- Text Size +

My name is Monica Biles. You may know me as the "Tallest Person in the World" or the holder of the "World's Biggest Feet." Now you may think, "Wow, she probably bumps her head a lot," or "Wow, it must be hard for her to find shoes." Both of those are understatements. Really big understatements, no pun intended. Wanna know how? Read on!

 

I was born on August 17, XXXX, to my parents Mabel and Arnold Biles. They're originally from Ghana; they moved to America two years before I was born, shortly after my older brother Arthur was born. My mother is the oldest of three kids, having two younger brothers, while my father is the third of four kids, having two older brothers and a younger sister.

 

Now, my parents are pretty tall. They're both 6'5", pretty tall for my father, with him being about 7 or 8 inches taller than the average adult male, and very tall for my mother,, who's over a FOOT taller than the average adult woman. So you probably know where I'm going with this.

 

I was born weighing 14 lbs. 12 oz. and being 23 inches long, which is very big for a baby. I seemed to grow pretty fast even in my toddler years. When I was two, I was the same height as my older brother Arthur, who was 4 years old. We were both 4 feet tall, the height of the average 7-year-old. Really tall for my brother, HUGE for me. My parents were pretty surprised when they saw that we were the same height, but their jaws dropped when they saw that I was noticably taller than Arthur just a few months later.

 

I started Kindergarten at 4'11, taller than every student in the school (It only went up to 3rd Grade) I guess you really are tall when you're the tallest kid in your elementary school as just a kindergartener. I was pretty popular in my class, not just for height, but also for my feet.

 

My feet were very big for my height. When I started Kindergarten, I wore a 9 in Women's, which is VERY big, considering the fact most kids my AGE have feet that are about 9 SIZES smaller. My tall stature combined with my sizeable feet earned me the nickname "Bigfoot," though surprisingly, it wasn't used as an insult. During recess, we would play games where I would be the monster, chasing everyone around the playground.

 

In early Kindergarten, I was moderately popular, but people really started to take notice of me when they saw that I was growing really fast. I remember one day I was wearing some flip-flops and a kid named Mikey pointed at my feet and said, "Why do your flip-flops look so small?" I looked down and realized that my toes and heels were hanging over the edges. A few months prior my parents bought me those same flip-flops, well aware of my quickly-growing feet. They deliberately bought them big so that I could grow into them and use them for a couple of years. But now, in just a few months, my feet had outgrown these size 10.5 flip-flops. 

 

While I was wondering how I didn't notice it this morning, my teacher, Ms. Redding, walked past me and stopped. She turned back around, stepped closer to me, and we both simultaneously said, "Woah," upon noticing the fact that she was tilting her head upward a bit to look me in the eyes.

 

"When was the last time you got your height checked, dear?" she asked.

 

"Um, 3 months ago. I was 5'1"." I replied.

 

"Well, looks you've grown quite a bit since then, because you're taller than me now, and I'm 5'3"."  she said as she walked back to her desk.

 

"Wow, you're taller than Ms. Redding!" said Mikey. "Hey everyone! Monica's taller than Ms. Redding!"

 

I was bombarded with exclamations like "Wow, you're gonna be a giant!" and "You really can become Bigfoot! You just need to grow hair!" A girl reprimanded the boy who said that last one, and soon Ms. Redding had to break up the excitement.

 

As I sat back down, my knees pressing up against the bottom of my desk. I wondered, "What if I do become a giant?" I giggled at the thought. Little did I know that that silly thought would become a reality sooner than I thought...

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry about the cliffhanger, but I will continue the story soon, Please tell me what you think.