- Text Size +
Makoto leaned back against a pillow at the head of Futaba’s bed. She felt bored. What could she do right now? Ann was busy rubbing her own feet down and Futaba was still scrolling through her computer. She didn’t bring much else to keep occupied while her friends were busy, just some pajamas they’d all left in the living room for when they were ready to sleep. And it wasn’t that she felt like she was being left out, she just felt useless doing nothing.

Makoto glanced over beside Futaba’s bed. The shelf next to it looked like it hadn’t been used in ages, covered in a thin layer of dust. She lifted a finger and ran it across the surface, making a fine line in the tiny particles before lifting her finger up to see all the collected dust.

Of course this wouldn’t be notable if it actually was dust. No. The white covered shelf was actually covered in hundreds and hundreds of concrete buildings, and for the past five minutes people had been screaming for the giant girl’s attention, her face looming far above them. Many had resorted to getting onto the roofs of the taller buildings and shouting as loud as they could, some even banging on metal to make a sharper sound. The screams for attention soon turned to screams for terror, though, as Makoto brought her massive finger up and onto a section of the city. It only got worse as her finger began to scrape along the ground, smashing into building and flattening anyone in its path into a fine paste against the rubble.

Some of those who were on the roofs panicked as Makoto’s finger came closer, some opting for the much easier way out of jumping off the buildings and dying much faster. A man had jumped off his local office building and hit the ground with a sickening crack. He wasn’t dead though, his hip was cracked and a few ribs severely broken, but having not landed on his head he was still in critical condition. As he coughed up some blood on the shelf’s surface, he looked over to where he saw the monstrous digit coming from. He could make out every line and crevice that made up Makoto’s fingerprint. He hacked up blood one last time before the finger overtook him, in a fraction of a second covering his body with soft flesh, before almost immediately becoming too much and flattening him with a muffled crunch.

Makoto brought her finger back up to her and looked at it inquisitively. All the clumps of smashed office buildings and stores reduced to rubble didn’t look that much different from thick dust. Though, as she squinted, she thought she could see some very very tiny little specks, all clumped together. A few survivors whose building was simply picked up rather than smashed.

Makoto sighed as she rubbed her fingers together, grinding the specks into further bloody dust. Seems this room had a noticeable infestation of dust mites or some other nearly microscopic invader. That’d explain all the dust everywhere, probably entire colonies everywhere.

“Um.. Futaba, do you have a dust cloth anywhere?” Makoto asked her friend.

“Yeah, should be by the door,” Futaba answered, not taking her eyes off her screen (or even blinking for that matter).

Makoto carefully got off the bed, not wanting to bump into Ann while she was busy. As she stepped onto the hard floor she had no idea that beneath the balls of her feet were dozens, if not hundreds of people who tried to get her attention, her sole flattening them with ease into tiny lumps of blood and guts.

As she walked, Makoto eyes the ground carefully, trying to step where she saw the biggest clusters of dust. She’d hoped to at least squish most of these annoying little pests before she got out the cloth, the bottom of her feet getting slightly covered in “dust” as countless building and people were squished like bugs. She showed and felt no remorse as she seemed to hobble around, stamping her feet lightly across the floor. Screams of panic echoed throughout the streets as their last sight was the annoyed girl’s face, right before her foot fell too close. Thousands of lives were snuffed out as she simply walked across the room and picked up the small white rag.

As Makoto walked by, stepping on the more major collections of buildings, she neglected the more clean and open areas where no buildings seemed to appear. Here there was still a large collection of people, though more spread out and without the danger of falling buildings. Among these lost and wandering people was a young woman with platinum hair, Sae Niijima. She walked around the barren landscape, her small heels clacking against the hard floor beneath her as she saw other concerned people wandering and trying to find their families and friends, unsure of where they all were.

As she kept walking, passing by an older man who kept shouting into the distance, the ground suddenly began to shake. Sae was shaken for a moment, forcing her onto one knee as she lost her balance.

Sae felt the tremor from behind her, but before she could look the ground shook again, this time even harder. When she finally managed to turn her head, in the distance all Sae could see was a massive foot, seemingly miles away from her. It was incredibly large, and looking very soft and the toe nails were painted a shade of purple that went well with the pale skin. The foot stood for a moment on a far away city; Sae could very faintly see buildings near it begin to fall and crumble, some screams even making it to her ears, there were so many of them. As her eyes trailed upward past the foot, past the shin and the knee, her gaze met with a very familiar looking skirt.

“M-Makoto!?” Sae said, having to take a step back from this shock. Somehow her little sister was now the biggest thing she’d ever seen! She must have been thousands, or even millions of feet tall! The idea of something, especially her sister being so massive…

But there was no time to think, as the tremors continued until Makoto made it to the room’s door. Each step sent out a shockwave of vibration all across Sae’s body, nearly making her sick. She watched her sister eye the ground carefully, almost looking annoyed as she dropped her foot on the major clusters of cities all around. Sae even flinched for a moment, and others around her screamed and ran as Makoto’s foot sailed directly over her and onto the nearest city, flattening hundreds of more with ease.

