looked at the bottom of her feet, Futaba would see some small clumps of “dust”, and very very tiny red spots all over her sole. One of those spots, however, now just a clump of smashed human organs near a lab coat and broken phone, where the splattered remains of her friend, Tae Takemi.

-

Futaba pushed her chair back from her computer, finally feeling complete in her online duties. She’d watched for Tae’s message never came, she just seemed to stop typing after only a few moments, the next second her status said she was offline.

She was probably out drinking, Futaba thought, or testing out one of her new medicines; it was always hard to tell what was going on with that woman.