- Text Size +

8 year-old Asunción Montsalvatge was obviously the most similar creature to a God in Earth. Her size control was unlimited; she could be parsecs tall in matter of seconds if she wished so, and was able to shrink or grow anything or anyone at will - even if she hardly never used this power aside from keeping her clothes growing with her. On the other hand, she was able to revert any human and material damage she would cause, even erasing any unpleasant feeling in victims and witnesses; and she was absolutely invulnerable, no projectile, blade, explosive, substance, virus, radiation, chemical, lack of..., phenomenon, etc. being possibly able to harm her at the slightest even at human size.

Fortunately, she was an extremely sweet if playful child who would never harm anyone on purpose nor feel nothing remotely similar to a power intoxication even when being hundreads of miles tall - indeed, she was extremely submissive, even if she had no problem in enjoying herself; she loved being a giantess, and was rarely seen at human size aside from the school periods. Indeed, she didn't even shrink for sleeping. The house was placed on the top of a hill, with no roads nor other housings, so she slept comfortably next to the house. Not to say, no burglar had ever targeted it.

She used to be the first one to get up, but today it was her brother Pascual that woke her up; it used to be like this in weekends and holidays. In such cases, Pascual would get out to the balcony in his pajamas and smash balls against her face with his tennis racket until she woke up.

- It would be much easier if you slept in the house, you know - Pascual grumbled, throwing the racket to the floor.

- Ah... good morn... - Asun replied sweetly, and fell asleep again with a smile in her face. Snorting, Pascual turned the hose on her, successfully awakening her this time. She stood up and stretched happily in her pajamas, casting a shadow over the balcony, as her brother went back to his bedroom with a sigh.

* * *

Pascual had a shower and changed clothes, then went down to the dining room. He nearly fell down the stairs as two imposing chords struck him as a mallet. Grandma Fuensanta was playing the piano at the yard, bells ringing fatally as she started Prokofiev's Sixth Sonata; she had been a virtuoso, and still played with as much drive as she did fifty years ago. As it was to be expected, Asun was lying face down next to the piano, utterly mesmerised. She was very sensitive to music, and Grandma Fuensanta was glad to cultivate such sensitiveness. Every holiday and weekend they would gladly spend hours like this; indeed, the first thing Asun would do in such days was picking the piano from the dining room with her thumb and forefinger and carefully placing it in the middle of the yard.

Yawning, Pascual walked to the kitchen, where her mother listened to the radio; a strident voice ranted and raved against the government, blaming it for the country's obvious balkanization. The hateful's presenter invective was so unbearable the boy was tempted to flee back to the dining room, skipping breakfast, but he finally picked three oranges, an avocado and a slice of bread.

- Today's report card day, isn't it? - Mother suddenly asked, lowering the volume - I hope I'm not in for an unpleasant surprise.

- Good morning. Don't worry, I'll pass them all... you should fear more Asun's grades, shouldn't you? - and he went to the dining room with the tray, closing the door behind him.

Pascual ate calmly watching TV, the [i]Tempo di valzer lentissimo[/i]'s captivating harmonies melting into Pocoyo's naïve voice. As he scraped the avocado's peel he felt like going outside. He stood up and went out to the yard by the opened sliding door as the Finale's martellato resounded furiously: tata ta-ta-ta-ta ta-ta-ta-ta tatatata-tatatata taaa-tata ta-tata ta-tata ta-tata ta-tata tatatata ta-ta taa-tata...; he walked away from the paved area and lied down on the grass, by her sister's shoulders. Finally, the bells peal slided deafeningly, the Sonata coming to its end.

- Exciting, isn't it? - says Grandma Fuensanta with a sigh, and takes a glass filled with orange juice from the adjacent plastic tables as Asunción nods happily - But it's not Prokofiev's most intense music. - and she took a sip - I remember when Mario M... gave the Spanish première of the Second Concerto, I was overwhelmed by the music. - another sip - Tempus fugit... he retired from teaching past week. He was so handsome back then...

- Mom, breakfast's ready - said Mother, leaning out from the house's main entrance. "Oh, is it?"; Grandma stood up with agility and disappeared in the house, waving to her beloved granddaughter. Asun sat up and sloped on the piano, then carefully pressed the keyboard with the tip of her índex.

- Did you notice? That cloud seems just like Don Z... when he frowns. - Pascual said. Asunción flopped down upon the hill, the mouth open, and giggled.

- It's true!, it's just like him - and she sat up, looking down innocently to her brother - Do you want me to try get it down?

- ...cut the crap. - the boy replied with a sigh - If you feel like growing larger, just do it.

And he went back into the house. Wondering if he had been a bit harsh to her little sister, Pascual walked to his bedroom, picked a book from his bedside table and turned back towards the dining room, sitting on the sofa. The narration took shape as he concentrated in the reading; but suddenly Rudin's declaration of love to Natasha was smashed to smithereens as Asun jumped on him as a wild animal would, and clinged affectionately.

- You spend so much time as a giantess that it feels awkward seeing you like this - Pascual said, ruffling her golden hair. - I'm going to the public library in a while, do you want me to pick a comic for you?