Finally, as Makoto stood by the door to grab the dusting cloth, Sae managed to regain some of her composure. All she had to do was get her attention. That would fix everything, right? Then she could find out how all this happened, and maybe save a few hundred or thousands of lives.

“Makoto!! Look down here!!” Sae yelled as loud as she could, seeing Makoto turn towards her, dusting cloth in hand.

Relief fell over Sae, as Makoto seemed to be looking right at her. She kept waving her arms frantically as her younger sister took a step forward, her sole landing relatively hard on the wooden floor as she crushed more buildings and people without noticing. Many had been trying to flee as the soft ball of her foot came down so suddenly. But this wasn’t the main concern for Sae, she just had to be noticed.

Sae’s relief soon turned to anxiety as Makoto got closer and closer, her footfalls getting louder and more powerful, until suddenly-

THOOM

THOOM

Sae found herself almost directly between Makoto’s bare feet. She looked panicked from one to the other, now seeing that her toes alone were taller than any building she’d ever heard of. The edges of her feet seemed covered in dust that Sae could actually see was broken up cement and rubble. And the blood… there was so many human-sized splatters of blood just at the edge of her big toe… It was a slaughter.

The sight was enough to nearly send Sae spiraling, but still she remained calm. All of this could be sorted out later. She looked up at her enormous goddess of a sister.

“M-MAKOTO! DOWN HERE!” Sae yelled, waving her arms as much as she could.

To her surprise, the monolith that was Makoto started to bend down, still looking at the patch where Sae was as she came to rest in a squatting position.

“Hmm…” Makoto mused, her tone sounding concentrated and her voice surrounding her now tiny older sister. “How pitiful. So many of you little parasites.. Making so much mess. Well, not to worry. I’ll be taking care of you all soon, erasing what damage you’ve caused to my friend’s room.”

“Um.. are you talking to my floor?” Futaba chimed in, looking over from her computer.

“Uh, n-no..” Makoto replied, flushing a little. She was just so bored, playing the defender of the floor just sounded cool in her head.

It worked on Sae, however. Did she really just call her pitiful? No, did she even see her???

“MAKOTO!!!” she screamed again, throwing her hands this way and that. But it did no good.

Makoto rocked forward on the balls of her feet until she fell on her knees with a big thud. The force of this was enough to knock Sae down considerably, making her fall forward onto her elbows as everything inside her shook.

Makoto lightly crawled forward, her knees now taking out dozens of fleeing innocence as she made her way to a larger city she could faintly see. By the time she got there, over two dozen people met their end at her kneecaps, not that she’d ever see the stains, however.

Sae, meanwhile, was now directly next to her giant sister’s toes. As she stood up again in a panic, she could look up and make out the underside of her sister’s heel, that being all she could see. It rose high like the tallest mountain in the world, with falling slopes that made up her wrinkled sole as she stood on her knees. Her heel was dusty, and even dirty in many small areas, but again Sae could point out what was dust and what was actually an office building recently ground to dust. Tiny red splotches still covered the underside of Makoto’s sole, each one a terrified life she’d squished out of existence. Sometimes, here and there, Sae could see an arm or a leg, or even an entire torso that managed to wedge itself inside one of the crevices on her sister’s sole, making the scene even more bloody and grotesque.

Sae seemed to be all alone for miles as she gazed in awe at her sister’s massive purple toenail, now only a short jog away from her. The toes seemed to easily move around as Makoto moved her body to dust the floor (meanwhile sweeping up hundreds of more lives).

“Makoto!” Sae said in a scream, trying to run as she saw the big toe inching closer and closer to her.

SKRRRRRRRRR

Makoto’s nail scratched easily against the floor, to Sae sounding louder than a chainsaw.

SKRRRRRRRR

“STOP!!!”

SKRRRCLSKDJFLK

And in an instant, Sae was gone.

Makoto had unknowingly been moving her toes as she swept, and soon, moved it over and flattened her “big” sister. As Sae tried to run, the toenail overtook her. It wasn’t a soft crushing death like the others. Sae was knocked to the ground by Makoto’s powerful toe, while the hard surface slowly covered her, first flattening her legs until they flattened to nothing, then to her torso where the hard purple nail squeezed her ribs and internal organs until blood launched out of the woman’s mouth, like smashing a hammer on a tube of toothpaste. Until finally the nail covered her whole, and dragged whatever was left of Sae’s remains across the floor like spreading butter on toast. Her bones, limbs and organs getting twisted and mangled until only a line was left on the floor, and a red-black blotch of blood stained the top side of Makoto’s purple nail.

“Makoto..” Futaba said awkwardly, standing up from her computer chair, “you know we have a dust broom for our floors, you don’t have to do it by hand.”